Steel reports???

Well put stick, luckily when everything is running high and dirty locally, there are spots that are low and clear, and everything in between. Dont mind doing some driving here and there to chase some chromers.

005.jpg

Question for stick or quinner...I want to purchase a good quality float set up and since I'm not well versed on the topic, I might end up purchasing a pile of crap. Can you gentlemen suggest a quality brand which I won't have to replace every 2 years or so. I have the Columbia River literally in my back yard and the land owner has indicated there is excellent trout fishing there. I have a Sage 9' TCX-8wt w/4580CF reel which I just up graded to however, I know nothing about a good float set up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys...

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board. I am guessing you are located in British Columbia, if so I would recommend an Islander float reel as I believe they are still made out there. Kingpin is also another good reel but if budget minded go with an Okuma Sheffield. They spin so smooth and free and are reasonably priced and very durable.

For a rod, out there I'd go with about a 13 ft float rod maybe even 15 in a three piece blank. As for make, Raven makes a nice light rod with plenty of backbone.

Best of luck with your search, just ask a lot of questions of your local tackle guys. Talk with folks on the bank see what they use and observe their technique.

Once you go with a float rig you'll be the one that gets hooked.

Merry Christmas

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. I checked out both Kingpin and Raven however, the tough part now is deciding which to purchase as Raven also produce a quality reel to complement their rods.The closest dealer is 12 hours away in Chilliwack B.C. but I am planning a trip to Ont. in February so I will likely get hold of Steve at Lambeth Rod and Tackle prior to leaving and have him order them in.Steve is a great guy to deal with and I like to spend my money locally, besides,I will always consider London/St. Thomas as home.Ice fishing should start any day now on Lake Windermere which froze over 3 weeks ago and is 6k from the house.The temps here currently are -7 day, -16 to -20 night.We are right in the Purcell's and rock doesn't hold heat very well.

Thanks again Rob and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Mike

Agree with Chromeseeker, cant go wrong with an Islander. The sheffield is a nice reel too, for a bit cheaper. You can go see Joclyn at Angling Outfitters between London and Woodstock as well, he stocks many different new and used reels.

Im not a fan of raven float reels, but thats just my opinion. I dont think they are made as well as some of the others...

They do make decent rods though. Streamside rods for the price cant be beat, and a lifetime over the counter warranty as well.

005.jpg

Hi quinner, I finally had a chance to talk to a few locals this morning as they were ice fishing,(huts on the ice this morning), they said the same thing about Raven rods. Their reel preference is Kingpin over Islander however, you can't go wrong with either. So, my choice is simple.

Thanks for your input.

Mike

I agree the Raven float rods are a good rod. I would advise that you check the warranty before buying. I purchased my 13' x 3pc rod at Bass Pro 2 years ago, and broke the tip this week while fishing. I know this is my fault for not questioning, but found out this week that Bass Pro only warrants their rods for 1 year. I'm sure you can do much better than this at your local tackle store.:(

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks