The Big Boys have come out to play!

Beauty catch! Umm when you respond to the Spanish Inquisition could you drop your gps coordinates in as well 😂😂😂😂😂

Funny as we get older you start thinking conservation. Being a big fish most likely a female and she’s in the bay making her way to the spawning grounds. Sometimes it’s nice to release the big girls to reproduce. That being said beautiful catch. Nothing better then cold water pike. Enjoy

I see these arguments allot.” Release the big fish as they are the big spawners.” Are they though? I was once told by a long time quinte guide that by the time a fish reaches trophy size their best spawning years are behind them. It is in fact the juvenile fish that contribute most to the reproduction of the fishery. Much like humans, he said. You wouldn’t expect 80 year olds to be pumping out child after child. To each their own. If you catch a trophy and want to keep it I could care less. I’m only bringing this up to educate myself. Does anyone know for sure what is fact? Does a fish in the latter part of it’s lifecycle still contribute significantly to the renewal of the resource , or are they like me, and past their prime.,lol. Flame away.😎

I see these arguments allot.” Release the big fish as they are the big spawners.” Are they though? I was once told by a long time quinte guide that by the time a fish reaches trophy size their best spawning years are behind them. It is in fact the juvenile fish that contribute most to the reproduction of the fishery. Much like humans, he said. You wouldn’t expect 80 year olds to be pumping out child after child. To each their own. If you catch a trophy and want to keep it I could care less. I’m only bringing this up to educate myself. Does anyone know for sure what is fact? Does a fish in the latter part of it’s lifecycle still contribute significantly to the renewal of the resource , or are they like me, and past their prime.,lol. Flame away.😎
You are right, we at our club meetings we get guests in to do seminars and this issue has been brought up many times. We get fisheries biologist in and they are asked this question, the juvenile fish are the producers as big fish are like humans, old guys don’t produce 😀😀 take this from a old club member 👍👍😀

I agree not all fish do what salmon do breed at old age and die, in my opinion everytime someone keeps a big fish they get reamed out saying they are breeders but its more of a jealousy thing.

But on a side note, do you really want too eat an old gezzer. I’d sooner eat a smaller fish anyway, like I always say if you have a plater of fried Perch etc. I can almost guarantee you’ll grab the smaller piece, the tiny Perch that was the hardest to filet, you know, the ones you hide under your Jumbos in the pail👍😀😀

But on a side note, do you really want too eat an old gezzer. I’d sooner eat a smaller fish anyway, like I always say if you have a plater of fried Perch etc. I can almost guarantee you’ll grab the smaller piece, the tiny Perch that was the hardest to filet, you know, the ones you hide under your Jumbos in the pail👍😀😀
Agreed. I would only keep a fish that size for a wall hanger, but to each their own. If you want to eat one that size that’s up to you but I don’t think it’s harming the fishery if you do.

Beauty fish btw. I’ve only seen 1 bigger and that was on a far north lake many years ago.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks