Trolling motor batteries

will

I'm looking to replace my batteries for my Motor guide xI5 36 volt trolling motor .
Looking for suggestions on best brands

A friend had a Lipo RC battery start to smoke in his kids bedroom. Fortunately they were home. It'd mean new on board chargers for me, plus the battery cost. The cells of even the US manufactured lithium batteries are still made in China. Something in a boat that can be damaged by getting banged around, needs its own monitoring and cooling system and if it does catch fire, is accelerated by water, no thanks...

I’ve had two different battery chargers overcharge my sla (I’m using Agm now) and I heard buzzing and seen smoke from one charger, thank God I seen it before it. I think the bms on lifepo4 is something most ppl forget about. That bms would have stopped the batteries from over charging, thus no smoke or near fire if I had been using them instead of sla when my charger kept charging. That to me is a safety feature worth having. I think some ppl are possibly thinking of Tesla’s catching fire?

I’m still running standard lead acids as that’s what came with my new to me boat and these batteries where all replaced spring of 2023. They do the job, and I own em. That said, when they die I may replace with lithium. It’ll be a few more years down the road to perfect the technology and everything else I own has a lithium battery. From my sawzall to the multiple cell phones and devices throughout my house. Still thankfully no fires. I think you’re right in that there is pushback from a lot of people because of a few car fires in the news with electric cars. Again we have to consider that every day across Ontario there is probably at least one car that spontaneously combust at the side of the road. And they aren’t all teslas to be sure. Point being is anything can spark up when there is a tech failure. But let’s not forget how many lithium powered devices most of us already own that are operating flawlessly!

A friend had a Lipo RC battery start to smoke in his kids bedroom. Fortunately they were home. It'd mean new on board chargers for me, plus the battery cost. The cells of even the US manufactured lithium batteries are still made in China. Something in a boat that can be damaged by getting banged around, needs its own monitoring and cooling system and if it does catch fire, is accelerated by water, no thanks...
Not all cells are made in china. This guys got some great vids, I can’t remember which one he talks about the cells being made in the USA. But there are definitely some good batteries made in the USA

The LifePO4 lithium iron phosphate batteries are significantly safer than the lithium ion was but can still catch fire especially if impacted. Not so likely on a boat but definitely possible in an accident involving EVs or hitting something on the road that pierces the battery from underneath the vehicle.

This video is very interesting and it’s a made in china battery tested to show good quality and under 400$ US dollars. If you search through his vids there are some USA made ones. Will was impressed with this one. A company he said he’d buy from.

Hey Walleyeman, I'm located in London as well. I did notice an add for Dakota batteries on marketplace. This guys located in Milton, Jack Adams 905-299-7841. I can't comment good or bad about him, just noticed hid add. I haven't been able to locate anyone closer to London that sells the Dakota batteries. I've been thinking of making the change to Lithium but still undecided on the brand. Through my research I'm finding a lot that are way less expensive then the Dakota's and have the BMS board built in as well. Through my research if I'm correct the BMS board is suppose to shut the charging down if it's too cold or hot and prevent any fires ? Seeing quite a few negative reviews on customer service with Dakota, that being said not to many people voice there opinion when they're happy and not pissed off. Hope this helps.

As I understand the fire danger is associated more with NMC type lithium batteries, rather then with LiFePO4. NMC stands for Nickel Manganese Cobalt. These batteries are slightly lighter, charge quicker but may ignite when hit hard and so on.

Two yrs ago I went with alberta lithium lifepo4. 2x12 v 100ah. On a ulterra 80 lb. 196 princecraft.
biggest test was last fall Muskie fishing at mouth of thames Spot lock for 8+ hrs in a 20+ knot wind. Plus couple hrs of trolling using it for steering. Finished up at sunset with 30% charge remaining . There are certainly closer and better options for batteries now then there was then. I previously had group 31 batteries and would never last half this length. If your undecided spend the extra couple bucks and make the switch.
the liquidation place in simcoe by the closed down Tim Hortons carry a brand called eco-worthy. They claim 10 yr lifespan and 3000 cycles. More than mine have. ( not endorsing. Just providing info)

When the time comes I'm going with Costco's 27CD for my Xi3. Can't beat the 120 AH rating and have heard nothing but good things about them.

@Wave Runner I had a look at the Costco’s marine batteries this morning while I was grocery shopping there. Once my Deka batteries have “run their course,” I am also thinking of switching over to the Costco batteries,for the price,warranty,etc., looked like a good deal for the price. 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3408.jpeg
    IMG_3408.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm looking to replace my batteries for my Motor guide xI5 36 volt trolling motor .
Looking for suggestions on best brands
@will I have been using Deka batteries now for year’s. 3 batteries IMG_3422.jpeg IMG_3423.jpegfor my electric trolling motor,and the other is my starting battery,IMG_3425.jpegIMG_3428.jpegfor my 90-4 stroke Mercury outboard motor. I have had the past Deka batteries last up to 7 year’s for me,but once these Deka batteries that I have now,and they have done “running their course,” I am then thinking of trying the Costco brand batteries that I was looking at this morning,for they don’t look too bad,while I was grocery shopping there. All the best in choosing your next batteries. 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3408.jpeg
    IMG_3408.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies ,This helps ,Lithium is too expensive for me and might have to change my 3 bank charger
If it charges to 14.7 volts and floats at 13.7 volts your good to go! I have a Dual-Pro/ Real-Pro 3- Bank charger and I contacted them about the same worry about charging any Lithium Batteries and the Tech- People at Dual Pro said I should be fine. Hope this helps but I'm stickin with AGM's myself. They love the cold- Even during storage.

Hey Walleyeman, I'm located in London as well. I did notice an add for Dakota batteries on marketplace. This guys located in Milton, Jack Adams 905-299-7841. I can't comment good or bad about him, just noticed hid add. I haven't been able to locate anyone closer to London that sells the Dakota batteries. I've been thinking of making the change to Lithium but still undecided on the brand. Through my research I'm finding a lot that are way less expensive then the Dakota's and have the BMS board built in as well. Through my research if I'm correct the BMS board is suppose to shut the charging down if it's too cold or hot and prevent any fires ? Seeing quite a few negative reviews on customer service with Dakota, that being said not to many people voice there opinion when they're happy and not pissed off. Hope this helps.
Hi Bartman. Thanks again for your help in this thread but I am going to stick with purchasing AGM'S. A little more reasonable for my pocket!

I run this and have had no issues. They are self heating so can be charged at low temps down to -19C.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks