Fishing Report Walleye - Piggott's Post - Friday, Sept 20th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Beautiful day to end our 2019 Summer fishing season. Albert and I decided to head out towards the LP Lighthouse and fish a favourite spot affectionately known by most old-timers as Piggott's Post. It's a marker, assume a gas well marker, in about 75 fow that was a place we'd often find our Late buddy Canvasback fishing with his boat. Anyway, if John was watching, the fishing was outstanding and we had 12 walleye in about 2 hours and all we needed was 2 down-riggers and Silver/Blue Ripplin Redfins down 55 feet. Some walleye we caught were spitting up smelt about the size of our baits therefore it was no accident.

Nice goin duck soup was goin to try out of port dover but there was about 3 foot waves so tad to much for my 17 footer

Beautiful day to end our 2019 Summer fishing season. Albert and I decided to head out towards the LP Lighthouse and fish a favourite spot affectionately known by most old-timers as Piggott's Post. It's a marker, assume a gas well marker, in about 75 fow that was a place we'd often find our Late buddy Canvasback fishing with his boat. Anyway, if John was watching, the fishing was outstanding and we had 12 walleye in about 2 hours and all we needed was 2 down-riggers and Silver/Blue Ripplin Redfins down 55 feet. Some walleye we caught were spitting up smelt about the size of our baits therefore it was no accident.
Another great fishing report and nice to read @Duck Soup that the Silver/Blue Ripplin Redfins are catching walleye’s everywhere & it has been one of my favourite lure’s this year to use as well,but mostly off one of the port’s on Lake Erie.The walleye in this photo,3E2A29F3-75F1-42CC-8B1B-28D3EA1BCAF3.jpeg almost took my whole silver/blue rrf down its throat this past summer.

Last edited:
Nice goin duck soup was goin to try out of port dover but there was about 3 foot waves so tad to much for my 17 footer
Yes Alby, the forecast was for a south breeze about 10 knots becoming light in the afternoon. All the forecasts were about the same. Since a south breeze crosses Long Point we decided to fish on the inside of Long Point where the waves were likely to be no more than a foot. They were closer to two feet crossing the Inner Bay but once we reached Pottohawk we were running in flat water all the way. We were done fishing by late morning and the breeze had subsided by than therefore the trip back was in a straight line to Turkey Point. The structure that attracts and holds walleye and trout is similar on both sides of Long Point Bay. At Piggott's Post the water depth changes from 40 to 100 feet deep in a relatively short distance. It's very similar to the Nanticoke Shoal or the Elbow area off the north shore. Saw about a half dozen boats fishing it this morning.

Guess should have launched at st wiiams how far from pottahwk to p.post if you dont mind me asking thx

Guess should have launched at st wiiams how far from pottahwk to p.post if you dont mind me asking thx
St Williams to Pottohawk is a couple of miles longer than launching at Turkey Point. Turkey Point to Pottohawk is about 5 miles but because the Inner Bay is basically a five mile round pond you are not as exposed as you are launching in Port Dover. Dover is a first class facility but the only time launching there is advantageous is if we have light winds or off shore winds when fishing the North Shore.

Another great fishing report and nice to read @Duck Soup that the Silver/Blue Ripplin Redfins are catching walleye’s everywhere & it has been one of my favourite lure’s this year to use as well,but mostly off one of the port’s on Lake Erie.The walleye in this photo,View attachment 18190 almost took my whole silver/blue rrf down its throat this past summer.
Yeah Erich, I always have RRF's with me when targeting walleye. That said I've been out days when walleye won't touch them. In 2017 the Late Canvasback and I were fishing in our own boats and had done really well catching walleye fishing together a week earlier using RRF's. We both fished the area around Piggott's Post that day and while Albert and I started with RRF's we eventually switched to small flutter spoons and caught out limit. John stuck it out with RRF's and ended up getting skunked.

Thanks Arnold and Albert for the report. What a better way to wrap p the season with a trip to the honey hole.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks