Sturgeon lake kawarthas

shorefisher

Number one and myself are heading to sturgeon lake this week. Just wondering what the lake and fishing are like. Any decent spots? Difficult channels to travel?

Used to fish there years ago, had real good luck trolling body baits around Cameron and fishing up towards Fennlon Falls ............Good luck

Hey shorefisher...the number one lake on the Karwatha lakes was always Stoney Lake...I fished them all for walleye to muskie from the May walleye opener to late June...the Buckhorns can be a good bet too.. we had the best fishin around the numerous islands on Stoney...check it out...Those lakes had alot of pressure when I fished them...Stoney had the least pressure..I also remember fishin at night with minnows for walleyes at Fenlon Falls...but that was post spawn in the spring...Rice lake is another gem for good fishin!!! That would be a must fish...Are you takin your own boat?...if so get a good lake map of the lakes where you can access to find where the boat launches are...Now thats where Navionics would really help fishin lakes like stoney...I would also talk to the local bait shops along the way and get some fishin reports and locations to fish...hope that helps(y)

Good Luck!!!

Hey shorefisher...the number one lake on the Karwatha lakes was always Stoney Lake...I fished them all for walleye to muskie from the May walleye opener to late June...the Buckhorns can be a good bet too.. we had the best fishin around the numerous islands on Stoney...check it out...Those lakes had alot of pressure when I fished them...Stoney had the least pressure..I also remember fishin at night with minnows for walleyes at Fenlon Falls...but that was post spawn in the spring...Rice lake is another gem for good fishin!!! That would be a must fish...Are you takin your own boat?...if so get a good lake map of the lakes where you can access to find where the boat launches are...Now thats where Navionics would really help fishin lakes like stoney...I would also talk to the local bait shops along the way and get some fishin reports and locations to fish...hope that helps(y)

Good Luck!!!
Stoney Lake was also my favourite for fishing in the Kawartha Lakes.Definitely be careful on that Lake for boating!! As the name of the lake applies,it is very stoney,but that of course equals a lot of Structure for the fish.Good Luck,& Tight Lines!!

Last edited:
It been almost 24 years since i fished Sturgeon lake, so i dont remember much.......I'm pretty sure ' FISHING MAPS PLUS ' sell fishing maps for that lake
Ive bought several maps in past from that site....they show contours, depths, rocks, shoals and general perfered spots for each species.....not a navigational map , but they come in very handy. I find most of the Kawartha lakes too be marked very well for boat channels and rocks!!! Its part of the trent severn waterway....lots of tourists and houseboats travelling up those lake systems. most lakes up there have panfish, crappy, pike, walleye, muskie in them

Pike??? There was never ever pike in the Kawartha Lakes... a few pike did find a way into a couple of the lakes.. but very very few ...If you ever did catch one they highly reccomend it be kept...there are good numbers of musky and walleye in Stoney Lake...

Pike??? There was never ever pike in the Kawartha Lakes... a few pike did find a way into a couple of the lakes.. but very very few ...If you ever did catch one they highly reccomend it be kept...there are good numbers of musky and walleye in Stoney Lake...
lots of pike now.....lakes are all connected from lake simcoe ...too lake ontario.....ive caught them in six mile lake...glochester pool...pigeon ...buckhorn and lovesick lake
they used to say the same about the crappie...but now some lakes have ....slots...limits...and seasons for them

I am not going to doubt it...I think pike would be lake specific on being lots? there was never pike in the Karwatha lakes....that was a highlight of the lakes being pike free...it was musky madness back when we fished Stoney...the old guys will tell ya that...hey i would like to fish that lake again and rice lake too...a old buddy still fishes rice lake every season and does well...
the very odd musky comes out a tiger musky up there ...crossing with a pike...so there are a few...

I have a fishing/hunting bud that lives right on Sturgeon and fish it with him a few times yearly. He fishes every day. Its been a bit slow because of the heat. A week ago his bro-inlaw prefished before a tourney and caught the biggest LG bass he's ever caught. The walleye have been good, and they tend to be large.

Heres a map that I added some spots to....

sturgeon_zpskwsvprjy.jpg

We cast the docks all around the lake .. just be polite with people sitting on them! There's lots of cribs and boat houses that offer a lot of structure. Mostly bass, some musky. Along the shores there are overhanging trees, bushes .. good spots.
On the east side where I put weeds there are some big grass beds out from shore that hold a lot of bass on the edges. There is a bit of a bay, then it comes out to a point that is all rock and stone...good smallie spot.
Long Beach is marked...across the lake is Sturgeon Point.. you can find 40++ ft of water with a big drop-off. It holds smallies, walleye. Ball point is good for smallies and walleye...you see a lot of boats dragging harnesses for eyes there. Go around the point into a back bay with cottages.. lots of lily pads for largemouth...we toss top water frogs and Sluggos in there.
Head north from long beach towards Fenlon Falls, past the cottages on the W shore and you'll come to a long stretch of rushes. Really good pads and weed edges in there, but also a LOT of logs and stumps, so be careful. Good spot for a bow mound electric. Holds a bunch of largemouth and some musky.
Heading up the NE section towards Bobcaygeon the entire N shore has rocky shoreline, docks, weed beds...we drift and cast. Lots of smallies. On the south shore you see Emily Creek ..the mouth in the lake is good for bass, musky. Weeds can get thick, we often troll the outer edge, but working it with spinnerbaits can be good.
Just N is an island--we've trolled and cast around it for smallies and walleye. There's a bunch of rock structure that's good.
The south end towards Lindsay is marshy, cattails, pads, etc. Hav't fished it a lot but it looks like largemouth heaven.
There isn't a ton of structure in the lake, mostly the edges. Crayfish are a big forage, so find rocks you find bass.

Now thats a pile of great info @DaveJ for the poster headin up there to fish... you have spent alot of time and enjoyment fishin that lake...good for you!!!

Wow @DaveJ that's a tonn of info thanks a lot everyone I'll try the ares and techniques you guys have given. I'll let you all know how we do.

Yes Davej pretty much covered the lake very well, I have fished there since I was a kid and one thing is for sure you can always catch fish of some sort in Sturgeon Lake. It has been very weedy anywhere beyond the marina heading down the channel at the bottom end. Also there are lots of stumps in the bottom end weed beds outside the channel. ENJOY

We fished Burleigh Falls from shore many times and snorkeled the base of the Falls. Stayed on Clear Lake a few years ago and hammered Walleye on Stoney. They don't call it Stoney for nothing, be careful if you go there in a boat. I have never been to Sturgeon.

Sturgeons a nice lake, lots of fish...big bass, big eyes, big musky. Tons of perch and monster gills, crappie.....but it can be tough at times. Not a lot of mid lake structure...seems like a lot is the shorelines, weed beds, points, docks, etc. Its shallow also...so maybe in the summer concentrating on the canal depths might be a good bet, esp for the eyes. There is SOOOOOO much largemouth bass cover its a bit intimidating. I've never fished up by Fenelon Falls with some current....good for eyes????

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks