Where to go on Lake O

TMAN

Would like to give lake O a try but have no idea where to launch.... Where would be the closest launch to woodstock that would provide the possibility from success

Fisherman's pier. Head straight out to 90 fow, set up and work to 150 and back till you find them. Usually lots of boats out there to give you an idea.
I suggest you don't use braid. Hopefully we will get some West winds before next weekend, and this rain will bring the temp down a bit this end of the lake

Friend and I trailered to Port Credit two weeks ago and found a decent free launch on the south side of the Credit river bridge. Parking as well in a lot on the adjoining property. There are six or seven charter boats docked there as well. Being first timers one of the Captains was very helpful on directing us. We managed 2 Kings and had a good experience.
Hope this helps.

The Port Credit boat launch is great and it’s free and lots of parking. I typically head west towards the cement plant and will start anywhere in between 80-120 fow and take it from there. Watch what the other boats are doing as well as that can be an indicator as to what is happening.

The fleas are really bad this year ...not as bad as few weeks ago......i use braid on my dipsy ...20 lb PP collected double compared to my 50lb PP ....for rigger rods I switched to 40 lb big game and didn't have any fleas on it friday

Didn't have any on leadcore either

I always go out of Oakville ...its 18 $ parking /launch and must pay with credit card at kiosk.
I fish in smaller boats and find don't have to go far from mouth to be fishing

Bronte ramp is still closed ...so I go out of 16 mile creek which is Shipyard marina or also called Oakville Yacht club..

I've been out there 3 times last week and 7 this month . I usually setup in 80 troll out to 110 -120 looking for fish ...once Mark some ..then I head east or west depending on wind / waves
I've been doing ok east towards cement plant lately ...but never went west

Find bait and stay in that area ...bait has been up high 15- 35'
I run dipsy # 3 setting back anywhere from 140 -220 depending on marking
Riggers normally set at 45 and 63 down

I troll at 2.5 -3.2 mph

I do best on spoons but have got few on flasher / fly and or meat rigs
( moonshine wonderbread and bloody nose ) have done well this year
Greens , silver blues , and black /whites , and greasy chicken all do ok as well

The Port Credit boat launch is great and it’s free and lots of parking. I typically head west towards the cement plant and will start anywhere in between 80-120 fow and take it from there. Watch what the other boats are doing as well as that can be an indicator as to what is happening.

But is another 20 minute drive on the way in, and more on the way home. The QEW is a frustration if you are coming in from the west end. I like Promenade Park - free, lots of parking, but the drive home takes twice as long. You can also do Forans in Grimsby, or the Beacon at Jordan, but again, another 15 - 30 minutes - but the drive home is better

Spincast, why no braid?
your vertical lines (downriggers) will get covered in fleas, as mentioned. They have been so thick this year you can't reel after 30 or 50 foot of line is in. Thicker lines (40lb big game) works to keep them off and is much cheaper than the flea flicker speciality lines. The long lines won't be as bad, but will still pick them up. It was so bad at one point this year my terminal tackle and the fishhawk connectors were completely coated in them on a couple outings. Even the wire set up needed some surface slaps on the retrieve

Last edited:
Good to hear the credit launch is open. Haven't been down there since last September. Not that the closed ramp stopped me throwing in the tinner and pontoons for estuary fishing last fall....wont be long until the nighttime glow spoon bite starts :)

Anyone know if the Bronte launch is open as well?

Josh

I've seen them where you wind in so far than that's it jammed solid at the rod eye. I found a towel works pretty good at ripping those fleas off the line, your fingers are totally useless. It's better to get them off as you come in because getting them into your reel spool is bad news. (n):(

The fleas are really bad this year ...not as bad as few weeks ago......i use braid on my dipsy ...20 lb PP collected double compared to my 50lb PP ....for rigger rods I switched to 40 lb big game and didn't have any fleas on it friday

Didn't have any on leadcore either

I always go out of Oakville ...its 18 $ parking /launch and must pay with credit card at kiosk.
I fish in smaller boats and find don't have to go far from mouth to be fishing

Bronte ramp is still closed ...so I go out of 16 mile creek which is Shipyard marina or also called Oakville Yacht club..

I've been out there 3 times last week and 7 this month . I usually setup in 80 troll out to 110 -120 looking for fish ...once Mark some ..then I head east or west depending on wind / waves
I've been doing ok east towards cement plant lately ...but never went west

Find bait and stay in that area ...bait has been up high 15- 35'
I run dipsy # 3 setting back anywhere from 140 -220 depending on marking
Riggers normally set at 45 and 63 down

I troll at 2.5 -3.2 mph

I do best on spoons but have got few on flasher / fly and or meat rigs
( moonshine wonderbread and bloody nose ) have done well this year
Greens , silver blues , and black /whites , and greasy chicken all do ok as well
You can also pay cash it takes toonies

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks