Trolling speed????

Beercan

I was wondering how fast everyone is trolling at.I not having alot of success this year trolling for walleye. I'm thinking i might need a kicker.My inboard only gets down to about 2.8 and I'm thinking thats my problem.Any help is appreciated

I've been trolling anywhere from 2.5 - 3.5 mph and doesn't seem to make a lot of difference right now. We cranked it up to 3.5 just for fun last week and still caught fish at about the same rate. I really don't think 2.8 is too fast at all if you're pulling spoons and cranks.

Your speed is at the top end.you could invest in some trolling sacks and attach them from the bow to keep them out of the way.Some people will use a pail or pails to balance it out.You could work on your presentation also.Do not do the same thing every time you go out.Change it up a bit till it works and focus at putting your lure where the fish are swimming.

Your speed is fine. Running charters for the last 25+ years I find the optimum speed for Wally's in Erie pulling spoons and body baits is 2.7 mph. The only time I will slow down is if I run worm Harnesses, then I run 1.7 to 2.3 mph

My kicker wouldn’t run the last 2 weekends so I ran my Terrova at about 1.6-2 and cleaned up on worm harnesses

2.75 mph is my target seems to be fast enough we don’t get a lot of the bass or farm animals but walleye seem to like that speed as @scrimmy said.

Try a lower pitch prop slower trolling slower top end but way more power especially when it gets rough usually most days.

I was wondering how fast everyone is trolling at.I not having alot of success this year trolling for walleye. I'm thinking i might need a kicker.My inboard only gets down to about 2.8 and I'm thinking thats my problem.Any help is appreciated

If you want try trimming up the motor and that should fine tune your speed enough

I always troll 2.5 to 3.5, When I didnt have a GPS I always figured if I can hear the lines humming on downriggers I am going about the right speed!

If you don’t have a Fish Hawk you’re guessing....one of the best things I’ve ever bought....lots of current...you could be going 2.7 on your fisfinder but only going 1.5 at the ball....it also measures the temps which are very important.....just my opinion

I run a fishhawk too when it matters. Right now, it doesn't matter. I haven't gone below 2.8 at Burwell in 6 trips and the fish seem to be able to keep up. When they get fussy, I put the probe out to fine tune but can't really be bothered until the temperatures stabilize and the fish slow down. The speed has more to do with making your Bait run properly than the fish. Spoons don't work well at 1.5 mph and harnesses don't work good at 3.5. Lots of fish are caught at both extremes but your speed needs to suit your bait. In my mind if you troll 3mph instead of 1.5 your cover twice the acreage and present your stuff to twice as many fish so I err on the fast side.

I also run a speed and temp at the ball. Ran Fishhawks for years but were hard on 9 volts. Switched to a Depth Raider and change the 9 volt once a season

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks