Off Topic Something to think about.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
Lol my Russian is a bit rusty. it's been 35 years since I learned it when I was 15
Had to get help from a Google translator
?
That's where I got it from as to what you said. It's a great tool I use it all the time to converse with friends in Cuba because I don't know Spanish either. ?

I know what you mean about stateside @Josh Roelofsen. We were fishing the Big Manistee river in the late 80's with Float Rods and reels. Dick Swan would just watch in amazement. (Dick was the "founder" of noodle rods) Dick moved quickly to the center pin after seeing the Canadians use them. As for up here we did get some looks as there were only about 5 of use that were using them at the beginning. Most people were bouncing bottom. I still love to bottom bounce and do that when we head to the Big Manistee every fall, but bring out the float rod every now and then for some big water trout.
I would have to say that while float fishing is fun it has truly made a lot of marginal fisher people into what they deem as experts, just about anyone can tell if they have a fish on when the float goes down. Now not everyone can bottom bounce and feel fish vs bottom, still nothing like the feel of a Steelhead trying to rip the rod from your hands on a drift ;)
The Big Manistee is a beautiful river had a few trips there fishing it from shore and from a drift boat . The boat was lent to us by MR Hanson who was also making float reels
Also loved the Little Manistee pretty river reminds me of the Ninemile here just a little smaller
I started with bottom bouncing myself than it evolved into floating, but certain rivers I still prefer bottom bouncing , it's an art itself

The Big Manistee is a beautiful river had a few trips there fishing it from shore and from a drift boat . The boat was lent to us by MR Hanson who was also making float reels
Also loved the Little Manistee pretty river reminds me of the Ninemile here just a little smaller
I started with bottom bouncing myself than it evolved into floating, but certain rivers I still prefer bottom bouncing , it's an art itself

I agree the Big river is something. I have spent many falls on that river in the boat down below Bear Creek. Amazing water. We have become close friends with some of the guides on the river. Always a good time and we now stay at a friends house which is a whole 3 mins from the Bear Creek ramp ?

Hopefully back down this fall if we can get through the COVID.

Tight Lines

RT

Couldn't agree more with float fishing making alot of marginal anglers.....Most are so stuck on the technique now its rediculous :LOL: I still bottom bounce occasionally but absolutely love tossing hardware, particularly on bigger water and in estuaries. Its funny the newbie float guys think they're superior and I see the way they look at me if I walk by in camo hunting neoprenes and a 9 footer and box of spoons and qwikfish thinking 'look at this rube' lol! Smacking a bunch fish always changes the looks of preeminence to envy rather quickly lol! Much like bottom bottom bouncing, the strike with hardware puts watching a float sink to shame....

I'm a millwright myself and very much enjoy playing around on the little lathe and mill I have at home. Sooner or later I'll find the time to turn out a couple centrepins of my own ;)

Josh

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with float fishing making alot of marginal anglers.....Most are so stuck on the technique now its rediculous :LOL: I still bottom bounce occasionally but absolutely love tossing hardware, particularly on bigger water and in estuaries. Its funny the newbie float guys think they're superior and I see the way they look at me if I walk by in camo hunting neoprenes and a 9 footer and box of spoons and qwikfish thinking 'look at this rube' lol! Smacking a bunch fish always changes the looks of preeminence to envy rather quickly lol! Much like bottom bottom bouncing, the strike with hardware puts watching a float sink to shame....

I'm a millwright myself and very much enjoy playing around on the little lathe and mill I have at home. Sooner or later I'll find the time to turn out a couple centrepins of my own ;)

Josh
Lol Josh your rigth on the point about center spinners for the most part , and usually they call themselves that , I'm not a pro stealheader but have met guys and fish with on the river who I would say they are
These guys seldom use centerpin reels but dang it they sure catch fish in the toughest conditions, and don't have the shiny gear with attitude

Trevor if you can read this I’m not sure if you’re a senior or not but I thought of you when I read this today .

I noticed Trevor was posting all hours of the night so maybe he's in a bad place lately with all that's happening in the world on top of his personal life he will bounce back when things improve everyone is on edge with all this shit going on we just keep it to ourselves but we all have our own worries of what's down the road health or financial

I read the site multiple times a day including late/ earlier hours.. who are we to judge whose up when

@Josh Roelofsen ,, good luck with your endeavor making centerpin reels,, if you need a little guidance or info, let me no...I still have a chunk of 5" aluminum for one reel, Pocono

Thanks! I've got plenty of original ideas ans designs....and lots of brains to pick if needed. We have quite the pool of talented reel makers here in Ontario and I'm fortunate enough to call most of them friends :giggle:

Josh

Josh
funny you mention this, i fish Huron rivers my whole life, and the past few years i got bored of the centrepin, and have gone to bottom bouncing with my stradic spinning real, along with tossing hardware. a few new techniques of tossing hardware / bottom bouncing has been a complete game changer for me... i enjoy it significantly more due to like you said the strikes... i found myself walking by a crew of guys all decked out in SIMMS gear, islander reels about a week ago.. and the looks they gave me were comical... not much for a comment guy, but i do read your posts josh and enjoy some fantastic photos you take.. had to reply to this one as it was a direct copy of what happened to me .. take care

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks