Walley recipe

gibby123

Looking for a wally recipe not frying. Anyone who has a good one i would appreciate. Wife loves the wally just doesnt like it to be fryed. Thanks

Babe Winkelman's wife had a recipe years ago on his show.
It was great.
Used to make this up at work for the guys, was great because we only had a Microwave in our lunch room.
Big glass pyrex dish cover the bottom with mayo, I used Miracle Whip, better taste, lay filets in it then cover with more Miracle Whip, then I sliced potatoes and onions as you would scalloped potatoes on top of everything, salt and pepper and a couple chucks of butter. I squeezed the potatoes and onions down in the mayo and fish, covered with saran rap and cook in the Micro.
Time is all about how much in the dish and micro size.
The mayo turned into a white sauce because of the fish jucies.
I kept checking while it was cooking , spooned sauce over like you would baste.
Was a bad thing to start at work, guys expected it every week :D :D

The best way to eat those 5-10 lb fish is to do them on the barbeque. Cut the lateral line out and remove all the brown fat. Cut the thick fillets in chunks about 2 in long. Wrap a half slice of bacon around each chunk then take a wood skewer that you soaked in water for a while and use it to hold the bacon in place.
You can fit about 4 pieces on each skewer. Throw it on the barbeque until the bacon looks cooked. It might even taste a bit better if you have a beer while you watch it cook.

I've always liked it wrapped in tinfoil with a bit of butter salt pepper and lemon. Throw it on the bbq for a few minutes.

I have simple tastes but this doesn't mask the delicate flavour.

I have a simple but tasty baked recipe... dredge the fillets in butter, the bury them in panko bread crumbs, press the crumbs into the flesh, lay them on a greased bake sheet, oven at 400 middle rack, for15 to 20 min. depends on thickness of fillets....MMMGood and Healthy :)

no kidding. agree on the panko, only variation is I use an egg dip vs butter, and add some dry dill to panko and pan fry in coconut oil, had this last nite

No oil, no butter, just salt and pepper, or whatever spice you like, sparingly.
I cut up rough white cedar planks. But you can buy them at crappy tire. Soak em for as long as you can. Usually I only have 15min until the grill is hot. Put the fillets on the cedar. Put the planks on the grill on high, lid closed. Until the planks catch fire, douse with some ale and put the lid back down. Repeat till fish is flakey. F316CAF0-1693-4F73-A115-5BCF5F969D40.jpeg

Had to add this one.....tried something new tonight to spice up the usual fish crisp. I picked up a shaker of a product called 'True Lime' last week and have used it on several meals along and also as a water flavouring. Before coating the moist fillets in Italian fish crisp I sprinkled on some of the true lime and some fresh ground pepper then buisness as usual, coat with fish crisp and pan fry in shallow oil, flipping once.
IMG_20190816_231256.jpgIMG_20190816_231321.jpg

The lime seasoning is made from pure lime ingredients and pretty powerful. After one test piece I got the lime just right, coulda used more pepper. Either way it was a fantastic twist on the old standby.....definitely gonna be a regular recipe for me!

Josh

EDIT: there's also a 'True Lemon' which I also picked up to experiment with that I'm thinking will work particularly good with shrimp..

Last edited:
Panko is our second favourite to use.
Shake fillets in flour, dredge in egg wash, then roll them in Panko. Place fillets on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle a little Olive oil on paper then place fillets on the paper. Drizzle a little Olive oil on each fillet then bake in oven at 400 and flip fillets over after approx 10 mins.
The fillets can be prepared ahead of time before cooking but add the Olive oil prior to cooking.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks