Sucker fish

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Anyone on here enjoy sucker fish?
I've never fished for or tried eating them before
But heard they can be good.
Thoughts? Comments?

Yes, they are good at this time of the year out of the cold water. I fried them with a beer batter. Friends happened to come over just after I had finished cooking and they were sitting there on the platter and they started eating having no idea what species of fish. They couldn't believe how good they were. I've also had them pickled.

I ate them many times years ago baked, fried and canned. Even though I remember they were good now when I look at those lips I just can't bring myself to eat them any more.:LOL: Especially when there's plenty of perch, walleye or pike to be had but that's just me. :D

I ate them many times years ago baked, fried and canned. Even though I remember they were good now when I look at those lips I just can't bring myself to eat them any more.:LOL: Especially when there's plenty of perch, walleye or pike to be had but that's just me. :D

I hear what you're saying.
I've never eaten pike either! How's that?
Until I can get out on the water for perch and walleye I need something to scratch the itch!
Fishing for perch in my freezer from last year just isn't cutting it.

I've never personally tried sucker fish or even thought to try them for that matter lol. But they are lots of fun to catch and release!! They fight and even jump outta the water when they're running the creeks. It's my spring tradition to go sucker fishing and the run is almost in full swing I'm sure! Be sure to post results if you go @Derkd9

I hear what you're saying.
I've never eaten pike either! How's that?
Until I can get out on the water for perch and walleye I need something to scratch the itch!
Fishing for perch in my freezer from last year just isn't cutting it.

The chunky pike from the hard bottom cold water lakes of Northern Ontario is my favorite freshwater fish, even over perch and walleye. Once you zip out the "Y" bones they are great. I challenged many guys that went moose hunting with us over the years by frying up both in separate fry pans then got them to taste both without knowing which was which. Every time they chose the pike over the walleye. Now the pike from the weedy lakes of Southern Ontario, not even close for taste. Then again neither are the walleye from here in my opinion.

Now go scratch that itch @Derkd9 because sucker may be your favorite once you try it. (y)

Canadian Sportsfishing did a show on sucker fishing a few years back. You can see the episode on Youtube. Italo showed you how to deep-fry suckers.

They are fun to catch on light gear - I got a few hawgs last spring.

WR

Whatever floats your boat.
Maybe you're just joking
But I wouldn't compare a mammal that will eat a used condom out of a trash can, to a bottom feeding fish that lives in Lake Erie.
I don't see how they would be similar in comparison.

when it comes to edibility I've caught trout sucker fishin and suckers trout fishing so what's the diff. I think eating wise other than bones they're about the same.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks