What's your gameplan for summer Smallies here in Big Bad Erie.

@WhatsthePoint I'm surprised you never fished or even knew about the Tecumseh Reef. I used to go down to Port Colbourne for Canal Days. On the way down I would make sure to hit the reef to drag lines for some fresh smallies for dinner.

Yes I did once and we had one hell of a time getting the boat back on the trailer. There is so much water and too little time. I know it's popular and couldn't recall the name but we have always had good luck here closer to port. That is a long way from my slip.

Maybe I can introduce you to the reef when we go out.

Hope you don't mind a couple questions.

When you say 'jerkbait', do you mean stuff like husky-jerks and Xraps? Are you getting them down to bottom? I always used diving cranks and try to get them to bounce rock.

And, what would I be looking for around Dover? As I mentioned earlier, the blue charts don't show any obvious shoals. A few points look promising but it's not like looking at a map of Nanticoke area for example.

When you say 'jerkbait', do you mean stuff like husky-jerks and Xraps? Are you getting them down to bottom? I always used diving cranks and try to get them to bounce rock.

And, what would I be looking for around Dover? As I mentioned earlier, the blue charts don't show any obvious shoals. A few points look promising but it's not like looking at a map of Nanticoke area for example.
Fish it over their heads

Yes there are lots of good ones out there x raps and husky jerks are two of the best . The new shadow rap is hands down the nest jerk bait I have ever thrown . They only sink 3 to 4 feet but doesn't matter . There are deeper diving models of each I believe but bigger the lip will hurt the presentation IMO. Kevin van Damme has a model too that is killer . As for dover the north Shore between there and TP has a few nice sunken rocks piers etc to practice .

Talking about Blue zones, the best details for blue zones on Erie is the Garmin chip that comes with a Garmin. Much better than the no name that came with my Huminbird.

Tossing a Jerk Bait is what work you put into it. Play with the jerk, jerk pause, wait, then jerk a few or as many times as you want. You will find what they want. I was told long ago that are 3 things you need to catch fish. Location, population and presentation.

[QUOTE="Play with the jerk, jerk pause, wait, then jerk a few or as many times as you want. You will find what they want. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're 14 again John. :ROFLMAO:

Yes there are lots of good ones out there x raps and husky jerks are two of the best . The new shadow rap is hands down the nest jerk bait I have ever thrown . They only sink 3 to 4 feet but doesn't matter . There are deeper diving models of each I believe but bigger the lip will hurt the presentation IMO. Kevin van Damme has a model too that is killer . As for dover the north Shore between there and TP has a few nice sunken rocks piers etc to practice .
My two favourites are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One costs about 7 bucks, the other is pushing 30. I won't tell you exactly what they are, but the first is great for rogue smallies and the other one catches big, some might even say mega, bass...
The problem with both is that pike like them every bit as much as bass do. Feeding a 7 dollar bait to a toothy critter is a little more palatable than watching 30 dollars swim the other way. I didn't care too much when I only fished the cheap one, but Knot2Kinky leader material has become my friend. The 6lb single strand is nearly invisible in the water and lasts forever.

I find Tecumseh reef can be hit or miss. Excellent structure but locating them can sometimes be difficult. I do the traditional... drop shot, jerkbait, tube and crankbait. A white spinnerbait can work great when they are on top of the smaller reefs and active. Launching from Austin's in a south wind is not fun...

There isn't a significant enough population to do so. I hear of the odd incidental catch around, but there is just too much no mans land in between ideal structure to really hold numbers. You can start to get into them at Erieau in the channel further west of Glasgow.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks