Trolling motor batterie

Retriever

Hi guys.... before I ask... I’ve read all the previous posts about options for trolling motor batteries however nothing recent and I’m looking for all the help I can get.

Currently I have a 24 volt set up, batteries are 115 ah with 180 reserve...

First question... is the above batteries generally enough for you guys trolling all day, using it as auto pilot when trolling etc?

I found I was running out of juice quicker then I wanted...and they need replacing

What r u guys running spec wise for your 24 volt set ups and the obvious question... price and location...

Thanks!!!

First get your batteries load tested, if you need to replace buy biggest group size that will fit and charge as soon as you get home. My .02

Rule #0 the motor should have digital maximizer built in
Rule #1 charge as soon as you get home or you will buy lots of lead acid batteries.
Rule #2 use AGM type batteries
Rule #3 use a smart charger powerful enough to put back the juice, my favorite:
MotoMaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger, 75/25/12/4A

Rule # 4 use trolling motors that are 24V or 36V
Rule #5 never forget rule #1

Appreciate the responses... I have a minkota on board charger, three bank that is always plugged in...I have the 24 volt minkota terrova... wondering what specs u guys have in your batteries... amp hours etc????

I just bought 2 Interstate SRM-31 Marine deep cycle batteries from North Erie Marina for $150 each for my new Motorguide Xi3 24V/70 lb. trolling motor. They have 675 CCA with 210 reserve capacity @25 amps and I use a Quest 8 amp dual bank battery charger.

I just bought 2 Interstate SRM-31 Marine deep cycle batteries from North Erie Marina for $150 each for my new Motorguide Xi3 24V/70 lb. trolling motor. They have 675 CCA with 210 reserve capacity @25 amps and I use a Quest 8 amp dual bank battery charger.

Ok perfect .... would you know the amp hours on them?

Rule #1 charge as soon as you get home or you will buy lots of lead acid batteries.

I dont like rule 2 couple years ago I went looking for a battery I wanted a big agm after reading some stuff online about how great they were. Well talked to two mechanics that told me to avoid Agm batteries they have a much higher fail rate than the regular deep cycle not to mention diffrent chargers and the extra cost.

Ok perfect .... would you know the amp hours on them?
Here are the full specs including amp hours. Also a chart showing a 100 amp battery to estimate running time.:)

Interstate SRM-31 Marine Deep Cycle
Group Size: 31DC
Cold Cranking Amps: 675
Cranking Amps: 845
Reserve Capacity Min @ 25 amps: 210
Amp Hours: 98
Length: 13 in.
Width: 6 11/16 in.
Height: 9 5/8 in.
Weight: 59.7 lbs.
Volts: 12

100 amp hour rated battery / 20 amp draw =

5 hour run time

Calculating Trolling motor run time

Last edited:
Here are the full specs including amp hours. Also a chart showing a 100 amp battery to estimate running time. These are 198 amp so not sure but I guess you can almost double those times. :)

Interstate SRM-31 Marine Deep Cycle
Group Size: 31DC
Cold Cranking Amps: 675
Cranking Amps: 845
Reserve Capacity Min @ 25 amps: 210
Amp Hours: 198
Length: 13 in.
Width: 6 11/16 in.
Height: 9 5/8 in.
Weight: 59.7 lbs.
Volts: 12

100 amp hour rated battery / 20 amp draw =
5 hour run time
Calculating Trolling motor run time

That’s exactly the info I need! Thank you so much... so for the price I don’t think I’ve found anything better then what north Erie marine has... anyone care to correct me?

I found nobody that can match a high quality battery like that for the price. I have used Interstate batteries for over 20 years in my boat with excellent results. Just to let you know @Retriever NEM doesn't stock that size but the truck comes every Thurs. and Sam will look after you. Here's NEM's email so all you need to do is ask her to take the number of batteries off the truck for you then pick them up. There's also a core charge of $16 if you don't have a battery for exchange.

northeriemarina@hotmail.com

Check out great northern battery in Hamilton. I picked up 2 100 amp hour agm’s for about $300. Sometimes you have to wait for a shipment of seconds (visual defect only) they get in 3 different sizes . I also am running minkota on-board charger. Only used them for 6 weeks but at this price point how can you go wrong.

Rick

That’s exactly the info I need! Thank you so much... so for the price I don’t think I’ve found anything better then what north Erie marine has... anyone care to correct me?
Let us know if we can help you out! You can email or message me on here or call the shop 519-765-2010. Thank you!

I buy Costco marine batteries for boat and RV. The 27DC size is rated at 120 amp-hours. Just like the 98 amp-hour Interstate battery listed above, these are not true deep cycle (they are a hybrid -- you can tell b/c they list CCA) but for the cost and the output they're hard to beat. Plus Costco's return policy is excellent. These Kirkland Signature brand batteries used to be Johnson Controls, not sure if they still are.

I have an 18 ft fiberglass with a 24v 80lb-ft trolling motor and I troll all day on it and have never had the batteries go below 60%. Used to run my tent trailer's lights and water pump off them as well with great results.

Rule# 6
Make sure you are heavy enough cable between the batteries and the motor
I switch to 4 gauge wire and made a huge difference

Rule# 6
Make sure you are heavy enough cable between the batteries and the motor
I switch to 4 gauge wire and made a huge difference
Yes I had the same problem ,factory wiring was to small of gauge put new 4 gauge made a huge difference
Also I installed a 24 volt reset able breaker between lead and trolling motor, it's a good idea if you fish heavy weeds aria for largemouth bass the extra strain on the trolling motor can heat up the system
Love the minnkota inboard smart charger system got two in my boat

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks