Off Topic User Poll - Ad-free Channel 6-8 Experience?

Would you pay $24/year for an ad-free experience on Channel 6-8?

• yes

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • (hell) no

Votes: 58 65.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some times I actually look at some of the adds and find interesting information and ideas. Yes, the ear wax add is irritating and makes me gag, but if it helps pay the bills, and keeps a good site going, I can look away. I would pay if the vote was that direction, but I can sort through and ignore the adds also. What ever it takes to keep this site up!!!!!!!!

Not sure what kind of search history you fellows have as I have never seen an ear wax add...lol. I however have seen a SAIL store add, and autoTRADER.ca regularly for last couple months and before that an Asian dating site. Must have stayed out of the Asian dating site long enough for it to disappear...hahaha. I say keep the adds sometimes they are more entertaining than a lot of the dribble that doesn't pertain to fishing !

Recently, it's again been suggested that I consider an optional paid membership that would give users an ad-free experience here on 6-8. So here's a poll.
I like that idea,,comes with a decal, right

I agree lobbyists are the way to go. I too am a senior but I would not miss $25, hell Trudeau just gave us all $300 to put back into the economy. I get more info on this site than the local papers, I say pay Stomp & get rid of the ads.

@rastam4n, what you describe is bigger than what had been suggested and what I had in mind. Heck, the stickers were hard enough for me to swallow. The site was, once-upon-a-time, affiliated with the Long Point Anglers' Association. Joining that group or the OFAH might be a better avenue for lobbying and activism.

Paying for an ad-free experience wasn't my idea, but with ad revenue dropping, membership fee income may be a way to help justify (to @Mrs. Stomp) the time and expense needed to keep the site running. Hence the poll. I don't think people are being cheap by voting no. If the ads don't bother them, then no problem. If most members are blocking the ads and are insistent on getting the content "for free", it's likely not a sustainable model.
Come on guys, Stomp works very hard on this site and should have NO EXPENSES..If membership is not viable then let’s contribute to our site..but I heAr membership might come with a decal....

If it was needed to keep the site going - Yes, I would pay. If I didn't pay - and got ads - so be it. I am sure even with payment - somehow my system would still figure out a way to have ads pop up from sites where they aren't supposed to. Heck - even the odd time an ad does pique my curiosity or remind me that I need something. Normally isn't a big deal to just scroll on by.
Kudos to you Stomp for the page - normally provides great information, great entertainment and the majority of members have been very helpful when it comes to having questions asked and answered.
I will go with the flow and do what needs to be done to keep this page operational.

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay Positive.
Cheers,
Balleye

My vote is no. Everything costs us money now, and I'm not interested in increasing my bills yet again. I was on a hunting forum that went to a paid membership, which is just one of the things I have lost to this. I got priced out of hockey when I was a teenager. Can't afford snow sports. There is almost nowhere you can launch a boat for free, and those prices are going up. Public land hunting requires insurance, and even groups like the UTRCA require membership. Quicker and quicker, my only option if I dont want to spend money is stare at the walls, or sit in the backyard. If you want to get in shape, not only are you paying ridiculous fees at gyms these days, but most places tell you theres certain exercises you can't do (like deadlifts and really anything that requires maximum effort/grunting) which I need to stay top of my game at work). My extra money has to go to my baby, and our home.

2 things that really turn me off of this, first is how this forum responded to covid-19. I wouldn't pay for an experience that could become a dumpster fire at any moment. Increase mods? Increased censorship. Cuss words is one thing, but where is the line? I'm told more and more in my life what I can, and cannot say. We know how polarizing politics are, just mention trump or trudeau and all the lunatics come out (would the word lunatics even be allowed?) Fishing and hunting is my chance to get away from that, and here it is infiltrating the outdoors now.

2nd is the idea that members who contribute a certain amount of content get free memberships. Seems very vague, but also what if senior members just plain don't like you, and you never get that free membership? Then we have 3 classes of members.... no membership, paid membership, and free membership. Looks like a division of classes to me, shouldnt we just be a group of people that love the hunting and fishing at long point? I 100% agree with sponsors gettin on free tho, in the event that their dollars are keeping this site going. That's what it's all about, right? Supporting them with our money in the storefronts so they can operate successfully? Especially with the economic climate we are in and about to endure, I would think supporting sponsors becomes a priority vs "I dont like the earwax ad". Or whatever your flavour happens to be (not a shot at anyone that specifically said that, just the first example that comes to mind).

Everything we use has ads. How many people here use youtube, facebook, Instagram, or some other social media where it's not only littered with ads, but you are targeted based on your computer history or usage of the site? You can bet I will never sign up for YouTube premium, and the only reason I still have facebook is because it has become such a large part of our society that many small businesses and groups are unreachable if you don't have facebook.

If you guys go that way, so be it. I'm just one guy and a relative newcomer at that. Whatever it takes to make things work. But I will be signing off at that point, which will be a huge bummer on account of how much knowledge is on this website. The things I have learned have been incredible. But if an old timer at work was passing down knowledge, then handed me a bill, I'd tell him to pound sand.

I'm sure plenty of people can poke holes in how I look at this, but that's just the way I see it, and again I'd wonder where the censorship comes into play on it (obviously the attack on Trevor M was ridiculous, I'm not defending that attitude in the slightest... just to be clear).

Maybe we could look into supporting our sponsors better, then they would see value in supporting our forum? That's just a guess tho I don't know what the return is for them advertising here.

@HotPickle , the paid membership would just limit the number of ads you have to see. If you don't pay, you still get to see the same dumpster fire as does everyone else, just with ads. As an experiment, I put a few members in a group that doesn't see as many ads. Selection was arbitrary, but hey, it's my web site, so I can kinda do shit like that.

@HotPickle , the paid membership would just limit the number of ads you have to see. If you don't pay, you still get to see the same dumpster fire as does everyone else, just with ads. As an experiment, I put a few members in a group that doesn't see as many ads. Selection was arbitrary, but hey, it's my web site, so I can kinda do shit like that.
So who's on the preferred client list? Inquiring minds want to know... :cool:?

" but hey, it's my web site so I can kinda do shit like that."
@stomp ??

Either way. I would have no problems with paying $25 a year but the ads really don't bother me in the least. I enjoy reading the posts on 6-8 and also posting my own successes and failures. Once upon a time I was the Secretary of the LPBAA and was mandated to encourage membership participation by posting. I enjoyed that role and even though I'm long retired from the Board of Directors, I still post.

U gots to do what ya gots to do. If selling ads and user fees pay the bills then thats what you got to do. Every one of these forums should not have to endure personal expense for the host. There is a difference between a hobby and job. If also you are spending too much time managing this then maybe get some volunteer help. I appreciate reading posts on here and putting in my 2 cents worth, I hate to see it go but at the same time this site now has a huge following and takes time and money to manage.

No big deal skipping past the ads...kudos to those who do advertise to make the site viable. Even supporting the advertisers makes sense. Not sure the dating site is going that well during the pandemic but the scenery looks nice. Just my thought.

This is a great site so I personally have no problem with paying a membership fee with or without ads...now since I got rid of my accountant I have nobody to answer to regarding what I spend, how much and where...freedom...sort of. ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks