Off Topic Tying Leadcore to braid

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
So, I have been using the double uni, or otherwise known as uni to uni. To tie my braid backer to leadcore. I have had a few breaks, so I started testing this knot. It's not very strong, for some reason the leadcore gets cut by the braid when under tension? Or, is just breaking below where the lead stops, has anyone else experienced this?
Which knot are you using?
I have started to use the knot where you feed the line (usually mono or floro) into the leadcore and then tie and overhand knot or a figure 8 knot. Seems to work, but pita to tie as you need to fish the braid into the leadcore... not exactly an easy task. Would be impossible on the boat.
Suggestions?

I've never had a double uni fail I thought it was supposed to be quite strong. I use use 50lb braid as backer and 25lb floro as leader maybe the thicker line helps? Lots of knots on Youtube none of them easy or small.

I've had no issues with the double uni either for braid to leadcore. If it's breaking just before where the lead is pinched off (i.e. not at the connection knot) then is it really a knot issue? Maybe the leadcore is rotted and weakened.

I had some trouble with advanced lead core feeding the mono backer into the lead core sheath as well as the flouro leader. After many attempts I ended up using Albright knot. Don’t know if this is a better knot but google says it is so I went with it, hasn't slipped yet.

Rick

@Crestliner16 once I started tested it, I was using brand-new line. I could break it by grabbing each side of the knot and pulling. I'm no hulk, and the line cutting into your hands is a pretty limiting factor. Line breaks every time. This is 50lb braid tied to 18lb leadcore. I think the braid is cutting the leadcore at the top of the knot. With the other knot, I have not been able to break it using the same method.

@rastam4n interesting. I run 40-50 lb braid, 27 lb LC, and leaders normally 12-15 lb mono. So I could well have the same issue as you, but has not been a problem because the braid-LC connection is still not the 'weak link' in my system.

So, I have been using the double uni, or otherwise known as uni to uni. To tie my braid backer to leadcore. I have had a few breaks, so I started testing this knot. It's not very strong, for some reason the leadcore gets cut by the braid when under tension? Or, is just breaking below where the lead stops, has anyone else experienced this?
Which knot are you using?
I have started to use the knot where you feed the line (usually mono or floro) into the leadcore and then tie and overhand knot or a figure 8 knot. Seems to work, but pita to tie as you need to fish the braid into the leadcore... not exactly an easy task. Would be impossible on the boat.
Suggestions?

Hey @rastam4n , I have a little different setup that has been running so far without issues. First of all, not that it matters, but I am running Microlead by Tuf-line, and therefore, feeding in all that leader stuff is not possible and I don't really believe in that feeding knot. I just don't. It smells fishy 🙂 .

On the backing to the leadcore, I have either a uni-to-uni the way you had described OR an spro swivel size 6/7/8 in between, with improved double-clinch knot on both sides.

On the leadcore to the leader connection, I am using another spro swivel size 6/7/8, with improved double-clinch knot for the leadcore sheath to swivel and the Centauri knot for the leader to swivel. This is very useful as I had to change the top shot leader already 5-6 times on most of my setups (mostly due to tangles).

So far everything has been running bulletproof, and I recommend anyone to have such a setup.

Tight lines! 👍

I've tried them all and the Willis knot is the best knot hands down in my opinion. It's the same knot @rewired uses and is by far the easiest to tie, smallest and strongest knot for tying lead core to mono or braid. Mono or fluorocarbon are easy as they are stiff but braid is a little harder to push inside the sheath because it's limp. When using braid I use a long needle to slide the braid inside the lead core sheath to the snipped off lead - then push through the sheath to the outside - then pull the braid out of the eye of the needle - then slowly pull the braid back until just inside the sheath - then finish the knot. I have never had this knot ever fail on lead core using braid or mono and it feeds smoothy through rod guides and the level wind guide. 👍

Last edited:
I have been tying braid to lead with a double uni knot for years and never seen one fail (30 or 50 lb braid). Leaders are tied to lead with a willis knot.

I've tried them all and the Willis knot is the best knot hands down in my opinion. It's the same knot @rewired uses and is by far the easiest to tie, smallest and strongest knot for tying lead core to mono or braid. Mono or fluorocarbon are easy as they are stiff but braid is a little harder to push inside the sheath because it's limp. When using braid I use a long needle to slide the braid inside the lead core sheath to the snipped off lead - then push through the sheath to the outside - then pull the braid out of the eye of the needle - then slowly pull the braid back until just inside the sheath - then finish the knot. I have never had this knot ever fail on lead core using braid or mono and it feeds smoothy through guides and the level wind guide. 👍

This is all you need to know...
30lb braid and 27lb leadcore...

If you insist on using double uni... Make sure before you cinch knots to lubricate it well... ie spit...

Keep it simple... ;)

The braid was a little tougher to push inside so I used a needle and pushed it up and out. Nice tiny super strong knot
Yep that’s the knot I use now. Anyone know what it’s called?

Awesome I didn’t watch it with sound lol
But that’s the one I have been using
Thanks again my friend @Derkd9 for this video,and I am definitely looking forward to be using this Albright knot to tie the lead core line with the braided line. 🤞 Here’s hoping 🤞 that it will stop raining soon,that we may all go fishing somewhere again!! Tight lines to All!! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

I can confirm the Albright knot works well to. It’s just a bit larger then What I’m calling the overhand Japanese finger puzzle

I think many would jump on me for saying this but I had Albright knot slipping on me... Multiple times.... Even after 15-20 coils. Don't like it at all... And after trying it with 100% failure on weighted steel (including an improved version), I really dislike it by now.

Double-uni or spro is the way to go but if you are so adamant on using it, apply a drop of superglue and smother just a tiny bit of it onto the coils, then it will likely hold without slipping.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks