Off Topic Two rods

Flatfish

The rules for boat fishing ,two lines in Lake Huron ,Point Au Baril.

i support our MNR going back to one line per person in all ontario waters..I have no problem at all with that..

I’m fishing zone 14 ,but have to look @ zone 13 for answer?
Yah almost a trick question aye.
should have that spelled out in zone 14 as well!
but I assume if it doesn’t say two rods can be used in open water than you can only use 1!

Just curious on why you think that mick. My argument for having 2 lines (only for the great lakes.)
1) Great lakes rarely freeze over in the winter, so there isnt pressure from ice fishing to say lake simcoe.

2) Mother nature seems to get a little pissy and blows up which makes it impossible to fish somedays.

3) The great lakes can sustain a commercial fishery. So with mile long nets out there vs 1 extra rod. I just feel maybe lower their quota first before taking a sports anglers extra rod if population are down.

4) Lastly somedays fish just dont want to bite. Even though the fish are down there having an extra rod makes it alot more enjoyable than 1 on those tough days.

The limit is the issue--Not the number of rods---if I can reach my limit by using more rods,then I will 1.use less fuel 2.be able to leave sooner 3.be able to go into town and buy lunch or ice cream 4.home sooner for ;Honey-Do-List---5.less pollution from exhaust---when you go solo, why not use 4 rods on L.Erie and see what happens---triple header would be fun--I think on USA side, there is no rod limit yet fish limits are about the same---let's do a poll---yes to same limits is a given---further poll is as follows:::Yes to any number of rods---No-to any number of rods

I watched a fishing show from Lake Erie on the Ohio side last week and the guide stated that they can have three rods per person

Just curious on why you think that mick. My argument for having 2 lines (only for the great lakes.)
1) Great lakes rarely freeze over in the winter, so there isnt pressure from ice fishing to say lake simcoe.

2) Mother nature seems to get a little pissy and blows up which makes it impossible to fish somedays.

3) The great lakes can sustain a commercial fishery. So with mile long nets out there vs 1 extra rod. I just feel maybe lower their quota first before taking a sports anglers extra rod if population are down.

4) Lastly somedays fish just dont want to bite. Even though the fish are down there having an extra rod makes it alot more enjoyable than 1 on those tough days.
Totally agree with all points you made. Whether using 1 rod or 10 rods for that matter per person makes no difference, a limit is a limit. Once one has their limit they are done for the day so regardless of how many rods are used it has absolutely zero effect upon fish populations.

I’m fishing zone 14 ,but have to look @ zone 13 for answer?
Not really. There is a 1 rod limit in all waters unless otherwise noted in the exceptions in that zone Zone 14 no note, so 1 rod. Zone 13 comments are there as a clarification

I am happy with the two rod limit. Two per person seems manageable most days. I know if I was allowed more I would try to do it and just end up in more tangles, lost lures and frustration. Not so much in 2020 but in'18 and '19 it was a challenge to get two rods per angler out with all the interruptions from walleye.

If you fish big water solo, a single rod on some days would be brutal - especially on lake O where we can be looking at covering a couple hundred foot of water. Active fish tend to be up in the water column, and negative on the bottom. Being able to present to both is important. And not all fishing is just to reach a limit - that's why its called sport fishing. I keep very few off Ontario - they have to be the right species, right size and the right time of year. Erie - I may want to keep 3 but fish all day, releasing lots and being able to target more than one depth is definitely improving the experience. As for the limits comments, as an observation, the possession limit is not a daily quota. It is a possession limit - including what you got at home in the freezer. You can "give" some of your limit to another member of the household who has a limit (under 18, over 65 or has a license), but then it counts against their possession limit.

If you fish big water solo, a single rod on some days would be brutal - especially on lake O where we can be looking at covering a couple hundred foot of water. Active fish tend to be up in the water column, and negative on the bottom. Being able to present to both is important. And not all fishing is just to reach a limit - that's why its called sport fishing. I keep very few off Ontario - they have to be the right species, right size and the right time of year. Erie - I may want to keep 3 but fish all day, releasing lots and being able to target more than one depth is definitely improving the experience. As for the limits comments, as an observation, the possession limit is not a daily quota. It is a possession limit - including what you got at home in the freezer. You can "give" some of your limit to another member of the household who has a limit (
Question regarding gifting your catch
I always thought" under 18, over 65 or has a license), but then it counts against their possession limit." The same just recently I was told you can gift your fish to anyone " even not having a valid license and not in that age group as you described "
But they can't have more fish than the daily possession limit of the species
Now that information did not come from the officials like MNR was a fellow fisherman
So what is the law ?

Question regarding gifting your catch
I always thought" under 18, over 65 or has a license), but then it counts against their possession limit." The same just recently I was told you can gift your fish to anyone " even not having a valid license and not in that age group as you described "
But they can't have more fish than the daily possession limit of the species
Now that information did not come from the officials like MNR was a fellow fisherman
So what is the law ?
How does possession limit work if you’re purchasing it from the fish market?
Can I buy 20 fish for a big fish fry?

i support our MNR going back to one line per person in all ontario waters..I have no problem at all with that..
How does possession limit work if you’re purchasing it from the fish market?
Can I buy 20 fish for a big fish fry?

20 eyes x 24.00$/lb = me trying to be Derk9 best friend.

Just messing with ya but you made a good point.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks