Off Topic What’s in your boats safety kit

It's a number you apply for, (free) it identifies you, your boat, emergency contacts etc.for that oh :poop: life threatening moment.

Your radio requires it for the DSC (big red button) feature to work. 🌻

Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) are nine-digit numbers used by maritime digital selective calling (DSC), automatic identification systems (AIS) and certain other equipment to uniquely identify a ship or a coast radio station.
Thanks hvyhaul. Appreciated! I need to set that up for my new VHF- Radio.

As most of us are seasoned boaters we wouldn't dare leave the dock without our boat being ship shape and depending on it's size the tool kit or safety/first aid kit will be tailored to our needs and of course legal requirements but somehow we have to get the message out to the occasional (newbie ?) boater . At the least informative posts like this may reach them and teach them.

As most of us are seasoned boaters we wouldn't dare leave the dock without our boat being ship shape and depending on it's size the tool kit or safety/first aid kit will be tailored to our needs and of course legal requirements but somehow we have to get the message out to the occasional (newbie ?) boater . At the least informative posts like this may reach them and teach them.
In theory that’s part of the point of the “pleasure craft operator” license course, but I don’t think it works 100%. And you don’t need any license for paddlesports. Ask Toronto police what they think of paddle boards on a day with an off shore wind :unsure:

Hvyhaul, nice list! Is there any room for you on board? Just play'n buddy as one can't be too safe. Besides having multiples of pretty well everything required, I just up graded to a 4 battery system, 3 d/c house and 1x 1100 cc/cranking, all 27 series Interstate brand new this year. They get swapped out every 2 years whether they need it or not. I also have an E.P.I.R.B., kinda over kill, however, it was gifted to me. One thing the members here mentioned was a flash light. I picked up 2 LED lights from Drexler's in Colchester last rear. These are Dive Lights so 100% water proof. They have a lithium ion battery like a super sized "AA" with a receptacle on it to receive a basic phone charger via usb. It has 3 brightness levels, a rapid strobe and a "SOS" strobe as well. During a night fish last year with a buddy with his boat as well, I told him I was going to try this strobe. He said he saw it right away and it was very bright. He was 3 clicks away! The light is made by Kraken, model # NR-650 retails for $65. (650 lumens). The second one is a "DIVE RITE" CX1, 1000 lumens, same battery but this unit also comes with a insert sleeve which holds 2 AA (emergence use) but it has a higher price tag of $165!. I highly recommend the Kraken model with all the strobe features and great price. Google it and see what you think. Best light I ever had on my boat.
GPS, thanks for posting this thread as it allows us an early opportunity to review our safety gear to ensure it is all up to code and ready to go. Hope you all never have to use it.
cheers!

Here's a checklist I made for boats under 6m based on the Transport Canada book. I keep it in my safety kit box and every time I've pulled it out the inspection seems to end quite quickly. Appearing organized seems to be the key.. This list is the minimum but I have a few other items that are not required such as flares, handheld VHF, air horn etc in my kit as well just in case I hit a straw hat and have to ditch. I attached a pdf and also the excel file if you want to customize it.
Thanks G.Mech, edited your spreadsheet today for my 24' needs .

Some may not know this but for a >6m boat (19.8 t0 29') you are only required to carry 3 safety flares IF you have an operating Marine VHS radio
or a cell phone with signal. Otherwise you require 6.

Some may not know this but for a >6m boat (19.8 t0 29') you are only required to carry 3 safety flares IF you have an operating Marine VHS radio
or a cell phone with signal. Otherwise you require 6.
I just found out through @Cannonball today,that flares’s are not required for boats under 19.8. We were talking about what safety equipment was needed on our boats,which both of our boats are under 19.8. I have been buying flare’s every four years since 2007 when I had purchased my 18.4 foot boat back then. Over the year’s,did the flare requirements change somewhat? I did get checked out once or twice over the years for safety equipment on my boat,and flare’s was one safety item that they wanted to see that I had on my under 19.8 foot boat. I still feel good about having flare’s on my boat,because if by chance that I do need to use the flare’s,while I am perhaps 15 kilometres plus offshore on one of our Great Lakes, I would hopefully be noticed if I needed to use my flare’s. Be Safe to All!!

I just found out through @Cannonball today,that flares’s are not required for boats under 19.8. We were talking about what safety equipment was needed on our boats,which both of our boats are under 19.8. I have been buying flare’s every four years since 2007 when I had purchased my 18.4 foot boat back then. Over the year’s,did the flare requirements change somewhat? I did get checked out once or twice over the years for safety equipment on my boat,and flare’s was one safety item that they wanted to see that I had on my under 19.8 foot boat. I still feel good about having flare’s on my boat,because if by chance that I do need to use the flare’s,while I am perhaps 15 kilometres plus offshore on one of our Great Lakes, I would hopefully be noticed if I needed to use my flare’s. Be Safe to All!!
You either need three flares or a flashlight and that's been the rule as long as I've been boating as I recall. That said, when you're out on Lake Erie, I think flares are a super good idea

You're also allowed to carry old flares as long as they're over and above current flares. If I was in distress on the lake I would not have an issue shooting off multiple flares in the hopes of being spotted.

You're also allowed to carry old flares as long as they're over and above current flares. If I was in distress on the lake I would not have an issue shooting off multiple flares in the hopes of being spotted.
I recently confirmed this to be true with the Norfolk OPP Marine unit. If you don't need flares at all, you're okay to carry expired ones. If you need flares and carry expired ones above and beyond the ones you require that is fine too. There was an urban myth floating around that you could get fined for carrying expired flares but there doesn't seem to be any truth to it. That said, you need to keep the flares in good shape and dry or there's no point counting on them.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks