Off Topic Tying Leadcore to braid

I slip a piece of 15 or 20 lb mono, about 16 in. long into my leadcore and tie a Willis not on it. Then tie a uni to Uni knot with the tag end of the mono on to my braid.

Just curious, why would you not do an uni-to-uni knot directly? Why a piece of mono?

@Beagles assuming you were not making fun of my comment, yes. I just don't get it why would you create an extra knot with a piece of line that you need to check every time you let it out...

So, you cut the amount of lead you are comfortable with, i.e. let's say 6 inches, and use that empty sheath for a uni-to-uni to the backing and put a small tiny-tiny-tiny drop of super glue on the coils and smother it in. You are welcome to read one of my previous comments, where I have a setup with either uni-uni or spro swivel.

Both have been reeling up to #25 kings, no issues.

I highly recommend going with the swivel on the leadcore-to-leader side so that each time you need to change a top shot, you don't need to re-tie the uni with the lead core sheath. Tight lines.

@Beagles assuming you were not making fun of my comment, yes. I just don't get it why would you create an extra knot with a piece of line that you need to check every time you let it out...

So, you cut the amount of lead you are comfortable with, i.e. let's say 6 inches, and use that empty sheath for a uni-to-uni to the backing and put a small tiny-tiny-tiny drop of super glue on the coils and smother it in. You are welcome to read one of my previous comments, where I have a setup with either uni-uni or spro swivel.

Both have been reeling up to #25 kings, no issues.

I highly recommend going with the swivel on the leadcore-to-leader side so that each time you need to change a top shot, you don't need to re-tie the uni with the lead core sheath. Tight lines.
No, not making fun at all! Leadcore to leader, I always use a Willis knot. It's a beauty! Using a swivel as you say, may help with using a lighter leader. I find that a lighter leader slip through the overhand knot of the Willis. At least with the seaguar Gold Label that I use. It's pretty slippery.

Well I am using Daiwa J-fluoro for top shots, which is comparable to the expensive Seaguar Gold in diameter and at least 2x cheaper but this is not the point. Using swivel pays it off for things like tangles (where top shot gets replaced first), shortening the leader length, abrasion and so on...

A couple people have already mentioned it (@rewired being one). Willis knot? Doesn’t matter what it’s called. Tie a loose overhand knot in your Leadcore (with a few inches of lead removed) Use a needle and push the braid up inside the Leadcore and move the knot into place near the end of Leadcore and tighten. Small. Strong. Time tested for me. I’ve never had one break at the knot. I have a dozen or more set ups. Even segmented set ups. It’s the only knot I’ll use. Lead to backing or lead to leader. Doesn’t matter. Same knot.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks