Where to dock

mcsteve

So I'm pretty close to putting the new boat away for the winter. It has been a great first season with it but I've got so much stuff to do this fall I'm afraid she'll not se water again till spring.

I live up in the KW area and have spent my on water time split pretty much 50/50 between lake Ontario and Erie. The hassle has been towing a 20 footer and getting it out on the water every time I want to get out. And of course it is always nice to have someone help you get her into the water, which I have found harder than one would think.

So my question to all is "where is a decent place to rent a slip for the season?". I've launched at Dover and really like the marina there but enjoyed some good fishing off of Burwell. As I said, she is 20 ft so I don't need a large slip so I'm also hoping to find a fairly inexpensive, but secure, location.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Port Bruce North Erie Marina cant go wrong Greg and Sam are awesome prices between 650 and 1100 great people to deal with. They alwys have minnows and the fishing out of there is awesome.
8D
take care Craiger

"ERIE" FEELING
Craiger

I went through the same thing with my boat, 22 foot Hewescraft. I decided to go with Rush Creek Marina in Port Bruce. The other one is with Greg and Sam, but they are always so busy I wanted to stay away from the congestion at the marina. The only negative that I have is that the water level dropped so much it was difficult at times but Brian purchased a device so he can dredge the shallow part next year. I will be back.

Good luck with your search.

Big Otter Marina and Campground Port Burwell.Mike and staff are excellent have fuel ice pump out and showers. Great park clean, quiet and secure.Been there for two seasons now and will be back for a third. Also execellent beaches,good eats at the legion (cheap beers).Also burwell is close to bruce and stanley.

Not having first hand experience with many of the area marinas is why I posted and I want to thank all for their replies.

I had read with interest a thread where Rush Marina was discussing the problem of low water levels. Appears as though many factors worked against them this year effecting the levels. That concerns me as I don't want to get stuck at the dock. I did launch at North Erie a few times and Greg and the crew are great but it is really busy there. How secure is the dockage there?

Maybe I should just take a drive down this weekend and drive along the shore from Dover checking out each marina. Might be a good excuse to get the boat in the water one more time :)

Steve

Hey mcsteve...................if you were thinking of renting a slip then you would not have to worry about how busy the ramp is , I get a season ramp pass at North Erie Marina and use it to it fullest and think Greg , Sam and Kyle do a great job of tring to keep things flowing as quickly as possible !

Hey Hewescraft................not to stir the pot up for Brian but I think he might want to check with catfish creek before he just start to dredge , I know you need there pemission for other things regarding whats done around the creek.......................apps

apps ..we have questioned the C.C.C.A on this matter, but will keep you informed if you like, I would also invite anyone to contact them as well or ask the township of Malhide for a copy of the new sedemant report and see there plan ,it is long report but in the end they don t no the solution nether so they take the stand of do more studies and do nothing .Funding is the main problem , so if private public people want to protect there property from erioson and ice why not? ever other marina here has been allowed to, they can for a sub,so....its more the time of year that you need to do it is a main factor, with any luck we will not have a repet next year of weather condition and construction.For the most part alot of people don t understand what red and green channel markers are for but they past the boaters test?? lol

At this rate no one will get out here any were if this continues

One intresting thing from the report I found was some how all other reports and data was some how lost from other years that was very costly done ??????

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS OUR FIRST FULL SEASON , AND IT TOOK 3 YEARS OF PAPER WORK and have the largest place here with the largest river frontage and is being built from scratch not just taken over as a turn key opperation

MCSTEVE .. we also have 4 others here from Kw area here and no matter what they will be back .. we all help each other out here in time of need we all have those days sometime ,as for low water everywere along here in lake ERIE is in the same "BOAT" this year .drop bye on your drive good luck

Mcsteve north erie is very secure never felt that someone would steal anything from us. That could just be a positive statement for the Port Bruce area but we had no problems.
I will recommend though if you go there pay for the more expensive slip. We had the cheaper one and ended up under some real dirty trees. Our boat was filthy the entire season. The gang down there are great to deal with though. It was nice to walk past the congestion and go right to your boat.
Be aware though that getting gas on weekends is real tough due to the ramp traffic.To remedy that Greg would fill out boat for us during the week so you can see how the customer service is great.

It all really depends upon your needs and wants. If you want to fish for Bass, Pike then the inner bay is where you want to be therefore Dover is a good choice. The walleye/rainbow have not been so abundant on the Dover side of Long point but I hear there was a few caught this year. If you want to fish for mostly walleye then it is either Port Bruce Or Port Burwell is your best choice as these waters will hold walleye/rainbow over the season. Perch are on both sides of the point so there is no issues there. Once you have decided on the type of fish your after then it comes down to convinience, service, and what amenities you want/need. Washroom, fish cleaning station, local food/restraunts etc. If it just you and there is no family involved then outhouse and bushes maybe OK. If you have significant other/kids... then the bush/outhouse may not go over so well. After that it comes down to availability of dockage. Start now for next year because alot of choice ports could be already filled with repeat business.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. The wife has taken a liking to the boat and she really enjoys the beaches we have anchored at west of the point. We are going out Saturday morning to check out the various areas.

Consider Port Stanley too. Great fishing & beaches as well as other elements that the Mrs. might want to enjoy (shopping,restaurants) giving you extra time to fish. It is further from K-W but due to the proximity to 401 takes about the same amount of driving time as Bruce & Burwell.
It's a great place...but I like all of your options!
Bill

I want to live forever...so far so good

The best thing about living around the great lakes is that they are sooooo big. From where I live to almost anywhere along lake Erie is only an hour and a half. Port Stanley is definitely worth a look. Beaches and fishing - life can't get much better.

McSteve...

We'd be happy to show you around if you come down to North Erie Marina. We are a very SAFE and SECURE marina there are always eyes watching around here and we have never had any issues. We do offer a fueling service, free of charge, where Greg will fuel your boat during the week so it is ready to go for you on the weekend for your enjoyment. Included in your docking fee is unlimited use of the launch ramp, our rec hall facilities that have full kitchen, bathrooms with showers and banquet seating for our many breakfasts and pot luck dinners. Water levels has been an issue this year, but we are lucky being the closest marina to the lake we have not had any problems. We have lots of large boats that don't have concerns. We also spend a great deal having the creek professionally dredged every year which helps. If your in the area please stop in :) remember we always fill up quick so don't wait till the spring, you'll be disappointed

Greg & Sam @
North Erie Marina

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks