What's your gameplan for summer Smallies here in Big Bad Erie.

Bassassin

Talk here at this time of year here on 6-8 is generally around trolling for Eyes and Bows. Not everyone is set up for longlining as well there are many that don't have boats large enough to get to the waters out in the Elbow or even 5 miles offshore east or west of Long Point. So I thought we might talk about Bass hunting for the millions of great Small Mouth Bass here. People come from hundreds or more miles just to fish for our world famous local Bass that we sometimes take for granted.

I always start by trolling Crank baits and stick baits in around 20 feet of water in early July along a rocky point or shoal drop offs here in Nanticoke area then work shallower or deeper to where the Bass might be that day. There are plenty of deep water points to choose from. My favorite is the shoreline from Peacock Point to Featherstone point. The best is a secret point that I just happen to live on. A hint, it is between Peacock and Featherstone and is the same name as the Marina on Nanticoke creek. They make vacuum cleaners with the same name.

I will have one crank bouncing the rocky bottom like a blue and chrome Rattlin Spot. Have another crank working above the bottom maybe 15' deep and one around 10' with a floating Rappala Black and Silver imitating a Smelt just below the surface. Once we find them stop and drift or use the electric when it's working (hood ornament I call mine) with one guy casting a crank bait of any type getting down the level we hit them. My go to is a Crawfish Rebel with blue on it. Blue is the colour of the top of soft-shell crabs here. The second guy at the back of the boat tosses a Tube Jig maybe tipped with a worm. Or a live Leech on a Lindy rig or jig, sometimes just a hook and weight to get to the bottom. When a pattern works go with it whether casting or jigging. A medium action spinning outfit or baitcasters with a soft tip and stiff backbone for the big Mamas. Be prepared for the odd snag, structure is where the Bass are and that's where you have to have your bait. I cringe when someone says "it's too rocky and I loose to many lures". Then stay home you can't loose any lures there. My wife loves putting on her mask and finns and going after my snagged bait.

You can easily do this from a small tinny and a 9.9 and without spending thousands on riggers, planner boards, leadcore, downrigger rods, temperature probes, 10" combo screens and a bunch of other stuff that isn't cheap. Oh and not spend a few hundred $$'s on fuel running out 10 miles and back.

Have fun and be safe.

I forgot to mention spinner baits. All my 5pound plus females have come from hitting a spinner bait. I like a perch colour or pattern spinner bait. That's all I have for now without getting into chapter 2.

Last edited:
WTP.....GREAT POST and agree...everyone talks about the "elbow" I LOVE fishing for the Smallies and very rarely do I see great posts like yours about where they run too after the inner bay heats up.
PM me, I would love to pick you brain a bit more. Not looking for specific spots or co-ordinates....maybe we can get out together sometime. I live in London so a bit of a haul to TP but well worth the trip if we get into a school of bronzebacks.

you are getting me worked up.
I haven't fished down your way, having always fished the inner bay and now that I live in Port Dover the north shore west from Port Dover.
I always thought the rocks/structure down your way looked good.
Next time out I will have to head east!
You seem to fish a little deeper.
I like the thoughts re colours you use.
I have never had to try anything other than a deep diver floating shad rap , silver # 5 size (blue silver was the go to colour two years ago)and a phenix 5" leetch, black/oil.
I would love to trade smallie experiences in shallow water. Sometimes I think I should beach the boat and wade out.
Have some shallow water tips to try tomorrow and will report.

Do you fish Tecumseh Reef????

I have heard of it but don't know exactly where it is.

WTP.....GREAT POST and agree...everyone talks about the "elbow" I LOVE fishing for the Smallies and very rarely do I see great posts like yours about where they run too after the inner bay heats up.
PM me, I would love to pick you brain a bit more. Not looking for specific spots or co-ordinates....maybe we can get out together sometime. I live in London so a bit of a haul to TP but well worth the trip if we get into a school of bronzebacks.

If TP is Turkey Point we are a few hours east of there in Nanticoke area. East of Selkirk Prov. Park actually. You never know we maybe able to get out together this year. Bass is good here well into November if there isn't a Hurricaine.Sure send me a PM if you have any questions that I may be able to answer.

you are getting me worked up.
I haven't fished down your way, having always fished the inner bay and now that I live in Port Dover the north shore west from Port Dover.
I always thought the rocks/structure down your way looked good.
Next time out I will have to head east!
You seem to fish a little deeper.
I like the thoughts re colours you use.
I have never had to try anything other than a deep diver floating shad rap , silver # 5 size (blue silver was the go to colour two years ago)and a phenix 5" leetch, black/oil.
I would love to trade smallie experiences in shallow water. Sometimes I think I should beach the boat and wade out.
Have some shallow water tips to try tomorrow and will report.

I have gone through a few pairs of chest waders here before I bought the boat. A 30 or more a day fish catch is not out of reach here not 50 feet from shore. The water MUST be Gin clear. If you can't see where you are putting your foot a broken leg can easily be done as there are so many rocks to jamb a foot in. If you do wade out try a #2 or #3 Black Fury on an Ultra Lite or a Pinns Minnow (hard to find here). What a blast. Also @angler you have plenty of structure east of the Lynn where you live west is basically all sandy bottom. Troll that area and you are bound to find the Bass. In front of Davids restaurant we have caught Smallies looking for perch.

Last edited:
Johnny D follow road along lake toward port Maitland----you'll come across a place called
austin trailer park.

if you launch there and it can be a PITA head sorta southwest not that far off shore

Johnny D follow road along lake toward port Maitland----you'll come across a place called
austin trailer park.

if you launch there and it can be a PITA head sorta southwest not that far off shore

I know Austins, had a few pals there over the years. I really don't like that ramp especially trying to get the boat on the trailer in any kind of South wind. Yes that's where Tecumseh Reef is now that I think of it. Great area for Bass too. Fished there once and took a Herculean effort and some cuts, banged knees and big bruises to get the boat on the trailer, never again. It is ridiculous having no proper ramps between Maitland and Nanticoke.

Great post Whatsthepoint, thanks. Sounds like they are close enough to shore for a kayak attack! I usually fish from my 'yak around the Normandale area and it's usually pretty good but it's always nice to try a new area. I love catching the big cats out of Nanticoke Creek too! TC

I know Austins, had a few pals there over the years. I really don't like that ramp especially trying to get the boat on the trailer in any kind of South wind. Yes that's where Tecumseh Reef is now that I think of it. Great area for Bass too. Fished there once and took a Herculean effort and some cuts, banged knees and big bruises to get the boat on the trailer, never again. It is ridiculous having no proper ramps between Maitland and Nanticoke.
like I said the ramp is royal PITA----watched a few guys trying to get their boats on the trailer

Great post Whatsthepoint, thanks. Sounds like they are close enough to shore for a kayak attack! I usually fish from my 'yak around the Normandale area and it's usually pretty good but it's always nice to try a new area. I love catching the big cats out of Nanticoke Creek too! TC
I've heard that whole shoreline from maitland west is pretty good for bass if you fish the dropoff----trouble is not much in the way of acess

You are more than welcome to come to my place and launch from the beach. I should say former beach the water levels are so high the water is up over the rocks. A few years ago we play horseshoes there now underwater 100%. The vehicle will be safe parked here too. PM me for address.

There's lotsa great areas all along the North shore and if you have blue charts, you can usually pick them out just by the points and shoals surrounded by deeper water. I live in Dover and heard of some good smallie fishing here too but the charts don't show any obvious spots. I'll have to explore.

You can get to Tecumseh reef from Port Maitland as well but it's about 5 miles I think. But if you have a bigger boat, you might not want to launch at Austin's (as mentioned, it's a pretty sad launch).

Port Maitland has a lot of rock shoals east and west of the river mouth. Around Mohawk Island being the most well known. I had a fishing buddy who showed me a lot of the place, but we were both Walleye guys so once the bass went deeper we just trolled for eyes on the lake or River. Oh, and the nice thing about Maitland is if the lake kicks up you can duck in the river and fish for Walleye.

Early in the season I will stay a bit shallower and work the reefs paying attention to the winds to work the best sides. Shad Raps, Live Target Perch and minnow baits are go-to lures. When the weed patches come up throwing a rattle-bait right in the middle of a clump of weeks can be fun. East and West of Dover is where most of my time is spent. When things are slower in action tubes and an occasional worm harness can work as well.

Jerkbaits, jerkbaits, jerkbaits. If that doesn't work, dropshot and drag tubes until your face falls off.
Shhhhhhhhhh. .....don't give away all the secrets. ..yes jerk baits will be the best bait in alot of days . The smallies don't just tap or hit a jerk bait ....they flat out smash it..find rock and bait and you will find the bass . Not all the bass go deep
.there will residents all season

You are more than welcome to come to my place and launch from the beach. I should say former beach the water levels are so high the water is up over the rocks. A few years ago we play horseshoes there now underwater 100%. The vehicle will be safe parked here too. PM me for address.

Thanks, I hope to be able to take you up on the offer. Wind is always the issue issue with a kayak though. I'm a big weather watcher. TC

Any off shore breeze is usually good here. But I hear you, the wind turbines are good for something at least. You are welcome anytime fellow 6-8er.

@WhatsthePoint I'm surprised you never fished or even knew about the Tecumseh Reef. I used to go down to Port Colbourne for Canal Days. On the way down I would make sure to hit the reef to drag lines for some fresh smallies for dinner.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks