Off Topic User Poll - Ad-free Channel 6-8 Experience?

Would you pay $24/year for an ad-free experience on Channel 6-8?

• yes

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • (hell) no

Votes: 58 65.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think a subscription only area where you can only Read and Post if you pay would be a good experiment.
Might keep some of the content more focused on fishing and not complaining. Some people would be more apt to post more info too.
Just an opinion though ...

@stomp Capture.JPGwell I followed the instructions to install an adblocker and now I am getting this! ARRRGH just cannot win... Can I just etransfer you some cash already?

if I did that would I not see the ads then?
No @rastam4n , you will still see ads, but just on Channel 6-8 and on your other white-listed sites. I've implemented ad-block detection above with a nag feature to encourage people to support the site by being willing to view the ads that come with the content. If everyone were to run Ad-blocking software, the funding for Channel 6-8, is not sustainable.

The odd pic of cleavage, bikini's, I can live with that. Ear wax, I have the power to skip? What's the problem, it's just a mouse click?

Selection was arbitrary, but hey, it's my web site, so I can kinda do shit like that.

Favouritism by providing free memberships to your buddies and your comment above aren’t exactly the right attitude to have on a forum that wouldn’t exist without everyone contributing. Do you not realize you’re simply the host and it’s the community that keeps it alive?

But, like you said, it’s your website. Just be aware you’re following the same path as some other forums who’ve lost a large portion of members or shut down all together....

Favouritism by providing free memberships to your buddies and your comment above aren’t exactly the right attitude to have on a forum that wouldn’t exist without everyone contributing. Do you not realize you’re simply the host and it’s the community that keeps it alive?

But, like you said, it’s your website. Just be aware you’re following the same path as some other forums who’ve lost a large portion of members or shut down all together....
Without the host you would not have a website you complain about the website that you are on
Its that simple !
?

@ch312 I think I realize what I am here and know to some small degree my path. The comment was made somewhat in jest, but if you want to take me to task for it, have at it. As an experiment, I put some members, who, in my opinion, have made significant contributions to this community over the years, in a group that sees less ads. Call it cronyism if you like.

We all understand that "social isolation" is making many people crazy
But I would advise TIPTOEING AROUND a man whose nickname is STOMP especially on HIS website :joyful:

All good points and can understand everyone’s take. Like HotPickle says - a lot of knowledge on here, and like him - I’ve learned a lot and sure appreciate the majority of posts.
Like the posts above me - I would gladly pay the $25, although the ads don’t bother me, just know I would for sure get my $25 worth out of a membership and also agree (like already said above), it must take time, effort and $ to manage.
Do understand some will have valid reasons and not wish to pay - I can respect that too, and would like to see the paid memberships voluntary, silent, and hopefully enough to acquire the goal and still maintain a forum for all to enjoy in a respectful manner, with or without the ads.
Thanks Stomp and all who post helpful info. Mush appreciated and at times entertaining too ?

We all understand that "social isolation" is making many people crazy
But I would advise TIPTOEING AROUND a man whose nickname is STOMP especially on HIS website :joyful:

LOL....I am sure stomps skin is thick enough to take a little constructive criticism without banning people for voicing their opinion. I’ve been a member of a few forums over the last 15 or so years that either shutdown or lost a large portion of the membership for similar reasons. Just don’t want to see 6-8 follow that same path.

There are more constructive and beneficial means of earning income for hosting than using these tactics. Draws for 6-8 merchandise or auctions for sponsor donated charters would draw far more $$$ than paying a pass to not see ads.

Many people aren’t bothered by ads and some are simply frugal and don’t want to spend the money to avoid ads. Instead of a one time annual fee of $25 you could likely get double or triple that from more members...

Hey @ch312, I hope my skin is thick enough ? ?. There is no tactic... yet ;) . More than once, it's been suggested by some that they be able to pay a fee not to see ads; hence the poll. As proposed, some would chose to pay a fee to see fewer ads, and the fee, in theory, would replace the lost ad income.

I think Facebook, Instagram and the like are slowly eroding the income from the ad offerings seen here. This might explain, in part, the demise of other similar forums that you mention. This site hasn't reached that point, but the trend over the past year is going the wrong way.

One has to be careful with draws as they can be seen as gambling and are tightly regulated. And the 6-8 merch... well that's been a money loser so far ? ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks