Off Topic What’s required to build a boat house

mudpuppy

Anyone know who to talk to about renovations to a boat house I’ve heard norfolk county and others say because it’s on the channel it needs to be long point conservation .gives permits.any help thanks in advance

Long Point Region Conservation Authority would be a good place to start. They would likely provide input/approval for environmental/fisheries requirements (along with the MNRF). I would think that the building/planning department at Norfolk County would need to review/approval the structural details of your reno. I'd touch base with both the CA and the County.

WR

mudpuppy:
At least the price of lumber for your potential project has come down out of the stratosphere. Good luck with the approval processes.👍

Call Norfolk County's building department. They should be able to help you out. Renovations should be less of a challenge vs a nee build, but still not easy.

Hopefully no environmental impact study will be required. They are lengthy and extremely expensive.

Thanks guys I’ll check into it . It’s fir a friend wants to buy a boat house and do a bunch of work on it and add living area in case he has a couple beers and wants to spend the weekend

Thanks guys I’ll check into it . It’s fir a friend wants to buy a boat house and do a bunch of work on it and add living area in case he has a couple beers and wants to spend the weekend
That whole add a living quarters thing could muddy things up a bit if one did or previously exist on the structure. It would be sweet though, if it's do-able. I wish him the best of luck 🍀 hopefully the regulations and/or expense 💰💰 won't be prohibitive.

Money ! Lots and lots of money ! Oh ! Being limber or having gymnastic skills will help when jumping thru hoops and of course patience .... can't stress that enough. I have a friend that is going through reno Hell for the past two years just trying to get his project started ! He's looking to do the same thing ; Tear down, install new seawall, rebuild boathouse with small living quarters beside or above. Hope your buddy fairs better.

No washroom = no bedroom. There is no sewer service down there and I believe that overnight stays are prohibited. I looked into this a few years back..... it might have changed but if it's not allowed and you stay over I'm sure someone would bring it to the attention of the authorities. Maybe some sort of motor home would be the answer.

Last edited:
What happens if you just do it .I’ve always heard it’s easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission. What the worst they could do lol I think my buddy’s about screwed by the sounds of it

Asking for forgiveness could be very expensive ! There is good logic in having building permits and codes that will prevent shoddy workmanship or environmental damage but unfortunately we have to deal with those that hold that power of "go or no go". I think it would be in the best interest of the County to want to see you improve your property as they will benefit in the long run via increased taxes. As for the environment permits ? The past couple of years of high water has changed Long Point a lot more than someone having to dig around a little bit to put in a new seawall but of course Mother Nature does not play by mere mortals rules.

Asking for forgiveness in the biosphere not a good idea , hopefully you got alot of $$$$$ to get that forgiveness

Maybe a bigger boat with a cuddy for over night ?? Shitty deal. Had to jump through hoops with the grca to do a Reno to my house.... not cheap but they took my money and let me do it. Took over a year for approval and 13k. Awesome 👍.

Last edited:
Contact the local Ministry of Natural Resources. Building Departments do not have jurisdiction over the water (that is what my local CBO told me). Typically if you are not increasing the size, coverage or height you can do it, adding a room above will be more effort and hoops to jump through as you mentioned- blocking neighbouring views etc. is what they are concerned with. I had to deal with them on a repair on my boat house this past summer that redid cribbing, they were very good to deal with and I did not require a permit, I had to send a plan and pictures of what it looked like and sketches of what I wanted to do. Good luck and now is the time to get started on it to be able to work next summer. Anything you do in the water has to respect spawning seasons which is typically July 15th (I believe this was the date) until October 15th.

What happens if you just do it .I’ve always heard it’s easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission. What the worst they could do lol I think my buddy’s about screwed by the sounds of it
You can be taken to court and charged. You will be breaking the law.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks