Off Topic What’s with the wind??

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Been waiting weeks to get back out there.. unfortunately I had to work last weekend
So was looking forward to some fishing this weekend... but the wind does not look good!
pretty disappointed..

I've been saying that for years, it seems it's always windy now. Years ago when my brother had a little 14ft tinny w/a 20 HP we never even thought about the wind, we just went to the lake and headed back to marina in early afternoon when the wind would usually pick up. Now I have an 18 ft with a 115 and the wind is my first consideration whether I go out or not

Why does it always have to be windy on my weekend off lol
And why has the wind been dead calm during the ramp closures and now that they open back up it’s windy as can be

There's still time for the forecast to change 🤞

A moderate offshore wind in the central basin should still be fishable if you stay close to shore. Might be perch or walleye around.

Hey @Derkd9 you could go wrestle with some catfish..done that when the lakes rough...and i second casting out an X large raw shrimp near the wood piles..
The bigger ones in the teens towed me in the canoe..you could use your boat..
I don't know any fishermen that would turn down big fights with catfish..

nows the season..plenty are kept for the table..white flakey meat

I take it you wanna fish LPB again..

this one caught June 07 as well...glasgow

fought very good off 40 fow

June 17 2020 Pt. Peele spring walleyes 009.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @Derkd9 you could go wrestle with some catfish..done that when the lakes rough...and i second casting out an X large raw shrimp near the wood piles..

I was hoping to fish Lake Ontario for salmon, or bluff bar
My friend was also suggesting we thro his little tin boat in the creek and fish for catfish
We did that last year around this time was a lot of fun

well happy to read your chasing salmon..yes you need a couple big screamers and really get you started..me too..
hope to try Huron first week of June..I got plenty of the right spoons..the fish & marine weather must cooperate..

I don’t have all the stuff I need but will be getting the gear I need eventually just working with what I have for now, since I’ve only tried for them once. think a lot of the spoons in my grandpas old tackle box was what he used for salmon.
I am excited to get one tho I have never caught or even hooked a salmon before.

I am a kite surfer, sailer and a fisherman among other things, but primarily I spend my time doing 1 of these 3 things. I can tell you for certain that its just as windy or not as windy as its always been, I just finished 2 weeks of fishing every day, and 2 of those days I also kite surfed! But May is typically a better month for kite surfing then it is for fishing... so I was lucky and unlucky at the same time...lol

Yeah, it has certainly been windy for sure. But I think that might be a bit of age thing too. I remember fishing Erie back over 35 years ago in my 15 ft Starcraft in waves that would scare the crap out me now in my 20 ft Crestliner.

Yeah, it has certainly been windy for sure. But I think that might be a bit of age thing too. I remember fishing Erie back over 35 years ago in my 15 ft Starcraft in waves that would scare the crap out me now in my 20 ft Crestliner.
I’m a bit more willing to risk that when the water temperature is a little bit warmer lol

I don’t have all the stuff I need but will be getting the gear I need eventually just working with what I have for now, since I’ve only tried for them once. think a lot of the spoons in my grandpas old tackle box was what he used for salmon.
I am excited to get one tho I have never caught or even hooked a salmon before.
I started fishing for both salmon and walleye with the same gear ...and dozen spoons ....I'm now a little more experienced now ...and have a tackle addiction....but your walleye gear and lures will catch salmon.

If you have rigger s ...start with spoon and a slider.....greasy chicken, blueberry muffin, silver / blue, chartreuse/ green, and pinks and black spoons all work...If going before sunrise .. I like the glow moonshine spoons.

Run dipsy if you have them also .

If don't have above no problem ....use inline boards with ....leaders or copper lines ......or braid and clip weights ( Google pump handle fishing ) ( Russell s fishing tech) as you get more experience you can start playing with flasher/ fly or meat rigs ...as a starting point get your lines in the 40 - 70 down range in 80 - 150 for

I usually go straight out launch ..setup in 80 for troll out to 130 or 150 turn around and go back to 80 for....after first loop concentrate what ever depth you marked most fish.....then head east or west ( which ever has least # of boats)

this one caught June 07 as well...glasgow

fought very good off 40 fow

View attachment 42259
Yah a guy I work with cooked us up a few different recipes a few years ago was decent, definitely not my favourite
But my fiancé’s family wants every catfish we catch. We are not to throw them back lol

Ya Derkd I don't target them for a food source..I ate them a few times roasted from another kitchen and they were good..years ago ..for those that eat them..great! Now the fresh caught pickeral so far the 5 fish dinners have tasted good..

ya the wind can settle down to lighter anytime soon..hope to be fishing again first of next week..
a bit of a walleye chop bite in June can be good to keep the bugs off..

Ya Derkd I don't target them for a food source..I ate them a few times roasted from another kitchen and they were good..years ago ..for those that eat them..great! Now the fresh caught pickeral so far the 5 fish dinners have tasted good..

ya the wind can settle down to lighter anytime soon..hope to be fishing again first of next week..
a bit of a walleye chop bite in June can be good to keep the bugs off..
I totally agree @mick and a walleye chop is nice to have,especially when those bugs become nasty in June.Hopefully,this wind will down sometime next week & walleye’s ON!! to All!! 🚤🎣🐟👍😎

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks