st williams ice conditions

johnny eh

hey everyone just wondering what the ice is like out of st williams i will be walking out also how is the fishing just wondering any info would be great thanks again

If you look a few posts down you will see old cut marina has posted a report. In all honesty this time of year is a few perch worth risking your life for? I mean I'm not trying to be your mother or anything but $10 will buy you more perch than you will likely catch from what previous reports have said. Be safe whatever you do.

Ice is still good and fishing has picked up, stay inside the pressure crack and you'll be fine for a couple more days at least

Ice is still good and fishing has picked up, stay inside the pressure crack and you'll be fine for a couple more days at least

Jwalsh, I'd hate to have to look in the mirror in the morning if a fellow Angler drowned based on my recommendation that the ice is fine for a couple more days.
No disrespect jwalsh but I think I'd listen to the pro's at Old Cut Marinas before I'd listen someone I don't know and never met.

Johnny eh, here's my opinion, ICE FISHING SEASON ON LONG POINT BAY is over, but what do I know. Just last week 2 sleds went under 20 feet from shore here. You are a mature adult, make your own decisions based on good information.

Stupidity is a DNA thing passed on through the generations, that is excusable. Ignorance is an individual with some semblance of intelligence that refuses to accept fact and makes poor decisions.

It's not called spring ice out for no reason.

When I post a report on this forum I have to take into account the Pros, Newbies and my Business. First and Foremost is the Safety of our fellow Ice Fishermen. I can post on here all day long how safe or unsafe the ice is, some will take my advice others won't. Since the Majority of Ice Fisherman are Utilizing the Marina Property , I need to be upfront and give an unbiased report based on fact and the ever changing conditions at this time of year. To the PROS, sure the Ice is still Good. To the NEWBIES yes, the ICE is very UNSAFE. To my customers, there is 6" to 10" of Ice on the Bay. Use Extreme Caution and be wary of the Ever Changing conditions. I would suggest to people posting on Ice conditions, just give us the FACTS. How much Ice? Any soft spots? Using the terms Great , Good or Fantastic is not going to cut it now. I'm sure @Jwalsh was posting to the PROS! At this time of Year remember this. That 6" to 10" inches of Ice on the Bay, Is not the same Ice we had in January. This ICE has been rode HARD and Put away WET!

Last edited:
Jwalsh, I'd hate to have to look in the mirror in the morning if a fellow Angler drowned based on my recommendation that the ice is fine for a couple more days.
No disrespect jwalsh but I think I'd listen to the pro's at Old Cut Marinas before I'd listen someone I don't know and never met.

Johnny eh, here's my opinion, ICE FISHING SEASON ON LONG POINT BAY is over, but what do I know. Just last week 2 sleds went under 20 feet from shore here. You are a mature adult, make your own decisions based on good information.

Stupidity is a DNA thing passed on through the generations, that is excusable. Ignorance is an individual with some semblance of intelligence that refuses to accept fact and makes poor decisions.

It's not called spring ice out for no reason.

Your entitled to your own opinion. If someone wanders out on the ice with out being properly prepared and just based on my comment, that's there problem. I will have no issues looking at myself in the mirror....I was out yesterday and I found the ice to be fine. I'm sure all you were doing yesterday was sitting your computer. Have you ever even given a fishing report on this forum????

I know exactly what you are talking about George. I believe it's George. We have to be careful with whom we are speaking to when discussing safety conditions. Simply put an individual that through education, training , experience and qualifications is more likely to be more aware and prepared to deal with any given hazard much differently than an individual without the listed attributes. Where we worked we were trained and prepared to deal with situations that we could deem as normal daily operations where hazards did exist, but were prepared for them and how to deal with them every second. For any layman not trained in Scott Air Pac use, not familiar with the effects and limits of Carbon Monoxide exposure, able to determine what an alarm meant, able to recognize the evacuation alarm and procedure for example just walking into the department could be deemed a hazardous situation that was likely to endanger the health and safety of that person. I remember one Sunday afternoon an entourage of suits pulled up and started walking up the stairway to the Cast House floor at the Hamilton works. I stopped them in their tracks. Explained to the company President and the I.R. guy hat they were in no uncertain terms allowed to take another step forward in my best non alarmist demeanor. He was embarrassed and pissed. I told the Industrial Relations rep and the President of the union local as well as himself privately why. They were none too happy and left. If they were willing to take an hour and listen to my orientation spiel they would be able to take the tour which was rare. The others in the group included the former President of Poland Lech Wallenza and father of the eastern European labour movement and then Premier of Ontario Bob Rae. I thought I was going to be fired on Monday but knew I was right. They did not have the training to be there. What happened after is another story.

So when it comes to safety not all are created equal.

Last edited:
Your entitled to your own opinion. If someone wanders out on the ice with out being properly prepared and just based on my comment, that's there problem. I will have no issues looking at myself in the mirror....I was out yesterday and I found the ice to be fine. I'm sure all you were doing yesterday was sitting your computer. Have you ever even given a fishing report on this forum????

Come on man. Don't take it personally. See above post. Walking on 1" ice is probably some of the safest things I had to do for 25 years. That ice would have been on the docks in January on the bay in Hamilton to pull a Stevedore out of the water. I'm on the computer because I blew my body out when younger and only wish I could walk out on the ice without a cane with you yesterday, any day in fact. Just because someone can type and speak with confidence and has good grammar doesn't make them a computer nerd. I did take out the recycling yesterday. Smile, it's free. As far as fishing reports I don't post as many because I can't fish often, depending on my glucose levels. Don't want to loose a leg now do I. Getting into the boat is a challenge in itself. The golf cart not so bad.

Your absolutely right, WTP is entitled to his opinion and granted so are you, but your arrogance is stunning to say the least. Us old guys have been around long enough to know first hand how deadly arrogance like your displaying can be. You may well look at yourself in the mirror with confidence but have you given any thought to whether your family can bear to look at you in a coffin? There’s a long, long line of people with like attitudes pushing up daisies who have gone on the ice too early or too late when conditions are unsafe leaving behind a host of devastated loved ones solely because they also thought they knew it all. I know from experience that heeding sound advice is always a real smart decision with no regrets. Blowing it off is just plain selfish stupidity on your part. Like the late great John Wayne (the Duke) once said: “Life’s tough...it’s real tough when your stupid!”

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that one,

"Life’s tough...it’s real tough when your stupid!”

Like I always say one way or another stupid is a DNA thing, you can't learn stupid, it's past down through the genes. It's ignorance that I won't tolerate. Sometimes it can't be helped. Because I wasn't fishing I must have been sitting my computer all day. I wish I had have done that in school, sit a computer all day. Then I would have been blessed enough to have one of those jobs like our dear leader Stomp has. Then maybe I would be able to walk 50 feet without having more ortho surgery.

Stomp does sitting your computer hurt? It sure sounds painful to me. I wonder if we are talking full size PC, laptop or tablet. Now a tablet has to hurt, and hurt badly. Maybe it means not letting your computer play. Like Johnny D your sitting this game out, as in "get on the bench son, you stink" . OK I'm done. Jwalsh, just having fun, life she's too short to sweat the small stuff man. Smile.........

Ah-h-h-h, I don't know about that DNA thing WTP...it may ring true in some cases. I know real intelligent, educated people who in my personal experience are just plain stupid by choice. I mean individuals with a BA & a PHD who will still walk out on ice the thickness of a window pane, or take their boat out 10 miles fishing when the lake is rolling with 6 footers, or throw gasoline on a hot barbeque to get the charcoal going, or squeeze the bar of a chain saw between their legs while pulling the start cord..... well you what I mean.

@Jwalsh life is really short so don't shorten it more by a bad choice.

jwalsh
appreciate your report to bad you didn t use a disclaimer stating that the extremely stupid or foolish should not venture out.
in this day and age no one seems to be able to take care of themselves. without proper precautions nothing is safe.

as far as my opinion rotten ice is no good its warming up and the ice is crystalizing very undependable might look good but very bad for swimming lessons I don't want to get any calls to go diving for any bodies so everyone stay clear perch isn;t worth your life soft water is rapidly approaching please stay safe

@Huron, maybe a stupid question, but where was this sign posted, at somewhere near Long Point Bay ? Just curious mostly, because all the year`s Fishing during the late Hard Water Season, I have never seen a sign like this, But it would be an excellent idea to have a sign like that posted for some Angler`s that are not 100% sure if the Season is over or not. Thanks In Advance.

Hi Red Hering. Actually the sign is an old one I came across a couple of years ago at the old Akers Ice fishing location by St. Williams. I simply retrieved it from my photo file to make a point about being safe.
Speaking of that location is there anything going on with the property now? It was closed down when I came accros it and thought what a shame. Such a nice water front location not being used.

@Huron, maybe a stupid question, but where was this sign posted, at somewhere near Long Point Bay ? Just curious mostly, because all the year`s Fishing during the late Hard Water Season, I have never seen a sign like this, But it would be an excellent idea to have a sign like that posted for some Angler`s that are not 100% sure if the Season is over or not. Thanks In Advance.

@Huron, another sign? Where does it end, signs for stupid people are everywhere. I've seen a " THIN ICE KEEP OFF" sign posted in front off a pond of open water. That was funny, should have taken a picture. Another was a sign for" NO TRESSPASING VIOLATERS WILL DIE" at the edge of a 300 foot cliff out east.

When we were in the mountains in Cuba 1 90 degree bend in the road only had half a dozen yellow painted rocks the size of a human head for a barrier to at least a thousand foot drop. My guess is, natural selection weeds out the stupid ones.

When we were in the mountains in Cuba 1 90 degree bend in the road only had half a dozen yellow painted rocks the size of a human head for a barrier to at least a thousand foot drop. My guess is, natural selection weeds out the stupid ones.

No sign though!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks