Thames river

live to fish

Hey all,

I am thinking about going out fishing in the thames this weekend for some trout just want to make sure im in the north thames were they are in season anyone know if it is the north thames that runs through fanshawe lake? or were the north thames is located.

Hmmm better double check your regs on that one to be safe. Usually tribs that far up land are closed until the regular trout season kicks off.

It is the north branch of the Thames that runs through Fanshawe Lake to London however the regs are a little confusing to me. This is what it says: North Thames River (main branch only) - Middlesex County open all year for Rainbow & Brown.

There are 3 branches of the Thames River... the North Thames, South Thames, and Middle Thames Rivers. These are also known as the North Branch, South Branch, and Middle Branch. The regs state in brackets (main branch only) of the North Thames... well what the heck does that mean?... the river is OK but excludes any creeks that run into it? I don't know. You need to get clarification from the MNR to be safe on that one because this is just another case of the regs being confusing and unclear... once again what's new.

It is the north branch of the Thames that runs through Fanshawe Lake to London however the regs are a little confusing to me. This is what it says: North Thames River (main branch only) - Middlesex County open all year for Rainbow & Brown.

There are 3 branches of the Thames River... the North Thames, South Thames, and Middle Thames Rivers. These are also known as the North Branch, South Branch, and Middle Branch. The regs state in brackets (main branch only) of the North Thames... well what the heck does that mean?... the river is OK but excludes any creeks that run into it? I don't know. You need to get clarification from the MNR to be safe on that one because this is just another case of the regs being confusing and unclear... once again what's new.

It is super confusing and then i go in to the office and they told me to call a number who gave me a the offices number and had to leave a message. Why cant they make it easy to understand? oh well if I don't hear back I might just go and not keep anything

Anyone fishing the Thames for walleye?

According to the 2014 fishing regulations walleye don't open up at this end of the Thames River until the 2nd Sat. in May (May 10th/2014). Walleye in Zone 16 are open all year only in this section of the Thames: Thames River - from the mouth of the Thames River at Lake St. Clair to the downstream side of the Keil Street Bridge in the Municipality of Chatham.

Honestly I don't know why us guys who fish the river put up with this. This was supposed to be a temporary closure! I don't mind the slot sizes and the four fish limit but a closure until the 2nd week in may is ridiculous if you ask me.

Bottom of Fanshaw dam downstream to where it enters Main Branch (in London) is considered the Portion of North branch mentioned in Regs as open all year for rainbows & brown trout. From that fork down to LSC is portion of Main stem is open all year for bows, browns & salmon. Confirmed that with a CO 2 weeks ago. Good luck.

Honestly I don't know why us guys who fish the river put up with this. This was supposed to be a temporary closure! I don't mind the slot sizes and the four fish limit but a closure until the 2nd week in may is ridiculous if you ask me.

I totally agree with you @ERIEBOUY. I was stunned to find that out when I checked the regs this morning. Years ago we always fished walleye as soon as the ice was out anywhere on the Thames River.

What really tees me off is the Natives can place nets completely across the river anywhere they want and then sell the walleye in U.S. markets. I remember W5 doing a report on it and proved that the walleye they took accounted for more than 1,000 lbs. for every man, woman and child in the local Native bands. All while we sport fishermen by law are forced to practice conservation and pay for restocking through license fees and private donations just so they can slaughter the fishery with impunity. See what happens to us if for example 4 guys in a boat come in with a limit of perch (200) and you innocently miscounted having 201 perch... the MNR will slap you in the face with a hefty fine. It seems to me that everyone who actually works and pays taxes literally for everything and everyone in this country no longer has any rights. :mad:

Bottom of Fanshaw dam downstream to where it enters Main Branch (in London) is considered the Portion of North branch mentioned in Regs as open all year for rainbows & brown trout. From that fork down to LSC is portion of Main stem is open all year for bows, browns & salmon. Confirmed that with a CO 2 weeks ago. Good luck.

Did you need a lawyer with you to decipher the regs in order to confirm that. LOL!!! :LOL:

OK thanks went out but didn't catch anything to early I think

It's definitely not too early for trout. There were Steelies up as far as Fanshawe by late August. However, the numbers of trout found in the Thames are very low when compared to most known trout streams. With the current water levels locating and getting a bait infront of a Steelie would be a challenge to say the least. There's much better options if you're set on targeting those critters.

Josh

Yeah I just wanted to get out fishing but going to wait for trout season to open and go out at spring water conservation area and by the end of the month hopefully be going to Port Bruce from some catfish

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks