Fishing Report St. Clair River Night bite - Oct 26th

Fishermanpaul

Haven’t been out in a little bit and decided to head out to the St. Clair river after work with my girlfriend. Lines in the water at 7 and we stopped fishing a little after 9. Ended up with 9 nice fat walleye for the dinner table. The bite was on that night, and I didn’t even bother tying stinger hooks or we probably would have caught a few more short biters for sure. The water was fairly clear and the fish slid from deep to shallow as we fished so we had to adjust our depths from 35-40 ft deep to 25 ish ft.. the river was pretty stacked though and when you were on them you could marks on the bottom otherwise start in a shallower drift next.

Attachments

• EF05D1EF-4EDD-4D08-8E0F-BDFCC3DBDAE1.jpeg
    EF05D1EF-4EDD-4D08-8E0F-BDFCC3DBDAE1.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 77BE660D-EFD9-481A-AA08-CAF183185CC4.jpeg
    77BE660D-EFD9-481A-AA08-CAF183185CC4.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 5D83BEFB-E4CC-4713-94B8-6F1901F707F5.jpeg
    5D83BEFB-E4CC-4713-94B8-6F1901F707F5.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 71
Haven’t been out in a little bit and decided to head out to the St. Clair river after work with my girlfriend. Lines in the water at 7 and we stopped fishing a little after 9. Ended up with 9 nice fat walleye for the dinner table. The bite was on that night, and I didn’t even bother tying stinger hooks or we probably would have caught a few more short biters for sure. The water was fairly clear and the fish slid from deep to shallow as we fished so we had to adjust our depths from 35-40 ft deep to 25 ish ft.. the river was pretty stacked though and when you were on them you could marks on the bottom otherwise start in a shallower drift next.
Amazing walleye fishing there @Fishermanpaul to you both!! 👍👍 I need to follow your boat around the next time with my boat,( my boat 🚤 hasn’t been winterized yet ), to find those St. Clair river “HOT SPOT’S!!” that you are fishing! 😙 Or,just send me your GPS coordinate’s,if you don’t mind!! 🤣 But,like my Avatar says, I will find your fishing spot’s,and I will fish them!! 😌🤪 lol 😆 😉 Enjoy your walleye fry to you both,etc. and well deserved! 🐟🐟😋👍🙂

Last edited:
Fishermanpaul:

Nice walleye haul there. I was wondering what your technique was. Are you vertical jigging on the drift down current. If so, what kind of weight are you needing to get your baits to depth. I haven’t fished that area since the 80’s when a buddy of mine had a cottage on the bank near Sombra and we just fished shallow over some calmer areas with weed beds and just used small jig heads and twister tails in white or yellow. We sure didn’t haul in anything like you did though. Again nice work,👍🏻👌

Amazing walleye fishing there @Fishermanpaul to you both!! 👍👍 I need to follow your boat around the next time with my boat,( my boat 🚤 hasn’t been winterized yet ), to find those St. Clair river “HOT SPOT’S!!” that you are fishing! 😙 Or,just send me your GPS coordinate’s,if you don’t mind!! 🤣 But,like my Avatar says, I will find your fishing spot’s,and I will fish them!! 😌🤪 lol 😆 😉 Enjoy your walleye fry to you both,etc. and well deserved! 🐟🐟😋👍🙂
Aha you’re welcome to follow me around for sure or come in the boat with me sometime! I’m still trying to figure the river out though for sure!

Fishermanpaul:

Nice walleye haul there. I was wondering what your technique was. Are you vertical jigging on the drift down current. If so, what kind of weight are you needing to get your baits to depth. I haven’t fished that area since the 80’s when a buddy of mine had a cottage on the bank near Sombra and we just fished shallow over some calmer areas with weed beds and just used small jig heads and twister tails in white or yellow. We sure didn’t haul in anything like you did though. Again nice work,👍🏻👌
Yeah we’re vertical jigging on the drift and using anything from 5/8th-1 Oz. The key is having a trolling motor and keeping your line vertical, the current and the wind will dictate that day where you point the nose. If it’s windy you point into the wind, if there’s barely or no wind then point upstream and adjust. The current at the bottom is slower so you always have to adjust the boat to stay on top of your bait.

Thanks for the info Fishermanpaul. I may try to give it a shot. Trolling season on Erie for walleye always seems like it’s over way too soon. This might be just the ticket to keep catching and eating!👍🏻

Are you launching out of Sarnia Bay Marina and fishing the mouth of the river ? Lots of boats fishing every morning and evening at that spot. Fish are stacked up there all year long. We were catching smaller ones in the summer but the bigger ones are moving in right now. Nice catch Fishermanpaul.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks