Transom saver

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anyone have any recommendations on a good transom saver for a smaller (25hp) outboard? Or any bad experiences with models to avoid? Thanks!

Josh

Not sure why you would need one for a 25 hp unless you intend to tow it tilted up. I had a 25 hp Merc on a 14 ft. Starcraft and a 30 hp Yamaha on a 14 1/2 ft. Lund that I always towed with the motor down all over the States and Canada fishing and moose hunting and never had a need for a transom saver. I do use one for my 90 Honda but it's 375 lbs. and is always towed tilted up but a 25 hp tilted down puts no stress on a transom at all.

I personally own an Attwood transom saver and don't like it.The 4 knobs will come out from wear and tear.I bought a kit with new pieces and they were hell to Screw in .Extreme max is much better design.

I have an extreme max. Tow my 60 over some rough roads up near Sudbury. No complaints would install one again.

Thanks guys....its a case of better safe than sorry! The motor only weighs about 130lbs but taking into account the way I drive and the amount of km's I put in on nasty northern backroads the $100 or so for piece of mind is well worth it. And I did manage to do some damage to a previous boat a few years back on rough roads with just a 15hp hanging on the back...

The boat is a newer Princecraft Yukon, not known as the sturdiest boats but I liked the layout and lightweight. I did read of one incident on a forum of someone damaging their transom towing on the same boat so I'm playing it safe.

And thanks again for the info on that Seapro I picked up @waverunner....that 25hp I modified pushes the new Yukon past 30mph with a full load of passengers and gear, more than enough for a rig that size :)

Josh

Last edited:
And thanks again for the info on that Seapro I picked up @waverunner....that 25hp I modified pushes the new Yukon past 30mph with a full load of passengers and gear, more than enough for a rig that size :) Josh

That's very good speed for sure Josh as the Lund I used to have at 265 lbs. dry with a 3 cylinder Yamaha 30 hp 2-stroke with 2 guys topped out at 29 mph. The StarCraft with the 25 hp Merc wasn't even close to the speed your getting so quite amazing achievement considering it's basically just a gasket change. If I see a PrinceCraft come smoking by me I'll know who it is! :LOL:

Also using the transom saver is cheap insurance to give you peace of mind. You may want to consider the one I use which is the same as this in the Cabela's link which works great and has been on for 20 years carrying a 375 lb. motor. Very simple, strong and quick, you just turn a half turn slide it in the frame bracket and turn back straight which locks it in from coming out during trailering then snap the bungee on and ready to go. :)

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/1064/cabelas-frame-mount-transom-saver

I Use the extreme max on both my boats and have been very happy with them. Really easy to use and the peace of mind on rough northern roads is worth it.

My dealership told me to NEVER use a transom saver. That surprised me. They said there is more load put on the transom when under power and bouncing along the lake than just hanging there driving down the road. They also said, it can cause problems with the hinge point by putting a load on it when you use the transom saver.

I will politely disagree. Different load points and when installed properly the results are easily observed. Grab the outboard and give it a push and watch the transom. Do the same with it installed.
Josh I sent you a PM. I have a new in box Panther Martin transom Saver.

If your handy at all, make one
My dad made one with pieces off an old weight lifting bench in 1990 and I’m still using it today. They are a very simple design

My dealership told me to NEVER use a transom saver. That surprised me. They said there is more load put on the transom when under power and bouncing along the lake than just hanging there driving down the road. They also said, it can cause problems with the hinge point by putting a load on it when you use the transom saver.

That may be true on a nice smooth road. But those are few and far between

Dealer saying no doesn't make sense. My motor is in the same position with or without transom saver. With transom save the load is not bouncing on my hydraulics and much of the jolting is sent to the trailer.

I was told I didn’t need a transom saver with my 90hp Merc. They said it was no diffrent driving down the road then across the lake. They said if you own a bigger motor like a 200hp or so it is Recommended. Know that I run a 300 merc verado I use a Panther Martin transom saver and I love it!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks