strange fish in the bay today

ch312

a few hundred yards south of bait island today i saw a dead fish drifting so i decided to check it out. it was about 18-20" long and dark gray along the back and a touch light down the sides with large scales like a carp. the head was small for the size of fish and had teeth similar to a row like piranha. almost like a mooneye, but much larger and different colors.

i wanted a pic of it and tried to grab it, but i passed by it i attempted to reverse to try again, but ran it over. the fish was never seen again.

Hopefully it isn't one of these Northern Snakeheads...???....

F8-Channa-argus1.jpg

definitely not a snakehead.

after looking at a bunch of pics online, i can't find a picture of this fish. it had the scales and colors of a dark fallfish, but with a more football shape front end/head with teeth in a row like just like this ^^^^^^

google a "Tiger Fish" it has a body shape similar to a Moon eye, and the teeth are pretty significant.... but it should not be able to survive in Ontario.....way to cold for a native of the Zambezi river but some pet stores may sell them ?

You can get some pretty good size Pirranha if you have large aquarium but again they like warmer water

if it was one of these it was an release by an irrisponsible pet owner and nature took care of it and the temperature killed it.

CARPE DIEM

Google bowfin, there are quite a few of those in the bay
Usually there us a large round spot near the tail and they have lots of teeth
I believe everyone calls them dog fish

Here's a bowfin, I've seen them before but never really realized they had huge teeth but apparently they do. No wonder people confuse them with snakeheads because they are fairly similar. The official word on snakeheads is that there are none in the great lakes although some folks would argue otherwise...

images.jpg

Tons of bowfin in the bay. Most that I have caught were 18-20 inches. My buddy caught one around 27"

Dan B.

www.Fish-A-Thon.com

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_100_1368.jpg
187931_111125182274045_2211041_n.jpg

Yup dogfish(bowfin) Wife actually caught one last spring at Dunville when we were cat fishing. They have a real bad attitude and very agressive teeth. I swear the thing was actually trying to attack me while i took it off the hook. Her catch looked like the lower lighter colored one

That is a snake head fish its called a "northern snake head"! Look it up I just did and its Identical!

Chris yalowica

you can tell the diff. from a snakehead to a bowfin because the snakeheads back fin is continuous on the top and on the bottom the bofins rear fin is continuous just on the top!

Chris yalowica

Definitely not a Bowfin. I've caught several. The head on a Bowfin looks identical to that of a lake trout. The Bowfins I've caught were not striped. The pattern and coloration on these look much like a Norther Pike. Never seen anything like it. At least, not until now!

im 110% sure it wasnt a bowfin or snakehead as ive seen them both before and they have nothing in common with the fish i saw.

the body was deep like a carp, but the front end tapered down like a football to a head that looked too small for its body. i still havent found a pic of a similar species...

Sorry guys I thought the fish you were talking about the ones in the tray! those are 100% Northern snakehead, if you don't have a pic of the fish you saw then I don't know what they are! could be some sort of a carp! they come in all shapes and sizes and colours too!

Chris yalowica

A few Summers ago we were trying to catch a fish in our channel that looked like a large solid black Crappie with teeth like a piranha or pacu. We threw everything at it but were unsuccessful. Sure makes a guy go hmmm...

quote:
Originally posted by Landlocked

A few Summers ago we were trying to catch a fish in our channel that looked like a large solid black Crappie with teeth like a piranha or pacu. We threw everything at it but were unsuccessful. Sure makes a guy go hmmm...

What time of day was that Andy!!! Everytime I've been up your channel, you made us stop for a beer:D:D

Last week I went for walk in the marsh across from your channel to see what Jim Granger was doing with the bulldozer. Without getting into a long explanation, he is opening up the marsh to allow more water in. He has opened quite an area and as you can see how deep he is on his first clearing and then he will go over it again to get 3-4' deepth of water. I never realized how invasive that Phragmites has choked the march.

Jim

2e3opau.jpg

witr1x.jpg

Did you think to take it to the MNR and have their fish biologist ID it for you? There's a fish biologist at the MNR in Port Dover, you can freeze it and take it in when you're in the area.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks