Off Topic Trolling for eyes after dark

Teddy69

I normally fish Burwell when I fish in the evening I’m often the last truck in the parking lot I’m just wondering if anyone has success trolling for eyes after dark ?

Last sunday when the fireworks were going on, we decided to go out further and head out fishing. I believe it was around 8:45pm, headed to 55 fow, and put 8 in the box. Fished until dark!

Last edited:
Last week we trolled back over ground covered on the way-out after 9pm - trolling while watching the fireworks. Last fish landed around 9.30 on a glow stick deep diver. 9 is fine for us. It slowed down at dark. Scent and vibration only unless you use glow baits. - How much light is really needed for a walleye to see the bait? Windy and colour selection. -- see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally fish Burwell when I fish in the evening I’m often the last truck in the parking lot I’m just wondering if anyone has success trolling for eyes after dark ?
Yes..succesful well into the darkness. Trolled well into the witching hrs around nanticoke & port maitland. Never ran any glow stuff so I can't say if preform better then a regular paint job.
You might be surprised how efficient they are at tracking and taking a bait(cranks &spoons) in darkness without any glow paint. UV finished baits work great as well. anything you run in the day can be used at night and will produce. If they can't see it they will feel it.
2-2.7mph
Always on a calm-flat night..little breeze,ok.

Have a well laid plan in place if you intend to go. Should not be taking lightly.
Couple idea's would be to
Scout the area you intend to troll for nets,flags,gas well markers and such while the sun is still up, a good hr before dark.
Troll on the track you scouted if you feel it's clear of shit that could ruin your night or someone else's. Ride in on the SAME GPS track you made comming out and HOPE nothing new is on your track on the way in,easy duz it.
Bright light/spot light.
Tell a friend the plan...a friend with a working boat would be best..even better, get buddy to roll his boat out with you.
VHF radio onboard would be ideal.
Old school compass don't need batteries or power source.

For the most part you should be/better be able to look after your own ass out there becouse you will likely be the only ass out there.
It is obviously more dangerous fishing at night from a moving boat then during the day so safety&caution should be used at all times while night fishing/trolling... 5miles of shore... in the dark... where the monsters live.

If night fishing from a boat is nothing new to you then yes, run some baits and they will(walleye&pickerel)bite well into darkness. Whitebass & rainbows will night bite too.

Note: Walleye & Pickerel Can be hard to tell apart in the dark so here's a surefire way to determine which is which.. Flash a light in there eyes and one will have eyes that reflect brightly and one will not.. which is which? 😆

Yes..succesful well into the darkness. Trolled well into the witching hrs around nanticoke & port maitland. Never ran any glow stuff so I can't say if preform better then a regular paint job.
You might be surprised how efficient they are at tracking and taking a bait(cranks &spoons) in darkness without any glow paint. UV finished baits work great as well. anything you run in the day can be used at night and will produce. If they can't see it they will feel it.
2-2.7mph

Have a well laid plan in place if you intend to go. Should not be taking lightly.
Scout the area you intend to troll for nets,flags,gas well markers and such while the sun is still up, a good hr before dark.
Troll on the track you scouted if you feel it's clear of shit that could ruin your night or someone else's. Ride in on the SAME GPS track you made comming out and HOPE nothing new is on your track on the way in,easy duz it.
Bright light/spot light.
Tell a friend the plan...a friend with a working boat would be best..even better, get buddy to roll his boat out with you.

For the most part you should be/better be able to look after your own ass out there becouse you will likely be the only ass out there.
It is obviously more dangerous fishing at night from a moving boat then during the day so safety&caution should be used at all times while night fishing/trolling... 5miles of shore... in the dark... where the monsters live.

If night fishing from a boat is nothing new to you then yes, run some baits and they will(walleye&pickerel)bite well into darkness. Whitebass & rainbows will night bite too.

Note: Walleye & Pickerel Can be hard to tell apart in the dark so here's a surefire way to determine which is which.. Flash a light in there eyes and one will have eyes that reflect brightly and one will not.. which is which? 😆
Lots of great tip’s there @SIX-GRAND 👍👍 especially the one on how you can tell apart between a walleye & a pickerel,by shining a flashlight in their eyes’s,to see which eyes reflect brightly,and the one that will not!! lol 😂 🤣 😉👍🙂

2-2.7mph

Bright light/spot light.

Ya that’s what I’m thinking I typically go out in the late afternoon evening and troll until after dark I’d definitely follow my tracks on gps from that evening and I might try a glow spoon just to see what happens and maybe just troll a while longer or even aim at port and troll into 40 or 45 FOW before pulling everything in I might try it Friday

I fished Walleye a lot at night and it's a different then daytime, Walleye tend to move up shallow at night on top of reefs or the shallow water surrounding the reef. The bite really won't get going until a few hours after it is fully dark, there is an adjustment time from dusk till full on night. The best nights are clear nights around the full moon, the new moon darker nights not nearly as productive, glow is not needed, the fish will see the profile of the bait, larger profiles are better at night. I know a few locals around the Fort Erie to Port Colbourne area that do very well fishing shallow reefs and close to the rip-rap at night, I'm sure there are others around the lake that also do well. You also need calm seas, it can be a challenge fishing at night and rougher water makes for an ugly time.

Commercial nets are hard enough to see in the daylight let alone at night.
So true! If there are nets I make sure I know where while trolling. For running back in I don't worry much about them. in this area, nets run north- south

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks