Off Topic walleye and pickerel difference

That's dinner you are thinking about 😁
You've seen pictures of me.........and that "thing" I call "the beast" that is located between my belt and my chest........I'm ALWAYS thinking about "dinner" and breakfast, and lunch, and in between meal snacks.......and.............(that's not true, but it IS funny.) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dog Thank You GIF by MOODMAN

Some people can’t come to terms with the truth I guess.

Sure your old papi always called them pickerel. Papi was wrong.

Some people can’t come to terms with the truth I guess.

Sure your old papi always called them pickerel. Papi was wrong.
Now now. People don't like to be told they're "wrong." Papi wasn't "wrong" He was mistaken and everyone makes mistakes once in a while. ;)

Not "conspiracy".........controversy.....which is different again from "contraband" but I don't think we wanna go there....or do we?:unsure::ROFLMAO:
Well it was a pickerel on government documents in 1958, but now I’m sure they’d deny that document ever existed so who’s to believe what bahahah
It’s a controversial conspiracy

Well it was a pickerel on government documents in 1958, but now I’m sure they’d deny that document ever existed so who’s to believe what bahahah
It’s a controversial conspiracy
At least whatever the hell we call this particular fish, it ain't considered to be contraband........THAT would suck more than not knowing what to call it (other than lunch of course) ;)

Usually crack jokes when I hear the, "oh gawd" incorrect terms used on the radio, but personally don't care and don't get the "bee in the bonnet" reaction when people use them.

So what. 🌻

In all honesty, I have no idea why this discussion keeps coming up, sometimes multiple times per year. Usually in winter, but sometimes during weeks like this one, where getting out to do some fishin has been.....:unsure:..a challenge........because mother nature doesn't play by our rules.:(

As per my last, a lot of ppl, especially out west, call'em walleye not pickerel....because that's the "technical name"...The scientific name is "Sander vitreus," with a synonym of "Stizostedion vitreum" Lot easier to say WALLEYE or PICKEREL ain't it? They've also been called and been known in certain parts of this country as "yellow pike or yellow pickerel" which is where "pickerel" came from in "mis" identifying the walleye...because they damn sure ain't part of the pike family as the chain and grass pickerel ARE.....as well as the musky and northern pike.......Walleye have also been known as and called "Dore"...and in all honesty, the walleye, or what some refer to as "pickerel" is part of the perch family....let's start arguing about that now....just for something to do when we can't get out fishin.....

The reality is, whether here in Ontario, or elsewhere in this country (and I AM speaking from experience) doesn't really matter whether you call it a walleye or a pickerel, they KNOW what kind of fish you're speaking of, and it has NOTHING to do with Canadian vs Americanisms...it DOES however have everything to do with where you were brought up, and WHAT you were brought up calling this particular fish likely since you were old enough to hold a rod yourself.

Regardless of what it's been called, Walleye, pickerel, yellow pike, yellow pickerel or dore, depending on where you are, or where you're from...AND what you were brought up calling this particular fish.......everyone KNOWS, in one way or another, what fish is being spoken about and because of that, to continuously argue over it.......is a waste of time and energy because this particular fish has been called by MANY different names but EVERYONE knows what fish is being referenced no matter what it's been called.

So why are we arguing about it? Just catch it, and eat it or if you're a C&R person, catch it and throw it back.
Trevor, I lived in BC when I was a teenager and everyone out there called them Pickerel and I also lived in Alberta for a few years until I retired in 2017 and they were a 50/50 split between Pickerel and Walleye

Do not care if you call it Walleye or Pickerel, if I am with someone who calls it Walleye I call it Walleye if they call it Picks I call it Picks.. Honestly who really cares? At the end of the day pretty sure we can all agree they re delicious breaded and deep fried. Not even worth the debate just eat it up

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks