Sufix Leadcore

Schmick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
So just getting into this whole leadcore witchcraft… set up a segmented line on braid backing with 2 runs of 5 colour and a floro leader. 27 lb Sufix lead line has snapped twice in the middle of the colour. Both times with a ninja board snapped onto braid and seemingly with a large fish on but certainly not horsing it in and bang, the lead is breaking. It is definitely not the knots letting go. Anyone else having issues with this brand? I have landed a few good fish on it successfully but the ones that broke it had some weight behind them.

So just getting into this whole leadcore witchcraft… set up a segmented line on braid backing with 2 runs of 5 colour and a floro leader. 27 lb Sufix lead line has snapped twice in the middle of the colour. Both times with a ninja board snapped onto braid and seemingly with a large fish on but certainly not horsing it in and bang, the lead is breaking. It is definitely not the knots letting go. Anyone else having issues with this brand? I have landed a few good fish on it successfully but the ones that broke it had some weight behind them.
That’s really odd I love that line never had an issue with it

Was on a charter once several years ago got an absolutely massive hit on a full core from a huge king. Damn thing jumped clear out of the water. The person whose turn it was says, I hope it doesn't break me off. Captain says, lead core doesn't break. 2 seconds later whiff BUT that is the only time I have seen that. The strength from core is in the sheath if you are breaking off something is damaging the sheath I'd check my guides something is nicking the sheath

Last edited:
All my years I've never broken leadcore.... Never tried suffix tho. That's definitely frustrating when you essentially have to redo your entire setup.

Josh

Was on a charter once several years ago got an absolutely massive hit on a full core from a huge king damn thing jumped clear out of the water the person whose turn it was says, I hope it doesn't break me off captain says, lead core doesn't break 2 seconds later whiff BUT that is the only time I have seen that the strength from core is on the sheath if you are breaking off something is damaging the sheath I'd check my guides something is nicking the sheath
Good call. It’s an older rod which could have a bad eye.

Dunno, bad batch or bad eye. The line snapped 45 feet up from the fish with 5 colours out.

I've used leadcore forever... Courtland, tuffline and suffix.. I've even used it for kings and never snapped off a fish... The sheath can be damaged by several things... Bad eye on rod, tangles with other lines or rigger cable or clipping inlines or big boards to sheath (i don't recommend) to the same spot... Also some guys hook there spoons to the reel face and could knick it... I run them out at the beginning of every season and reel them up between my fingers... Core lasts a long time if you take care of it...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks