Off Topic Which salmon net to get?

Centerspin

I realized that my "big net" is not big enough for a 20+ lb salmon :) and the handle is too short b/c it's half stuck. Which nets are big and light and have a decent handle these days? :)

I've had a preference for "ranger" nets lately. I've got their "walleye flat bottom" series. I think it's the 25" hoop and find it handles all the fish I've thrown at it. Although a 48" pike is a bit of a struggle to get netted properly. They also have a "big game" line with 25+" hoops and 36" deep baskets. They're hovering around $150, but all aluminum and the telescopic handles are octagons so you don't have to fumble with it to line up the latch pins

The bigger your boat, the longer a handle you will want, just as an additional consideration. I have a lucky strike model, 36 by 26 inches. It fits em all so far, although it can get close, and if I was doing it again would probably go the next basket size up. If you can find a Beckman, they are nice.
One more little tip for you - fill the handle with Styrofoam or similar high buoyancy material. More than one net has found its way down to the goby playground

I second the Beckman nets. Sounds exactly like what you’re after. I did this same hunt a few years ago and found the Muskie style nets were more what I was after than the salmon nets. Wider baskets and much longer handles

Thank s guys, I'll check out all the options you mentioned including classifieds. For walleye I am thinking of trying a Ian Cummins pier net I got lately, It is light and has telescopic octagonal aluminum handle that goes from 4' to 12'. My boat is under 17' and I can net a fish good most of the time but planning to go with my wife a few times and the thought of landing fish then scares me :) there I d rather be able to do it all solo ;)

The bigger your boat, the longer a handle you will want, just as an additional consideration. I have a lucky strike model, 36 by 26 inches. It fits em all so far, although it can get close, and if I was doing it again would probably go the next basket size up. If you can find a Beckman, they are nice.
One more little tip for you - fill the handle with Styrofoam or similar high buoyancy material. More than one net has found its way down to the goby playground
excellent idea about filling the handle with styrofoam - but how is that accomplished ? Do you use a liquid/spray in version of some sort ? Or can you get granules some where to pour into the handle ?

excellent idea about filling the handle with styrofoam - but how is that accomplished ? Do you use a liquid/spray in version of some sort ? Or can you get granules some where to pour into the handle ?
Just take the rubber hand hold off. Underneath is an open tube. Keep stuffing Styrofoam until you can't put anymore in

Just take the rubber hand hold off. Underneath is an open tube. Keep stuffing Styrofoam until you can't put anymore in
The only jssue with this is you loose your telescoping abilities if space is an issue. But I do 100% believe every net needs some type of floating. I attach a pool noodle around the bottom of my basket so it floats and then my nets still collapse down for storage

I had a piece of the pink styrofoam that they used for insulation on my house. I took the net apart and pushed it through ( like cutting out cookies ) be careful to not over fill it or you may not be able to retract it enough to click. Tested it in a pool.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks