Taking “a break” from Ice Fishing 🎣 for now & Saving Life’s in the meantime.👍👍🙂

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After shovelling lots of snow in my driveway and our seniors neighbours driveway here in London that fell last Thursday overnight into Friday February 18/22,it was then time again for my “whole blood”🩸 donation appointment,(every 56 day’s). I always look forward to coming to the Canadian Blood Services here in London,and last Friday it was my 171 “whole blood” donation. 0E0B2364-8909-4DB9-B94F-431B2292E445.jpeg After donating,there are always refreshments & lots of cookies 🍪 🍪😋 etc., waiting for all blood donors,and a volunteer is always there waiting to serve you. 1217A600-4A78-4723-A33D-D5E6493F9342.jpeg “Thumb’s Up!!” to all volunteer’s!! at the Canadian Blood 🩸 Services.👍👍🙂 Before I left, I was told to take it “easy” for a couple of hour’s,such as no lifting,etc. That sounded good to me!! lol 😂 🤣😉👍🙂 I therefore took this opportunity to take a drive out to the Fanshawe Conservation Park,to see the water level conditions,after just having the milder weather with plenty of rain,last Wednesday into Thursday afternoon. As expected,the water level was quite high and going fast over Fanshawe Dam. 293BB289-BFA9-4CFA-831B-2F8DAA731CDE.jpeg D0859BEF-AB62-4B75-A9E9-EEF4D87E0884.jpeg compared to the photo below of the water level from about a week ago. 65942179-7A7C-4399-A001-50FF9CE939F0.jpeg The ice is starting to separate from the shoreline as well 4A40A8A6-69FC-4FAD-94B0-7C225514F44C.jpeg on Fanshawe Lake,from the rising thames river under the ice.The ice fishing season is of course over now on Fanshawe Lake,but I am glad that I did manage to get out ice fishing there behind Fanshawe Dam 9CDCB1CB-9A2B-4B05-B1A4-73837B200EE7.jpeg a couple of times this past ice fishing season.🎣🐟👍😎 Some information there on a billboard,A82C6B5B-179E-4ED9-93C8-C8E02E9CD3D0.jpeg on how the Fanshawe Dam operates. I finished my visit by the Dam & Lake,by driving through the rest of the fanshawe conservation park,and the scenery there last friday was just gorgeous!! 😍👍🙂E03D4D93-D160-4E3C-8379-6E6C9595B896.jpeg 👍😍👍 In this last photo below,36539A53-C22B-4F03-A591-131918A98FF5.jpeg can anyone spot the deer 🦌 in it?? It was a beautiful day last friday,february 18/22,out at the fanshawe conservation park again,such like many of the trip’s there from before. Well,it’s time to pick a day this coming week to go ice fishing again out on long point bay,now that we have had some colder weather again,and according to some of the ice thickness report’s such as from @Collins Harbour and @Yakfisherman,@LongPointBoysSportfishing @Yakfisherman etc., recently,I am anticipating another great day of ice fishing out on long point bay,like I had last tuesday,february 15/22. Be Safe everyone & tight lines to All!! 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍😎

Last edited:
Good on you Red. As a cardiac surgery survivor, I appreciate your many generous blood donations. Lets hope the ice stays safe and water not too dirty so we can walk out again later next week.

Good on you, 171 donations, that's remarkable. Having just had surgery myself on Tuesday (all went well), one just never knows when they may need to receive blood. Thankyou.

Red, remember the Gaurdian angel sent down to earth in the movie " It's a Wonderful Life " well, I Finaly figured out who you are Red. Your truly a warm person on and off the ice. Thanks for sharing your personal story along with fishing pics too. Stay safe. @Huron :):):)

Great job Red, my karma is taking care of seniors during the winter….big snowblower, sore back

Good on ya Red both for helping someone else with shoveling and the blood donation. I can't donate blood because of the pain meds I take for the back, hips and shoulders, especially at this time of year.

I got out bright and early after that damn storm with my snow blower on Friday morning. (5am dammit cuz property management came through as usual around 3:30am with the plow before anyone had a chance to move their car, and buried pretty much everyone's car half way up the doors almost to the windows for those of us with smaller cars. Good thing my wife is off on Fridays because if she had to work that day, she was walking or she was going to be late.)

Got my one neighbor across from us taken care of so he could take his wife out of town as he'd promised. (they're in their mid 70's) Then I went down a few doors from that and shoveled out the widow of my friend who passed away in the fall. (she's in her mid 70's) Then I got my neighbor to the immediate right of our place if you're looking at it done. (They're in their 60's) Then before I could get enough of that pile they left with the plow out of the way, the blower lost some power. So I grabbed the shovel got enough of the snow out of the way and moved the car and when I went to do the rest of it in front of our place with the blower thinking the blower lost some power because it needed a break.......I was about to have my day made worse.

Because the snow was heavy and wet, and there was a layer of heavier wetter slush under it just where the car had been that hadn't frozen over night in front of my house, 2 passes later, the motor on my snow blower died, permanently. (smelled like an electrical fire.) :mad::banghead:. Damn thing was only 3 1/2 years old and of course the warranty on it expired last year, so my wife came out to help me and between us with shovels, we got our area done, the neighbor to our left if you're looking at our place done (he's a WW2 vet in his late 80's and has a heart condition) and then the neighbors beside them done (they're in their 70's he also has a heart condition) Then I came in, took one of my Rx pain killers, got my wife to put some tiger balm on my back and shoulders, and then went to sleep for a while (the Rx pain killer knocks me out which is why I only ever take it when absolutely necessary.) Woke up a few hours later, went for groceries, came home, told my wife that they had a snow blower on clearance, so she sent me back and we replaced the one that died. Good thing too, because I woke up yesterday and had to go out and do it ALL again because..........property management came through with the plow again (for the light dusting we got over night Friday/Saturday, it wasn't necessary, but they did it anyways and made more of a problem than mother nature had)

Good on you red its a great thing to do i went last tues to give mine but they wouldnt let me as i fell a week earlier and got a concussion was sorry i couldnt donate😔

Good on you red its a great thing to do i went last tues to give mine but they wouldnt let me as i fell a week earlier and got a concussion was sorry i couldnt donate😔
Hoping that you are doing well,& at least you made an effort @Alby 👊👊 and good for you my friend!! 👍👍🙂

Good on ya Red both for helping someone else with shoveling and the blood donation. I can't donate blood because of the pain meds I take for the back, hips and shoulders, especially at this time of year.

I got out bright and early after that damn storm with my snow blower on Friday morning. (5am dammit cuz property management came through as usual around 3:30am with the plow before anyone had a chance to move their car, and buried pretty much everyone's car half way up the doors almost to the windows for those of us with smaller cars. Good thing my wife is off on Fridays because if she had to work that day, she was walking or she was going to be late.)

Got my one neighbor across from us taken care of so he could take his wife out of town as he'd promised. (they're in their mid 70's) Then I went down a few doors from that and shoveled out the widow of my friend who passed away in the fall. (she's in her mid 70's) Then I got my neighbor to the immediate right of our place if you're looking at it done. (They're in their 60's) Then before I could get enough of that pile they left with the plow out of the way, the blower lost some power. So I grabbed the shovel got enough of the snow out of the way and moved the car and when I went to do the rest of it in front of our place with the blower thinking the blower lost some power because it needed a break.......I was about to have my day made worse.

Because the snow was heavy and wet, and there was a layer of heavier wetter slush under it just where the car had been that hadn't frozen over night in front of my house, 2 passes later, the motor on my snow blower died, permanently. (smelled like an electrical fire.) :mad::banghead:. Damn thing was only 3 1/2 years old and of course the warranty on it expired last year, so my wife came out to help me and between us with shovels, we got our area done, the neighbor to our left if you're looking at our place done (he's a WW2 vet in his late 80's and has a heart condition) and then the neighbors beside them done (they're in their 70's he also has a heart condition) Then I came in, took one of my Rx pain killers, got my wife to put some tiger balm on my back and shoulders, and then went to sleep for a while (the Rx pain killer knocks me out which is why I only ever take it when absolutely necessary.) Woke up a few hours later, went for groceries, came home, told my wife that they had a snow blower on clearance, so she sent me back and we replaced the one that died. Good thing too, because I woke up yesterday and had to go out and do it ALL again because..........property management came through with the plow again (for the light dusting we got over night Friday/Saturday, it wasn't necessary, but they did it anyways and made more of a problem than mother nature had)
You @Trevor M need the snacks & refreshments more than me BAB2D534-861A-45CF-A1AC-A42A8E928DFF.jpeg DACC5CBD-1429-4C4D-A6C1-CCFB8A589180.jpeg & good for you for helping out so many of your neighbours there.👍👍🙂 Here’s hoping that was the last major snowfall of this winter & this mild weather that we are having right now should get rid of most of the snow that is laying around.There is colder weather coming again,(which I don’t mind),because I like to be able to get back out ice fishing for perch & pike F6D29DC4-BD97-4A9F-A85F-C7A5FB4EA7DD.jpeg again on long point bay. FCB13FA0-225E-4C4F-80F4-1ECB1971E47E.jpeg The fishing for perch off the Port Bruce pier with perhaps you again,seems like a long ways away!! Take care my friend & we will keep in touch. 🎣🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

You @Trevor M need the snacks & refreshments more than me

:unsure:Why are people always trying to feed me "the good stuff" instead of "the healthy stuff?" I may have lost 13 lbs last year, 😁.......but LOOK AT MY BELLY in that picture you took on the pier last year. :oops:
Do I really look like I "need the snacks?" Yeah I might want'em, but I don't think I "need" them :ROFLMAO:

As for that hockey game last Monday, believe it or not, that game was one I DIDN'T know was on. o_O(I knew they played on Tuesday tho, and I know they're in Washington tomorrow) By the time I realized they were playing last Monday, there was only 4 minutes left in the third, and by then, the game had been decided so I can't really talk about that game because I didn't watch it. I just know Montreal won it 5-2. and that the Habs are currently on a 5 gm winning streak, but, they're still last in the conference, 1 pt better than Arizona for worst in the league. BUT, that gives them a pretty good chance in the draft lottery to potentially get that #1 draft pick, so for the Habs fans, that's a positive considering the year they're having that really nobody expected when compared to what they did last year. But, then again, how they've played this year just kind of confirms what I've been saying for years now, as goes Carey Price, so go the Habs. He's been on the shelf all season for one reason or another and hasn't played a game this year (and I wish him all the best as he recovers from all that has kept him on that shelf) and their record kind of reflects his absence. I know there's more to it than that, their inability to score, always been a problem in recent years, and their terrible defensive play more often than not.:unsure::oops:damn am I still talking bout the Habs or am I talkin bout the Leafs, cuz really, the Habs are playin more like the Leafs we all know and love, than the Leafs are this year, and I'm ok with that :ROFLMAO:

I'm going back to bed now. Gnite 🤪

Attachments

• 7BC897F2-0624-44B7-8C70-C873122F9D1E.jpeg
    7BC897F2-0624-44B7-8C70-C873122F9D1E.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 14
:unsure:Why are people always trying to feed me "the good stuff" instead of "the healthy stuff?" I may have lost 13 lbs last year, 😁.......but LOOK AT MY BELLY in that picture you took on the pier last year. :oops:
Do I really look like I "need the snacks?" Yeah I might want'em, but I don't think I "need" them :ROFLMAO:

As for that hockey game last Monday, believe it or not, that game was one I DIDN'T know was on. o_O(I knew they played on Tuesday tho, and I know they're in Washington tomorrow) By the time I realized they were playing last Monday, there was only 4 minutes left in the third, and by then, the game had been decided so I can't really talk about that game because I didn't watch it. I just know Montreal won it 5-2. and that the Habs are currently on a 5 gm winning streak, but, they're still last in the conference, 1 pt better than Arizona for worst in the league. BUT, that gives them a pretty good chance in the draft lottery to potentially get that #1 draft pick, so for the Habs fans, that's a positive considering the year they're having that really nobody expected when compared to what they did last year. But, then again, how they've played this year just kind of confirms what I've been saying for years now, as goes Carey Price, so go the Habs. He's been on the shelf all season for one reason or another and hasn't played a game this year (and I wish him all the best as he recovers from all that has kept him on that shelf) and their record kind of reflects his absence. I know there's more to it than that, their inability to score, always been a problem in recent years, and their terrible defensive play more often than not.:unsure::oops:damn am I still talking bout the Habs or am I talkin bout the Leafs, cuz really, the Habs are playin more like the Leafs we all know and love, than the Leafs are this year, and I'm ok with that :ROFLMAO:

I'm going back to bed now. Gnite 🤪
Are you awake yet?? lol 😆 It’s good to read your post again @Trevor M 👍👍 and I and likely many others love reading them as well!! 👍👍🙂 I am still getting lots of compliments whenever & wherever I wear my Montreal Canadiens winter jacket,even though the Canadiens are playing terrible this year,and you made some very good point’s why they are. Good luck to the Toronto Maple 🍁 Leafs this year,(did I just write that?? 🤔😳), lol 😂🤣😉. By the way,who is that good looking “HABS” fan in that photo you posted? 🧐😗🥰 Well,it’s time for me to get my ice fishing tackle together for another trip out onto the frozen 🥶 tundra soon. It will likely be my last ice fishing trip sometime this week,because I want to fish for some thames river walleye’s,before the walleye season closes east of the Chatham bridge on the thames river by March 15/22. Be safe my friend & here’s hoping for a good perch bite,off the Port Bruce pier once the perch bite starts,and I am looking forward to be meeting up with you again then. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🙂👍🙂

Attachments

• 6BA3334C-2F9C-462B-9787-61DEBA5928A0.jpeg
    6BA3334C-2F9C-462B-9787-61DEBA5928A0.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 2
Are you awake yet?? lol 😆 It’s good to read your post again @Trevor M 👍👍 and I and likely many others love reading them as well!! 👍👍🙂 I am still getting lots of compliments whenever & wherever I wear my Montreal Canadiens winter jacket,even though the Canadiens are playing terrible this year,and you made some very good point’s why they are. Good luck to the Toronto Maple 🍁 Leafs this year,(did I just write that?? 🤔😳), lol 😂🤣😉. By the way,who is that good looking “HABS” fan in that photo you posted? 🧐😗🥰 Well,it’s time for me to get my ice fishing tackle together for another trip out onto the frozen 🥶 tundra soon. It will likely be my last ice fishing trip sometime this week,because I want to fish for some thames river walleye’s,before the walleye season closes east of the Chatham bridge on the thames river by March 15/22. Be safe my friend & here’s hoping for a good perch bite,off the Port Bruce pier once the perch bite starts,and I am looking forward to be meeting up with you again then. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🙂👍🙂
Those aren't compliments on the clothing Red, those are expressions of pity, (and maybe surprise that such clothing is being worn in public) that us Leafs fans are all to used too that Habs fans often mistake as compliments when relayed to them :ROFLMAO:

I didn't post that picture, YOU did. I just saved it to the file where I have all my fishin pics. I'll let you know when I'm planning to come out of hibernation and make my way to the pier. Won't be for a while yet tho, and with what happened down there last week with the flooding I'm not even willing to go down just for something to do. I'd rather stay out of their way during the clean up and repairs. I'll look for any posts you make on your Thames adventures before they close it. I'd join you if I could, but I can't stand on the river bank long enough to enjoy it, nor can I bushwhack anymore to get to the river bank, even if there's a relatively easy spot to get to ie under the bridge by the racetrack out by Delaware, so I'll live vicariously through you and others who can as I have for the past 7-8 years.

Those aren't compliments on the clothing Red, those are expressions of pity, (and maybe surprise that such clothing is being worn in public) that us Leafs fans are all to used too that Habs fans often mistake as compliments when relayed to them :ROFLMAO:

I didn't post that picture, YOU did. I just saved it to the file where I have all my fishin pics. I'll let you know when I'm planning to come out of hibernation and make my way to the pier. Won't be for a while yet tho, and with what happened down there last week with the flooding I'm not even willing to go down just for something to do. I'd rather stay out of their way during the clean up and repairs. I'll look for any posts you make on your Thames adventures before they close it. I'd join you if I could, but I can't stand on the river bank long enough to enjoy it, nor can I bushwhack anymore to get to the river bank, even if there's a relatively easy spot to get to ie under the bridge by the racetrack out by Delaware, so I'll live vicariously through you and others who can as I have for the past 7-8 years.
I realized @Trevor M that I originally took that photo of the three of us on the pier in port bruce,and it was nice of you that you posted it again,for I had lost a lot of my photo’s. It’s good to see @Hooked on Ice in that photo as well. I am hoping for a great but short walleye season till March 15/22,and there should be some walleye photo’s coming soon. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🤞🤞😉 Take care & enjoy the rest of your hibernation. 👍👍🙂

Got a call from my youngest last night. She had gotten up the nerve to go and donate blood for the first time and was devastated to be disqualified for a 0.1* temperature above the donator temperature degree limit.

Hope she goes again and finds a way to reduce her self induced stress. Poor kid. 🤗 🌻

Got a call from my youngest last night. She had gotten up the nerve to go and donate blood for the first time and was devastated to be disqualified for a 0.1* temperature above the donator temperature degree limit.

Hope she goes again and finds a way to reduce her self induced stress. Poor kid. 🤗 🌻
WOW!! 😳 and that is just crazy to read @hvyhaul !! :cautious: Here I thought that they were very desperate for more blood🩸 donors,and I guess that I was wrong!! A O.1* temperature above the donator temperature degrees limit & she was disqualified!! I guess that they are not that desperate for 🩸 blood donors’s after all,even though there are only 4 % of blood 🩸 donor’s out there,donating their blood 🩸 and time to save life’s!! Please congratulate her from me for trying to donate,and most importantly,tell
her please not to give up,for the need for blood 🩸 is very high!! If you like @hvyhaul please keep me updated,and a hug 🤗 🥰 for your daughter,(if you don’t mind),from the @Red Hering & 2 & 4 “thumbs way UP!! “ 👍👍👍👍🙂

Attachments

• 31129D84-CF9B-44C5-8715-26958F51B6AC.jpeg
    31129D84-CF9B-44C5-8715-26958F51B6AC.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 1
  • F4F0D87E-B730-475D-BA8E-30166BF5B438.jpeg
    F4F0D87E-B730-475D-BA8E-30166BF5B438.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 1
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks