What length mono leader lead core

portd

Purchased a lead core set up pre spooled 7 colours came with a 50 ft mono leader , what lengths of leaders are guys using

I tie on around 8 feet but had it down as short as 3 feet due to line breaking and too lazy to tie a new line on
Still got fish

If it's tied together and not swivel connected, who cares?

It will wind in through the eyes without issue. as the end frays or gets damaged, shorten it.

If it's tied together and not swivel connected, who cares?

It will wind in through the eyes without issue. as the end frays or gets damaged, shorten it.
@hvyhaul it's only my 4 th year doing the trolling thing in my short experience I came to a conclusion that running more than 8 to 10 feet of line takes away the action of the lure that the leadcore gives it also not wasting so much leader line
What do you think ? Is that something that holds true or it's just something that I have confidence in
I love to hear some input on this " no sarcasm intended " love to learn new things and try

I use 25 ft Fluorocarbon with a Willis knot to connect them. Fishing store guy recommend 15-20 ft lead. Lead core catches a lot of fish for me on Lake Ontario. July 1 2018, we were out for only 4 hours. 6 on lead core, 1 on downrigger.
Ticker, I don't think the length of leader line would take away the action of the lead core at all. The lead core snakes in the water rising and lowering, speeding up and slowing down. I use the longer length Fluorocarbon because I don't want to spook the fish with the lead core line. The first colour on mine is red. I always try to troll in a S patern and would turn large radius to give all rods more action. The inside rods would slow and fall. The outside rods would speed up and rise. Sometime when I am bored I would take the lead core rod and pump the rod to speed up and slow down the lure. I lower the tip to the water and pump it back pass my head. I would pump it 8-10 times. Once I had a fish hit when I placed it back in the rod holder.

I don't use lead core anymore but when I did I always started with 12 ft. of 20 lb. Seaguar Invizx fluorocarbon leader. When it got frayed near the swivel would keep cutting back until about 6 ft. then retie with a new 12 ft. leader. For knots to lead core I used only the Willis knot ("A/K/A the lead core knot") nothing else. It's the easiest to tie, thinnest and strongest knot in my opinion and has never failed me once. Hope you have a strong winding arm for all that lead core. ?

@Ticker mono length behind the ball varies by personal choice and from the reports here, any length catches fish.

I believe it's speed, turns, popping the release, current that changes the lure's action.

Personally I've had 50 foot leaders, 25 foot leaders, and shorter on lead core, and all caught fish. Haven't tested this year yet. LOL

I was told, start longer than you need/want, shorten as required, and replace when necessary.

Far from an expert, I enjoy myself on the water, (for the most part LOL) and certainly don't have an exact science on my leaders.

Even my dipsy leaders vary in length, if one is longer than the rod I have an extendable handle net and the guy with the net is always in front of the person with the rod. Never an issue.

Last edited:
I’ve had 50 foot mono leaders and 5 foot mono leaders on my leadcore. Can’t say I’ve noticed that one catches more or less fish then the other. The only benefit to the longer end vs shorter is if you have a tangle or need to retie you have extra line to play with while out on the water. But then again if you have 7 colours out and a 50 foot leader that’s gonna be reeling in 260 feet of line instead of 215 feet every time with a 5 foot leader. So each length has pros and cons

Personally I use 20’-25’ 17lb Seagar Flouro. By the end of the season some are down to 10’. It’s nice to start a little longer in the event you get a frayed section (which is inevitable). Much easier to snip 3’ off and re-tie than try to find more leader material and throw a new section on in the middle of the lake IMO. I have never noticed adverse effects of a short or long leader length to be honest.

For eyes I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe chasing shallow water Salmonids in ultra clear water a long leader would help but if your fishing Erie keep it short and simple.

Josh

I use 10-15'. Get better action at the lure with shorter leads. Leadcore has its own action that works really well. Longer leads loses that leadcore action at the lure.

Confidence is the best length and lure...

I run ALOT of core and have been running it for a long time... Each rod starts the season with 50' of 20lb fluro...

The last thing you want is sharp movement on your presentation... Even a darting baitfish is smooth... ;)

whats the main reason more seem to use floro over mono for leaders for walleye?

Well looking at all the replies I think it's what you got confidence in works the best
I will extend my leaders to 12 feet or so based on comments that its easier to trim it back vs re tie in the boat
Thanks for all the replies

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks