Off Topic The missus may approve of a new boat...opinions?

Nammer.C

So the missus had a bit of a scare coming home from Nanticoke last year. Weather shifted unexpectedly and we had a rough ride home in our aluminum 17.5 foot deepv. We went to Costa Rica and did a charter in a 32 foot boat in the pacific and while it wasn't a pleasant ride home, she now appreciates the perks of a bigger vessel.

So she states she may be inclined for an upgrade. Which raises the question, what's your size preferences for boats? Obviously if money and space weren't and issue, I would have a 30' center console. But realistically, I'm a multispecies fisherman and the budget allows for one boat.

What are you opinions on size/style that would suit everything from 4' bass waters to trolling erie and occasionally lake O? I'm currently pondering a 20ish' deep vee hull, typical for a multispecies boat, but I'm wondering if the upgrade would actually mean that many more fishing days? Or if it's still a bit small to play as often as some of you do. She won't be happy if we spend the money only to gain a couple more days on the water

Also, I like the smoothness of stern drive, but prefer the redundancy of an outboard. Read, bellow issues like potentially the latest sinking. Might be suicide asking for opinions on this... here goes!

Let the missus choose...
Wise. But the missus likes the catching and the ride. I'm the one that has to deal with getting to and from and finding the fish. She likes the catching the biggest/most fish and rubbing it in my face part 😂

I should have clarified. I was pretty close to my abilities to confidently head home in that weather. She was white knuckle gripping the underside of her seat

I think you pick your battles with waves. Watch forecasting closer. Aluminum is light. I have an 87 Thunder craft mag 190. With 4.3 litre I/O. Good heavy boat. Always out performed a 22 ft. Bayliner. Back in the 90's we used to go out of Burwell in some good sized waves it could handle. And good working trim tabs work well too. But now being retired we pick our days. I have also had the motor rebuilt and outdrive also. As for the bellows, if you have it maintained regular by reputable people, it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck! But it seems like a good chance to upgrade.

I just upgraded from a 21ft to a 26ft and did those 4/5 extra feet make a huge difference in comfort and cluttering from the other boat. It’s a Bayliner trophy that is a walk around. If my wife gives me a choice this summer to either smarten up or live on the boat…. She might not like my reply! 🤞

If you're towing any big aluminum from the west coast. Love my Hewescraft, Thunder jets are nice to. Big fiberglass says renting a slip so Steiger craft or Parker maybe a Bar crusher

Wow open question. There will be as many answers as there are members. My wife and I did the 2 foot at a time aluminum up to a 22.4 Crestliner which we thought was our last boat. It was still a pop can on water in rough seas. Did a little research and settled on a 24' Limestone 110" wide. Same as many local police depts use. Mid engine very seaworthy but still need to avoid heavy seas.

I'm not sure that weight is going to be the biggest impact for seaworthiness and comfort compared to other factors such as beam and overall hull design. Lumpy weather is always going to be lumpy. You may want to look at other comfort factors, especially those that may resonate with your wife, such as enclosed cabin, washroom, full canvas, which will also have a significant impact in isolating from bad weather.

Too late... he already married her. LoL ! So the Boss Lady thinks a bigger boat is a good idea ? You answer "Yes Dear" and start shopping/researching and don't forget to include her in the process as it's HER boat and you just get to use it and keep it ship shape.

Happy wife... happy life !

Too late... he already married her. LoL ! So the Boss Lady thinks a bigger boat is a good idea ? You answer "Yes Dear" and start shopping/researching and don't forget to include her in the process as it's HER boat and you just get to use it and keep it ship shape.

Happy wife... happy life !
I was going to say go buy it straight away before she changes her mind
Or talks you into a cruising boat rather than a fishing boat

I have much the same story..except it was me that came back after an 8 mile ride through 4-6' Lake Erie crap that made me look like Id been curb stomped by an LA street gang. I was lying on the couch moaning and my wife utters those words seldom heard by a man...

"maybe you should buy a bigger boat"

Ive also come up through the boat ranks on Erie and surrounding waters. 18' Starcraft SS bowrider, 18' Starcraft Super Fisherman, 18' Lund Alaskan..all aluminum. Big enough but when the big water gets big...sketchy and you get pounded. So...I found a minty 22' Trophy Pro walkaround. The ride and comfort...its day and night. Big beam, big flared bow, deep V hull made for offshore ocean. Cuts and sheds that 4-5' chop like its not there. At 22' its still trailerable and launchable by 1 person. Thats the pros to a bigger glass hull.

Drawbacks? Its bigger and heavier and while I can launch on my own, its not a quick dump like a lighter aluminum, so I tend to avoid the first light lineups. You need a decent deep water ramp. The ability to go to small inland lakes is pretty much gone..I can still fish stuff like Sturgeon, Buckhorn, etc but little stuff dosnt work. It also dosnt work well with the Detroit and St Clair river controlled drift jigging. Maintenance is a bit higher..waxing, canvas, etc.

I kept it in a slip in Erieau last year but I didnt like being tied to one port..although I could have taken it out and travelled but I felt a bit obligated to stay there as it was paid for. I hated the mess the boat suffered...Im fussy with my boat...+++++bird crap, full of spiders and their crap, and the growth on the hull and engine made year end cleanup a 2 day chore.

Bottom line is..a bigger glass boat is awesome on the great lakes and if you do the majority of your fishing there, its a great fit. If you like to move around a lot, fish smaller waters, run and gun, then a more portable aluminum is probably the way to go. I access those waters with friends, and I also use charters for stuff I can't get to.

The great lakes can and will be hell on any boat depending on size. Lake Erie can get very rough. I have owned boats from 12' tinny's up to 28' glass. My first charter boat was a glass Starcraft blueline 25', Then a 28' Carver. then a 19' Islander. Then a 2452 Bayliner, then a 24' Trophy WA and then a 23' Sylvan. Those were all charter boats and some were glass and some were Aluminum. All boats had there pro's and conn's and when the lakes get rough you could feel it in all of these boats. Just pick your days. I am now retired from Charter fishing for 4 years and since bought a 19' campion cc and I hated that boat. Sold it and bought a 18' Legend with a 90 HP 4 stroke Merc and an 8 HP Merc 4 stroke kicker and am happy with it

you might need to upgrade your vehicle if your new boat gets too big. Where are you going to store it? How much fuel does it use? Think full wrap around windshield and Smooth Move seats are a must.We pick our days and being retired we only go out when the wind is 20k or less. If we get 12 fish in the cooler it will take us a couple of months to eat them out of the freezer to keep our limits legal. It's just the two of us and unless you have auto pilot someone will have to steer all the time and that a long walk to the back of the boat to net a fish. Buddy has 25 foot islander and it seems to take a crew of three at least to handle everything, mind you it is a beautiful ride to go out in. Now you're talking trailer brakes, electric brakes setup in the cab of truck etc.... i.e. DEEP pockets. We run a 18.5 foot King Fisher Falcon with a 90 Merc with a 9.9 Pro kicker and it seems to be the right size for us. No real casting platform up front but at the back you get a dance floor! It is in a boat house for now on the inner bay but it only takes a second to haul it out to go to St Claire which we are doing in August.

Last edited:
Let the missus choose...
Really? If it was mine, it would be the one in the nicest color lol.
Seriously tho, some of the smaller centre consoles can get into skinny water (not bass boat skinny :)) and I've seen them down in florida with bow mount trolling motors. From what I've heard from the experts, 28' is the sweet spot for dealing with the Erie rollers plus most come with dual outboards for your contingency factor.

Are you considering new or used? There are a ton of these boats in the eastern US with low hours and priced much better than new so as long as it had the features you want and warranty, that would be the way i'd lean. Check out Cobia, super quality/price and they come with Yamahas.

I have an 18 foot later model Superfisherman. It’s a sizeable boat compared to the old style. I wouldn’t want to launch and load anything bigger myself on a regular basis. It’s easily doable but I generally prefer to fish it with another guy. When it really gets ugly, it handles as well as any 18 foot boat is going to handle. Big glass boats are awesome to ride in! I loved to ride in my good buddies Grady White on Lake O. We fished no matter the weather with few exceptions. But that boat never left lake O and he had a 16 footer (my old one) to travel with. Just keep it in mind. I have 2 boats also because my SS is a bit big for some small waters. But hey a man can never have too many boats.

For handling waves and rough weather I’m a big believer in the fact that width means more than length. It really does take the roll out of the boat fishing in rougher weather and greatly helps with stability. So I’d say shoot for an 8 foot or greater beam in styles that still allow you to get to the shallows like you desire.

For handling waves and rough weather I’m a big believer in the fact that width means more than length. It really does take the roll out of the boat fishing in rougher weather and greatly helps with stability. So I’d say shoot for an 8 foot or greater beam in styles that still allow you to get to the shallows like you desire.

I used that reasoning to a girlfriend once, that width is more important than length.

Once only.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks