Fishing Report Stanley @ 70'

cmac

Cruised out to 70' @ 180 due south of Stanley to burn off more of the old fuel. Turned around and set up the lead core @ 9/10 color with the black/purple spoon (again) @2.9-3.5 mph. Managed 5 eyes. kept 1, released 1 and lost 3 at the boat (solo). Got quiet so I switched to blue/silver spoon @ 5 color and hooked 2 nice bows however, since I sold my smoker, I let the line slack and the bows spit out the hooks. All good! Now the interesting part. I decided to try a set up my late friend Paps willed me, a massive reel spooled with 350 yards of braid along with a blue/silver spoon with pink/orange small stripes and copper back. He said it brought him luck on the coast. Threw out 70 yards and returned to the helm. 5 minutes later the rod exploded!!! The tip went straight down and something was stripping line at a ridiculous rate. It never stopped stripping until it emptied the spool and snapped the line. So, what the hell was that? Are there big Kings in Erie? I'm more pissed that I lost the spoon.

Were you just flatlining a spoon off braid and nothing else? Wouldn’t that put you like 5 feet down at the most? There are few big kings in Erie. More seem to be off the tip of long point in the deeper water. There are also 30+ pound lakers. However my guess would be a massive Muskie as studies have tracked some that move from st. Clair all the way to Niagara and back.

Lakers...never thought of that. Didn't use a leader so thinking a muskie would have cut through. Regardless, just wish I didn't lose the spoon. Oh well...that's fishing I guess and a great day on the water!

Do you think line broke or cut by teeth..... possibly giant sheephead spooled you then found a week point in older line and broke off. ???

From my experience out of central basin anytime something screams drag and fights like a salmon ....it has always been a huge sheephead

But anything is possible

Puddle jumper, the line didn't break, what ever it was stripped all line from the reel. It broke when it hit the spool...zero line left. I suppose one could speculate till the cows come home, however, I just got off the boat after reviewing exactly where I was in the lake and it appears according to my chart plotter, I was very close to the U.S. line which surprised me as I didn't think I was that far out.So, with that being said, just maybe I got my line caught in the prop of a "Trumpedo" patrolling the U.S./Canada boarders.?

Riding high in the water column out there my guess it had an adipose fin. Massive Hoe, Nook or Bow. Nothing in our water like em. The truly big ones don't act like the rest. They use their weight and power to leave you nothing but memories and dreams of meeting once again one day. The best part of the entire memory is that you were using equipment that was once held by someone special to you. He was there with you, letting you know that there are moments in this life that can never be duplicated again, except in story and memory.

The chances of a king sitting near the surface in 75f water is slim, a laker impossible....A big sheephead will peel a suprising amount of line. As will a large log lol! Theres a surprising amount of crap floating around offshore right now. With the light, variable winds and lacl of wave action theres nothing to push debris up onto shorelines.

Josh

If the line is stripping much faster than boat speed, I doubt that a log would be responsible.

Now a sub, guaranteed. ?

It’s not very often that you snag a log near the surface and the log dives down after being hooked either....

Unless that spoon he was using was more like the 16oz “spoons” newfies use for jigging in the ocean and he hooked bottom?

your mystery fish...a long distance 300 yd screamer has to be a big king.. ..theres a few out there...almost every erieau derby always seems to have a decent size king weighed in and wins first prize

for erie I had one big king off long point just about spooled me with bare spool showing until we turned back quick and gained some line..ya I landed um my personal best erie king..a few days later we caught 5 erie kings & 4 coho...the point

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 116.jpg ya the tail on the king gives them impressive long & fast runs..where you can burn your finger on the line sizzling off the reel ..like you say

I have seen kings chasing alewives right to and on the surface in august out in thompson hole owen sound..

I'm going with Asian carp... I've seen a couple odd looking fish swimming on the surface out of Stanley this year... one seemed to be flying almost, then back under the water... no proof though, I'll keep my camera handy from now on

Salmon and other coldwater species can die within minutes in warm water. And I thought asian carp would prefer shallow water?

Anything is possible, but I would wager a muskie or pike. I catch trophies all the time with direct-tied jigs up north. They can EASILY miss a trolled spoon and get hooked on the lip.

Another possibility is a foul-hooked fish.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks