Trolling without riggers port maitland

FrankTheTank

Hey guys i was wonderi g if anyone knew spots near portmailand light house to troll with out riggers im going to be runni g my 12'tinny most of the time so i dont want to go to far from the light house in case lady erie switches fast like she does but so far i just go out and troll left and right a little dont really care what im catching just wanna fight fish eaters are a bonus i had somethi g on the weekend mid sip of coffee i got a small head shake i barley lifted my rod to set hook and the whole line went must of been a nice pike he took my lure and swivel i run 10lbs briad and dont normally use leaders there wasnt anything violent in the set must of been the teeth caught it but 3hrs and one little bite before i heading back up river to the spots any advice would helpful thanks

I would suggest Port Colburne - out past the break wall. Stay away from the shipping lane. Navionics chart viewer -- shows it well. Weather turns bad you can tuck in quickly there. Its close to 30/40 FOW. I would upgrade to 14 or 16' tinny before venturing out too far on Lady Erie. Also underwater cables in cottage country cut line like that. I don't know if they are cables in that area though. Good luck to you.

With out riggers just a rod and lures thats what weve been doing i got a couple wally divers they say upto 20' i was also thinking about putting some good size split shots on up the line a bit to try to drager down deeper

I would suggest Port Colburne - out past the break wall. Stay away from the shipping lane. Navionics chart viewer -- shows it well. Weather turns bad you can tuck in quickly there. Its close to 30/40 FOW. I would upgrade to 14 or 16' tinny before venturing out too far on Lady Erie. Also underwater cables in cottage country cut line like that. I don't know if they are cables in that area though. Good luck to you.
I have a 16' bare bones im looking to put a 25 or 30 on and build seats and dash into the12 is ok but i dont like going verry far from the mouth of the river just in case she turns eh thanks

I have a feeling theres a mix up in terminology here. Outriggers are pretty rare equipment on the great lakes, let alone on a 12' tinner 😂 What you want is planer boards to get away from the boat. Or just flatline with long leads....

Josh

If I were in a 12 ft tinner I'd be staying in the river but on calm days you can venture out. There is a lot of structure at the mouth of river . I would run deep diving cranks off boards as Josh said. I know a guy that fishes in his 14ft tin and he just covers water straight out and to the right 20 to 40 fow He catches eyes sheep cats bass and has caught the odd muskie. 🍻🎣

I use to fish out of maitland only years ago when I 1st started fishing the big water. Was fishing the river only till one day we ventured out into the lake.. As soon as we came out of the mouth we made a right and trolled up that shore line in 10-25ft range,smalliez and the 1st ever lake erie walleye came into the boat. We were hooked after that run.
After a few trips we learned a few things.. 20 & 30ft tail dancers(rainbow trout & red tiger color) and big magnum walleye divers(blue/silver & black/gold)were the ticket as we had no fancy diving aids or down riggers..hell we didn't even have trolling rods just our spinning rods and baitcasters.
Later we added 2 inline planner boards to the spread becouse a guy at fishingworld told us "if your not using board over that shallow clear water your missing out on a lot of fish" and he was right.. them planner boards alone was a game changer. Later we added couple rod holders and small hummingbird GPS fishfinder with navionics to monitor the speed and watch our track. We Cought a variety of fish all the time..
Rainbows,browns,pike,smallmouth bass whitebass and walleye. Never a limit of walleye but the eyes we did get always over 6lbs and as much as 10lbs. Smalliez often filled the cooler but we would ALWAYS have a few bigger fish(walleye or trout) to add to the meat by the end of day. Always spooled up with 20lb braid and never let the bait hit bottom as the rock there is sharp and will cut the line quickly.
Running Bomber long As and husky jerks off the planner boards put many fish in the boat for us as well. Cast it out as far as possible and give a few rods sweeps extra worth of line, put the board on and wait for it to happen.

You will just have to go when the weather is right and take chance that the weather holds up in your favor. Many times I was chased back to the safety of the river becouse I didn't know any better and went out to the lake when I should not have. Learning to watch the weather forecast is a must if your going fish the big water with a small boat.. ANY NORTH winds we would be going fishing there as we would be in close to the shore and next to no waves. Any south winds we would only go if the forecast was calling for 15km winds MAX or less. On the nicest days we could make it all the way to the reef(tecumseh)..troll the whole way there along that shore line.

When the Budweiser walleye tournament is on late June out of port colborn MANY of the anglers make the run to maitland to do there fishing and for good reason..there is fish in them waters and big1s.
Some guys will troll in front of the lighthouse(at the mouth) and some will work that shore line I mentioned all the way to the reef. I can promise if you fish that rocky shore line to west of the mouth you will bring fish topside. You don't have to go miles down the shore line to hit fish in that area but you will hit fish down that whole shore line if you do get to work it.
Try and get your hands on some maps to study the shore line and bottom as there are many humps,drops and breaks. The bottom can go from 20ft to10ft and from 10ft to 5ft in matter of seconds.

I hope this info helps you in some way.. I was in the vary same boat as you once upon a time.
You don't need riggers,dipsys,leadcore or snap weights to catch out there in that 10-20ft water. Just some deep divers and the will to try.

I use to fish out of maitland only years ago when I 1st started fishing the big water. Was fishing the river only till one day we ventured out into the lake.. As soon as we came out of the mouth we made a right and trolled up that shore line in 10-25ft range,smalliez and the 1st ever lake erie walleye came into the boat. We were hooked after that run.
After a few trips we learned a few things.. 20 & 30ft tail dancers(rainbow trout & red tiger color) and big magnum walleye divers(blue/silver & black/gold)were the ticket as we had no fancy diving aids or down riggers..hell we didn't even have trolling rods just our spinning rods and baitcasters.
Later we added 2 inline planner boards to the spread becouse a guy at fishingworld told us "if your not using board over that shallow clear water your missing out on a lot of fish" and he was right.. them planner boards alone was a game changer. Later we added couple rod holders and small hummingbird GPS fishfinder with navionics to monitor the speed and watch our track. We Cought a variety of fish all the time..
Rainbows,browns,pike,smallmouth bass whitebass and walleye. Never a limit of walleye but the eyes we did get always over 6lbs and as much as 10lbs. Smalliez often filled the cooler but we would ALWAYS have a few bigger fish(walleye or trout) to add to the meat by the end of day. Always spooled up with 20lb braid and never let the bait hit bottom as the rock there is sharp and will cut the line quickly.
Running Bomber long As and husky jerks off the planner boards put many fish in the boat for us as well. Cast it out as far as possible and give a few rods sweeps extra worth of line, put the board on and wait for it to happen.

You will just have to go when the weather is right and take chance that the weather holds up in your favor. Many times I was chased back to the safety of the river becouse I didn't know any better and went out to the lake when I should not have. Learning to watch the weather forecast is a must if your going fish the big water with a small boat.. ANY NORTH winds we would be going fishing there as we would be in close to the shore and next to no waves. Any south winds we would only go if the forecast was calling for 15km winds MAX or less. On the nicest days we could make it all the way to the reef(tecumseh)..troll the whole way there along that shore line.

When the Budweiser walleye tournament is on late June out of port colborn MANY of the anglers make the run to maitland to do there fishing and for good reason..there is fish in them waters and big1s.
Some guys will troll in front of the lighthouse(at the mouth) and some will work that shore line I mentioned all the way to the reef. I can promise if you fish that rocky shore line to west of the mouth you will bring fish topside. You don't have to go miles down the shore line to hit fish in that area but you will hit fish down that whole shore line if you do get to work it.
Try and get your hands on some maps to study the shore line and bottom as there are many humps,drops and breaks. The bottom can go from 20ft to10ft and from 10ft to 5ft in matter of seconds.

I hope this info helps you in some way.. I was in the vary same boat as you once upon a time.
You don't need riggers,dipsys,leadcore or snap weights to catch out there in that 10-20ft water. Just some deep divers and the will to try.
Great info six grand. I was fishing out there in my yak the other day but I trolled from the mouth south then went east in 35-40fow. Never marked anything after 25fow.

Grab a 10 colour leadcore. You can reach 50 foot depths on a slow troll and get a workout with every bite. :)

we made a right and trolled up that shore line in 10-25ft range
rider hog GIF

Some people are going to be very mad at you for divulging that lol.

Lol! I definitely read "with out riggers" as 'with outriggers' not 'without riggers' 😂🤣 Very different.....makes much more sense now 🤷 lol

Josh

rider hog GIF

Some people are going to be very mad at you for divulging that lol.
Lol. Oh well.. If it was secret it was just as well mine to give as nobody showed me or told how to fish that area ever.. I just went at one day it like I knew what I was doing,Cought some fish and kept going back..l learned something new about the area every trip.
Of the dozens of times I fished the area Can't say I ever had to share the area. Often times every1 would just run right on past me to deeper water.
If your just targeting fish then that's a good spot. Never know what might be lurking in the area from one day to the next.

As mentioned above, I have caught Walleye just west towards Grants pt. in close using worm harnesses and with a light snap weight 1/2 to 1 oz.

Trolling the river you'll catch Walleye just after the second bend from the lake but don't fish deep water I've caught limits of Walleye trolling a Erie harness with NO weight in 4 to 5 FOW on the east side of the river. Walleye that are feeding are in close to shore chasing minnows. At times you can't get close enough. After you make a few passes you'll find the sweet spot.(y)(y) If you see me fishing the river means the lake is to rough and I don't want to go home, theirs still hours left in the day. Any Walleye I do catch in the river I release I'm hesitant eating the fish out of the river.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks