VHS virus suspected in Lake St Clair fish kill

Arawak

Reports of dead fish floating in Lake St. Clair have Michigan's Department of Natural Resources investigating a possible outbreak of viral hemorrhagic septicemia, a virus researchers describe as "very contagious."

Symptoms can include bloody patches on the fish's skin. The virus, also known as VHSV, can affect more than 30 species of fish in the Great Lakes.

CBC - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...fish-virus-in-lake-st-clair-1.4077470?cmp=rss

Lake St Clair guys reporting tons of dead fish along the south shore and on the Sydenham River.

Anyone have an update on LSC and VHS? I'm heading down for a Musky charter later this month and hope there are still some alive to catch

hey Stomp ...I hope for you too there still alive...lol

I can report we fished and caught 17 walleye off the mouth of the Thames River south shore LSC tremblay beach ...we seen single dead fish floating but not alot. Made me wonder a bit, but every spring there seems to be some dead fish floating. They were large and decomposing, no muskys...there tough...a couple of fishery guys came in after us at the launch, they were surveying different fish species and numbers for year class along the shoreline. I asked him and he talked about the strong 2015 walleye year class in both LSC and Erie. He was saying the high numbers for 2015 are indicating close to the record erie walleye 2003 year class. nothing was mentioned about any fish die off or threat..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks