Thames river

Striper01

Hello fellow fisherman I’m thinking of trying my luck in the Thames river for walleye my girlfriend’s parents live on the river near tilbury any recommendations would be appreciated

Hello fellow fisherman I’m thinking of trying my luck in the Thames river for walleye my girlfriend’s parents live on the river near tilbury any recommendations would be appreciated
Wondering myself, let me know if you out and how it ends up - i'm 40min away from Tilbury/Thames as well, but never been out that area

I would guess that lots of pickeral are as far up as Wardsville.

Definitely lots of walleye in there right now, although will likely be a little dirty after this wind but can guarantee the fish are there. All the same tactics as you use through the ice will work as well as finesse minnows, blade baits and hair jigs all work well. I use to live close to the river in the past and always started jigging walleye at the same time of year the muskie rolled in with extremely good results especially knowing the river quite well after fishing it for 25 years. Jeanette Creek government launch will still be open although the dock is likely removed by now. Focus on everything downstream of Prairie siding and dont be afraid to cast towards shore with a slow popping retrieve also ;-)

Last edited:
just to add a couple extra baits when the ice comes
1641558932387.png
we put in alot time and seasons thames river jigging...there is 2 oustanding colours and sizes (7&9 ) i used for years..the bottom right chartruese/pearl white and the top row Black n Gold ...isn't that ironic how the black n gold is one of my best ever walleye colours period..
on the size 7 I changed the treble hook 2 sizes up..
back in the day when the Thames River was closed March 15 to April 15 (middlemiss to chatham) On the opener we fished big ben conservation area just below #76 hwy bridge in the boat....the hotest bait season after season was the rapala shad rap in the chartruese/pearl white, trolling in our 12 footers ..stained clay water clarity colour was the norm

I got a couple shad style raps in perch colour worked as well

Last edited:
On December 13th, we were casting for Muskie from shore. We SLAMMED walleye on 9 inch rubber baits.. the largest was a personal best of a 35 incher! They were in there heavy at that point in time and I’m assuming it only got better. We must have seen well over 30 caaught on musky rubbers in about 3 hours

On December 13th, we were casting for Muskie from shore. We SLAMMED walleye on 9 inch rubber baits.. the largest was a personal best of a 35 incher! They were in there heavy at that point in time and I’m assuming it only got better. We must have seen well over 30 caaught on musky rubbers in about 3 hours
Any pictures FV? 35" is gigantic.

I was in Chatham yesterday. River was choked with ice floating down. Also ice shelfs along the banks. Delaware was more open if they are up that far.

A pickerel of 35 inches would be exceptional in all respects. Shame you didn't snap a pic. Congrats, that's a greater trophy than a 50 inch musky in my opinion!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks