Turkey yesterday, walleye today

Trevor M

We had our turkey dinner for Thanksgiving yesterday, so today, since I found 1 pack of walleye I didn't realize I still had buried at the bottom of the freezer under the perch, I took it out and we had this for supper today instead of left over turkey. 🤤🤤🤤:p:D

Attachments

• Thanksgiving Day 2020.jpg
    Thanksgiving Day 2020.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74
We had our turkey dinner for Thanksgiving yesterday, so today, since I found 1 pack of walleye I didn't realize I still had buried at the bottom of the freezer under the perch, I took it out and we had this for supper today instead of left over turkey. 🤤🤤🤤:p:D
It looks delicious @Trevor M 🐟😋👍🙂

I found a pack of pickerel as well from last year. Vacuum packed but still. Anyhow a rue based chowder popped into mind and here is the result. Trudy me when I say thus was amazing. Probably the best soup I’ve ever had and I’m a soup lover.

Attachments

• C2583556-950D-44C2-8F24-1C09ED4E6904.jpeg
    C2583556-950D-44C2-8F24-1C09ED4E6904.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 42
  • E59E536A-56B7-4F07-AB36-C4CE31AB05A2.jpeg
    E59E536A-56B7-4F07-AB36-C4CE31AB05A2.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 42
Looks fantastic, what did you use to bread the walleye?
It was ok. Certainly not my best. I was being overly lazy. (Still recuperating from yesterday's turkey dinner) I dredged it in flour first, then gave it a bath in some eggs I beat up and into which I'd put salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, sugar and dill weed, then into panko crumbs then into a frying pan with just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Was tasty, but I've done much better when I'm not being lazy

Last edited:
Vacuum packed but still.
All the fish I have in the freezer is vacuum sealed. I find that it lasts much longer and so far at least not one package has come out freezer burnt unlike before I bought the sealer 5 years ago. One of the best purchases I've made. I use it for steaks too, whether I buy the loin and cut them myself or buy a couple family packs of steaks (at least 3 per package) when they're on sale and take them out of the store packaging and put them into a vacuum sealed bag when I get home.

I found a pack of pickerel as well from last year. Vacuum packed but still. Anyhow a rue based chowder popped into mind and here is the result. Trudy me when I say thus was amazing. Probably the best soup I’ve ever had and I’m a soup lover.
Wow... that looks fantastic... Can you share the recipe???

Trudy me????

...send me a pack Trevor..I'm just across Trafalgar from you..I'll even pick it up...

Pickerel Chowder

Ingredients

1/4 lb bacon diced
3 to 4 stocks of celery chopped thin
1/2 large onion diced
1/4 cup of flour
2 potatoes diced large or 3/4 pound of baby potatoes quartered
Half a cup of white wine
2 cups of water
3 - 4 tablespoons of lobster base
2-3 cups of milk
Tablespoon of fresh thyme chopped
1.5 lbs of fish
Salt and pepper

Sauté bacon in large pot over medium heat till crispy
Then remove bacon and drain on paper towel
Remove all but tablespoon of bacon fat, leaving all the brown bits and caramelization in the pot.
Add onions and celery and sauté until translucent, add chopped thyme and cook for another 1/2 minute.

Add butter and stir until melted, then add flour and cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.

Add white wine deglaze the pot by stirring and mixing 1-2 mins scraping all the bits from the pot.

Add water and lobster base, mix well over medium heat and then add potatoes.

Cook on medium low heat with the lid on until potatoes are ready, about 10-15 minutes, check and stir periodically.

Meanwhile, pat the fish dry and salt and pepper to taste.

Once potatoes are cooked place fish on top of the mixture and cover with the lid. Cook for the fish for 4 minutes, flip the fish and cook for another 3 minutes... the fish will begin to fall apart.. its ok.

Once fish is cooked add the milk and stir to simmer stirring lightly. The fish will break up in the soup while it heats up.

Taste and season to your preference and serve, top with bacon bits.

I am doing something wrong. Am I the only one that noticed that the pickerel was buried under the perch so he didn't see it? I have failed my family as a fisherman, maybe next year. lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks