Walleye Jigging off Maitland Yesterday

Fish Farmer

Went solo yesterday off Maitland, just on a mission to jig, NOT troll for Walleye.
Man what a afternoon,got set up around 1130 am. came home with a limit of Walleye and sore arm.
Lots of boats out, drove out to the 70' plus area, my screen was lite up with fish.
Moved a few times as the fish moved, found a spot where I was marking steady.
Baited up my Buck Shots and was rewarded with a first hit Walleye, then a few Sheephead in the mix.
I jigged up 5 Walleye and about 20 something Sheephead. Ran out of worms plus a storm was moving in.
I broke down. before I got wet, stuck a Dipsy out with harness and rubber worm, wasn't out a min. BAM, my 6th. Walleye and headed for the ramp.
Couldn't believe the guys that stayed out there, that sky was black and man did it open up, just got my boat on the trailer, the rain came down BIG time.

K0QRvAJ.jpg

czaniED.jpg

Should have mentioned the current out there was pretty bad, can only get a 3/4 oz. Buck Shot.
Had trouble getting to bottom, I was jigging on a angle, so where the bait was?? I think near the bottom.
I should have taken a picture of my screen, the fish were anywhere from bottom to about 15' up.
I tried a few other baits, Johnson Minnow, Vebrado, heavy leadhead with rubber,nada.
Something about that Buck Shot, I don't know.
Next time I'll be taking more worms, had a blast even catching Sheephead, man do they fight on a light rod. (y) :D

Good job FishFarmer. I was thinking about that last Friday while we were out there trolling around with our broom handle dipsy rods. Sure would be nice to feel them fight on a lighter rod. Will try next time out.

Went solo yesterday off Maitland, just on a mission to jig, NOT troll for Walleye.
Man what a afternoon,got set up around 1130 am. came home with a limit of Walleye and sore arm.
Lots of boats out, drove out to the 70' plus area, my screen was lite up with fish.
Baited up my Buck Shots and was rewarded with a first hit Walleye, then a few Sheephead in the mix.
I jigged up 5 Walleye and about 20 something Sheephead. Ran out of worms plus a storm was moving in.
I broke down. before I got wet, stuck a Dipsy out with harness and rubber worm, wasn't out a min. BAM, my 6th. Walleye and headed for the ramp.
Couldn't believe the guys that stayed out there, that sky was black and man did it open up, just got my boat on the trailer, the rain came down BIG time.

K0QRvAJ.jpg

czaniED.jpg
Nicely done @Fish Farmer ? I do believe that I have that buckshot size and colour in my ice fishing tackle.;):) Tight lines & more jigged walleye’s on to you!!??????

K0QRvAJ.jpg

czaniED.jpg
Nice work FF ...I have not been out for at 10 days and chomping on the bit..I also want to try jigging

Try using 6lb braid and a med heavy fast tip rod next time. The fish will hate you,LOL.

Fish Farmer if you use a small snap and a long single hook (I use gold or red) and put a plastic jig, worm, minnow works great on walleye and perch.

Puts some fun back into feeling the bite and using light tackle vs. reeling in a wide mouth into the net. Great post. Going to give it a try.

Only got 1 Walleye jigging yesterday, got out late 10.30, had to resort to trolling and dragging in dead Walleye. :banghead: :D
I guess I have to get out earlier at braking light.(y):D

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks