Walleye Report Port Maitland Aug16

Fish Farmer

Did the Walleye thing yesterday out of Maitland, got our limit like the rest. We stopped fishing and tried the jigging thing and Bang buddy and myself caught 3 nice keepers and 1 Sheephead on a Buckshot spoon jig tipped with a piece of worm. Caught the 3 in about an hour. What a way to catch them on a light rod. we were in 70 FOW and jigged about 10' above bottom fish came in on the depth finder and WHAM fish on!. It's kind of a waiting game, have to wait for them to come to you. Can see the colour of Buckshot in the picture.
Thanks to Stomp, my buddys are doing the Zipper thing now, it's great.
ClCNirB.jpg

IG7IzzF.jpg

irVxUpr.jpg

That's great @Fish Farmer (y)(y) . I think we should all learn from your example and try to jig for walleye. I really enjoy my annual bass charter so much because I get to feel this fish on the line and have the thrill of setting the hook. Trolling is great for covering water and icing numbers, but, in my humble opinion, jigging for them is so much more sporting and fun.

p.s. kudos to @Three Bouys for the walleye zipper technique... he's been doing it for years and has perfected the whole cleaning process for walleye and pike .

Did the Walleye thing yesterday out of Maitland, got our limit like the rest. We stopped fishing and tried the jigging thing and Bang buddy and myself caught 3 nice keepers and 1 Sheephead on a Buckshot spoon jig tipped with a piece of worm. Caught the 3 in about an hour. What a way to catch them on a light rod. we were in 70 FOW and jigged about 10' above bottom fish came in on the depth finder and WHAM fish on!. It's kind of a waiting game, have to wait for them to come to you. Can see the colour of Buckshot in the picture.
Thanks to Stomp, my buddys are doing the Zipper thing now, it's great.
ClCNirB.jpg

IG7IzzF.jpg

irVxUpr.jpg
Nicely done @Fish Farmer and also to your buddy. ? It’s almost like ice fishing for perch & pike on long point bay with a buckshot lure and waiting for the fish to come to you.I will need to try your method the next time that there is a calmer day out on lake erie & thanks for sharing.????:)

Fish farmer...I can can hook you up with some glow swimbait jigs that will kill them..
A friend of mine that makes tackle made me a 3/4 oz. Gobie looking jig that I tried with a worm added we caught a Sheephead on it, took it off, not saying it wouldn't catch a Walleye and I put the Buck Shot jig on. The Buck Shot has a glow fluorescent back. Thanks for the offer. (y)

great report and great to hear you jigged some up I'll be giving it a go as soon as these damn winds die. Thanks again Dave good to hear from you
Dave
Hi Dave nice to see your up and around, hope you can get out and give it ago, I try and get out weather permitting.

Nicely done @Fish Farmer and also to your buddy. ? It’s almost like ice fishing for perch & pike on long point bay with a buckshot lure and waiting for the fish to come to you.I will need to try your method the next time that there is a calmer day out on lake erie & thanks for sharing.????:)
I don't know what the fish see in a Buck Shot jig but they work as you say Red.
That's the jig I used in the Hamilton Harbor ice fishing to catch the Walleye, tipped with a minnow.

I hope to get back out this week, have a few buddies that's been asking me to take them out for some Walleye. :) It's been crazy out there.

Last edited:
I use 3/4 oz crippled herring by Luhr jensen
With a feather tied on the hook
Best colors are silver , silver/ blue,silver/green
I use them in the spring mostly on the east end of Erie out front Buffalo harbor for smallmouth but we get a lot of walleye as well
Going to give it a go next time out

Indeed @Fish Farmer crazy on lake erie for sure wherever you fish on it!! There are a few techniques that I am going to try to use as well,and one of them is by using a Erie Dearie,(photo),they come in different weights & colours. Put a dew worm on the long shank hook that is attached to the erie dearie.Once a school of Walleye’s are located on the fish finder,I will shut down my outboard motor and cast out the erie dearie to the fish.If the walleye’s are in 20 feet of water,I will count down my lure to 20 feet of water,and then reel in the lure slowly till a strike has been detected,and hang on and walleye’s on!! This method has been around for a long time,and it is used mostly around point pelee and off leamington,kingsville,etc. area.I have not seen anyone use it around here off port glasgow,bruce,burwell etc.,that I know of and I will try it,once lake erie becomes a bit calmer to be casting & good luck & tight lines!! ? ???:)

Attachments

• AA9E49C0-7A13-4087-A5EB-A2DA2EBD7E9E.jpeg
    AA9E49C0-7A13-4087-A5EB-A2DA2EBD7E9E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
RED back in the 80's (yes my age shows) we used to flatline with erie dearies all the time , matter of fact thats all we used, 7ft rods with 8lb mono and a lot of line out,,, we would do the zig zag pattern and every time we turned the inside rod dropped and bang fish on,,,good luck with this method,,let me no how you make out,,tight dearies..POCONO

RED back in the 80's (yes my age shows) we used to flatline with erie dearies all the time , matter of fact thats all we used, 7ft rods with 8lb mono and a lot of line out,,, we would do the zig zag pattern and every time we turned the inside rod dropped and bang fish on,,,good luck with this method,,let me no how you make out,,tight dearies..POCONO
Thanks @poconokidII for the great tip,& the zig zag pattern which I have used for numerous of other fish over the year’s,(rivermouth trout,salmon etc.,),and it is very effective when trolling & that is more of my style of fishing with my fishing rod in my hand,and actually “feeling the hit” from a fish,instead of having the fishing rod in a rod holder,and waiting/watching for the rod to bend or bounce to detect a hit.I will definitely let you know on how I made out after my next fishing trip out on lake erie,while I am using the erie dearie. ? ????

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks