Off Topic Something to think about.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

So, things are starting to reopen, slowly. That's what everyone wants, for things to reopen and start getting back to as close to what we called "normal" as possible. We all know when this is all over, things are going to be different. There will be changes. Yet even now, when things are starting to cautiously and slowly be permitted to reopen, which is what we all want, people are still bitching and complaining about it. Why? Is it because very specific things we want open, aren't yet open ie some launches, piers, beaches etc? Is it because for some, none of this should ever have happened? Is it because of the initial response, and the decisions that were made, or not made that maybe should have been? Is it because of all these restrictions and inconveniences that are being lifted for some, but not yet others, including businesses aren't happening fast enough? My guess is, it's probably a lot of all of those things combined. We're all frustrated. But........consider this.

For some of us, this "new normal" the politicians keep saying is coming, is not going to be "new" at all. For people who have disabilities, some of these things that people are bitching and complaining about, they've never been able to do them. For people like me, whose disabilities developed and came later in life, do you know what has changed for me during all of this? NOTHING!!! Stay at home as much as possible? Ok, I've been doing that for the last 6 years. I rarely leave the house and when I do I have something specific to do, and somewhere specific to go to do it, and once I have completed that task, I return home where whether I have had an errand to run or not, I am isolated by myself for approximately 10-12 hours every day while my wife is at work performing her duties in her job that has been deemed essential. That is no different than it was before Covid 19.

As you all know, I "hibernate" every year from October until mid to late April or early May. (That's hockey season right) In the spring summer and early fall, (you know fishing season) I try to get out fishing once a week, providing I can afford to do it, I feel up to doing it, and the weather cooperates. BUT, there are times when I can't afford it, I'm not feeling up to doing anything, and the weather isn't cooperating, so although I try, I don't always get out when I want to.

Businesses are getting financial supports and boosts. Day cares are getting financial supports and boosts. BUT..... there are people right now who have invoked their right to refuse to work in an unsafe working environment in businesses and those sectors of the economy deemed essential who are receiving the CERB, a $2000/month payment ($500/week) from the government IF they have applied and been deemed eligible and therefore approved for that funding. Some of those people are making more by invoking and refusing to work than they would have remaining at work doing their job. The provincial gov't has announced that for some, but not all, still working in those essential jobs, a $4/hr pandemic pay is being given. My wife is still working. She's going to work every day, and doing her job. BUT, her job, although deemed essential, is NOT one of those jobs listed by the government to receive this $4/hr pandemic pay, and so her employer, since they are not being forced to give it, won't.

Do you know what people like me who are disability pension recipients, or those who have retired and receive old age pensions are getting? NOTHING. Not one penny extra!!! We've been forgotten or intentionally left out of those discussions when they took place to determine who would and who would not receive this kind of benefit. I contacted my local MP and asked some questions regarding the CERB, and do you what the response was I got back? SILENCE. Not even an acknowledgement that I had contacted them, which only reconfirms why I didn't vote for that person.

As I have for the past 6 years, I get less than $1000/month. It's my only income, and after I've done my part to contribute to our home by paying the bills I pay, putting gas in my truck (if and when needed) and buy a few groceries, I'm left with $100-$150 to last me for the next 4 weeks, (6 between pays in December and January) I have no other benefits, so any prescriptions I need are paid out of pocket, at full price (which is why I always try to get the slightly cheaper generic brand IF I can) IF I could change places with any of you, knowing if I did I could once again do all those things I once could but no longer can, knowing that if I did, I'd have the kind of money I used to have, if not more, first off, none of you would change places with me, and even if you would, I wouldn't change places with you because what I have been enduring for the past 6 years, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's very frustrating, and it's very painful. Some days are better than others, but I am in pain all day, every day, and for that pain I have over the counter painkillers, and for those days when the OTCPK just don't cut it, I have prescription strength painkillers to take as necessary, when needed, but not only do they put me to sleep, they are highly addictive, so I only take them if absolutely necessary.

Do you know what's going to change for me when this is all over? NOTHING!!! I had no money when this started, and I'm not going to have any extra when it's over. The things I couldn't do yesterday. The things I couldn't do last week. The things I couldn't do when this all started 6-8 weeks ago, the things I haven't been able to do for the past 6 years that I once could but no longer can because of the health issues I have, guess what, I'm STILL not going to be able to do them.

Do any of you have any idea how it feels to have to look at your spouse in a public place and ask them, "can you please tie my shoe for me? I can't bend or kneel down to do it." Do any of you know how it feels to look at your spouse and say to them, "if it weren't for you, I'd be homeless and possibly starving because I don't get enough from my small disability pension to adequately support myself?" Do any of you know how it feels to have to ask your spouse to help you do something as simple as putting on your own socks, because you are unable to do it? Well, I DO know how that feels. It's incredibly embarrassing. It's demoralizing and it's dehumanizing. I KNOW because I have said those words to my wife. I'm just lucky and will forever consider myself to be, because I have a wife who loves me for who I am, not my money. I have a wife who loves me and knows I will and want to do as much as I can on my own, but there will be and have been times where I need a little help to do something as simple as putting on my own friggin socks. Yet there are people bitching about not being able to put their boat in the water and catch a few fish. There are people bitching that things aren't opening up fast enough OR should never have been closed in the first place.

There are 68,848 families in this country right now who have someone in that family who has tested positive for Covid 19. There are 4,870 families in this country who are grieving the loss of a loved one to this illness. I don't think any of those families really care whether people can launch their boats, catch a few fish, use their homes away from home, or any of the many other things being complained about. They're just hoping their loved ones will recover, and for those who have tragically lost someone to this illness, they're just trying to grieve and come to terms with their loss. Some of those families may be people on this forum.

Let's try to remember, we're all frustrated. We're all to varying levels, bored and sick of being stuck at home. We all want things to reopen and go back to being as close to what they were as is possible. BUT, there are always people out there who have never been able to do what you're bitching and complaining about, or who once could, but no longer can.

I just happen to be one of those people, so please forgive me if I don't and can't feel bad in any way that you can't launch your boat when you want to, that you can't necessarily go fishing when you want to, where you want to. (neither can I) Please forgive me that I can't and don't feel bad that you can't do the things you want to do because of the restrictions that were legally put in place, whether we like it or not, because when this is all over, you can, and many of you will go back to doing things you could before any of this happened, but for people like me, NOTHING has changed. This was my every day normal before Covid 19, and it will be my every day normal when it's over. There are people who have been dealing with limitations, and restrictions to what they can or cannot do, some for their entire lives, and others, like me who suddenly found themselves unexpectedly in that situation who cannot "go back" to doing what was once "normal" because life stepped in and knocked us on our asses. We picked ourselves up, and then adapted to what life belted us with. Do the same please. I'm tired of all the bitching and complaining about you not being able to do what you want because you feel you are being wronged. You're not being wronged. You're facing the same thing the rest of us are. You're facing restrictions and limitations to what you can do, just like those of us with disabilities have been enduring in our every day "normal" lives. The only difference, when this is all over, those restrictions and limitations you are facing, will be gone. The ones those of us with disabilities have, will still be there.

Trevor l understand and know where you are coming from. l hurt my back in 2015 and had surgery on it in 2016 was sent back to school to retrain as a Dispatcher already had 3 yrs at it but 10 yrs in Safety & Compliance after Driving for over 30 yrs. WSIB payed me after that up to 65 because no company would hire me as a Dispatcher with my Safety & Compliance Experiance and at 64 yrs young, I got 1/2 of my monthly payment. From them and get lost was their attitude after that and no more money now. Now living on my CPP & OAS just over $1100.00 for the month. Luckely l own my own home and it is paid for so l have Utilitys and taxes to pay out and buy groceries and that is all. Worked all my life and basically get very little. Got to pay for all my Meds and Dental meanwhile those on Welfare and ODSP get all paid for ans l know that for sure because l know people on both and pay less for housing and have more money left for other things and before people start this is true fact and l do not believe that when you turn 65 you lose all benefits but they don't loss any.

“do you know what has changed for me during all of this? NOTHING!!! Stay at home as much as possible? Ok, I've been doing that for the last 6 years.”

“Do you know what people like me who are disability pension recipients, or those who have retired and receive old age pensions are getting? NOTHING”

If nothing has changed for you why would you need more money . The same as people that are retired why would they need cerb? I’m not trying to be a dick I’m just curious

Trevor l understand and know where you are coming from. l hurt my back in 2015 and had surgery on it in 2016 was sent back to school to retrain as a Dispatcher already had 3 yrs at it but 10 yrs in Safety & Compliance after Driving for over 30 yrs. WSIB payed me after that up to 65 because no company would hire me as a Dispatcher with my Safety & Compliance Experiance and at 64 yrs young, I got 1/2 of my monthly payment. From them and get lost was their attitude after that and no more money now. Now living on my CPP & OAS just over $1100.00 for the month. Luckely l own my own home and it is paid for so l have Utilitys and taxes to pay out and buy groceries and that is all. Worked all my life and basically get very little. Got to pay for all my Meds and Dental meanwhile those on Welfare and ODSP get all paid for ans l know that for sure because l know people on both and pay less for housing and have more money left for other things and before people start this is true fact and l do not believe that when you turn 65 you lose all benefits but they don't loss any.

Glad someone other than those closest to me understands where I'm coming from. I don't get anything from WSIB. They jumped in bed with my employer in 2012 when these issues first developed. Told me I was old. I was 42 at that time. 2 years later, the issues had significantly worsened. When I went off work in 2014, I couldn't walk. Told get out of the truck or I'd be in a wheelchair by 50. So, I went back to school, upgraded my education, knowing it was the only chance I had to maybe change careers and find a job. I graduated college with an honors diploma in supply chain management and logistics, several in demand industry certifications and none of them are more than pieces of paper because nobody will hire me. Between the limitations I have, of which there are many, and having only related, but no in role experience, nobody wants to hire me. At least I can say I worked very hard for those useless pieces of paper during very difficult times when I was still having difficulty walking, let doing anything else. Can't sit for too long, can't stand for too long, lifting anything more than 10-15lbs from the ground or a floor, out of the question. Can't even bend to tie my own shoes, so I don't have shoes I have to tie anymore. Just slip ons, and it doesn't take much to pop my back and render me unable to move. My wife is 5" shorter than I am, so even bending in to kiss her can render me unable to move if I'm not careful.

As for the rest of your response, yep I hear ya.

Mine was the same, limited Standing, Limited Seating, Lifting no more than 10lbs, Had all kinds of job offers for Safety & Compliance Had Certifications out the ying yang plus Accident Responder & Investigator but could not drive more tham 20 min or climb up and ride in a truck or l was done. Had to close my own Safety Training & Consulting Company as well could not go and do the training at Trucking Companies. After 10 yrs of building it up. :mad:

“do you know what has changed for me during all of this? NOTHING!!! Stay at home as much as possible? Ok, I've been doing that for the last 6 years.”

“Do you know what people like me who are disability pension recipients, or those who have retired and receive old age pensions are getting? NOTHING”

If nothing has changed for you why would you need more money . The same as people that are retired why would they need cerb? I’m not trying to be a dick I’m just curious

I know you're not trying to be an ass, to me it's a legitimate question, and in all honesty, when this is all over, it may very well be a question that the government gets grilled over big time. So I guess the easiest way for you to understand would be to take whatever you make now, and throw it out, burn it. Ignore anything you have in the bank right now. Ignore your rrsp if you have one. Ignore your investments if you have any. Live on what I have been, less than $1000/month, I won't tell you exact, but I will tell you it's between $850-$950/month (when you used to make that in a week) ignore what your spouse makes, only deal with that number, between $850-$950/month, pay the bills you pay and buy groceries, which add up to more than $800 out of that $850-$950 and then make $100-$150 after you pay all the bills you are expected to pay last you 4 weeks most of the year, or 6 weeks between December 20th ish and the end of January. AND you have NO other benefits of any kind. That is ALL you get, and that is all you have left. It's not as easy as it sounds, even when you don't go anywhere and you don't do anything. There are still little things you need to pick up once in a while that are needed, that will eat into it and if you need to fill a prescription, just forget about those little things, they will have to wait until you get paid again, 4 weeks from now. IF you can afford them then. Remember, you are only getting paid once a month at the end of each month and this is the ONLY income you have. Then put yourself into the position where you are single, and that number does not change. Well, if you're single, you still need a roof over your head. Last time I checked, most rental places in this area for a bachelor are going for $800 or more per month. 1 bedroom apts, $1000 or more, and many are not inclusive and those that are, are hard to get into because people don't leave them. Well, if all you get is that $850-$950/month, you're in BIG BIG trouble, because you can't afford a place to live, and bills, and food. Not on what I get paid through my pension.

To further answer your question, like many people in this country, I have to wear prescription glasses or I can't see. I can't afford to replace the pair I'm wearing, nor can I afford to pay the fee to be seen to determine if I need a new prescription. Do I look at my wife and say "oh hey honey, I need $90 to go see the eye doctor. And then once I've been seen look at her again and say, "oh hi, you don't happen to have an extra $400-$600 just lying around you can give me so I can fill this prescription so I can see do you?" No matter how much you love each other, if you do that, if you become a major burden on your spouse financially, when not all that long ago you were contributing in a much greater capacity financially than you are able to now, it won't be long before the death nails of a marriage, financial difficulties, start to creep into that marriage and destroy it from within. So I don't do that, I pay what she has asked me to pay, and I contribute in other ways by doing most of the "chores" around the house. The cooking, cleaning etc. I don't make those appointments. I can't afford physio or chiro for my back and haven't been able to for 5 years. So I don't get those treatments and as much as I REALLY want to, I don't make those appointments. I can't afford dental work. So I don't make those appointments. Oh well. Too bad for me right? Would you feel that way if it was YOU?

So even though nothing has changed, why would I need a little more money if it was being offered and I was eligible to receive it? I just gave you a whole bunch of reasons.

What about my fishing trips right? Well, I pay for those out of what I've been able to save, and often that will mean I'll use the quarterly gst check I get, (but that's not a lot, less than $50 four times each year. The first one comes in July, the second in October, the third in January and the fourth in April, then it's tax man time again, and they reassess based on your return. ) and add it to what, if anything I've been able to put aside over the winter. BUT, if I've gone fishing and used some of the money I do have for that, and then I need something, well I suffer the consequences of my own stupid spending. BUT if I haven't spent it stupidly, and still can't afford to get what I need. Then I don't and can't get it and if that's a prescription, that could be a big problem depending on what it is a prescription for.

Also, remember that those who are getting the CERB will be taxed on it. So if we're going to be taxed on it anyways, why shouldn't those receiving old age or disability pensions be eligible as well? We are taxed on our pensions no differently than we would be taxed on the CERB IF we were to be considered as being eligible for it.

Now all that said, I know I'm not going to get it because one of the criteria is "must have been working prior to and is no longer working because of Covid 19...." I'm sure you could go knock on 100 doors of those with disabilities, and 100 doors of retirees, especially those still living in their own home and ask them, " if the government offered you the same $2000/month that they are offering those not working because of Covid 19, whether they were forced out due to closures, or voluntarily left their jobs until this is all over, and taxed you as they would anyone else, would you turn it down?" I can't see very many of those you asked, if any at all, saying, "No thank you, I don't need it." Remember, retirees and those with disabilities drawing disability pensions live on very low and very set incomes. To put it into a slightly different perspective for you, if I take what I get from my disability pension, and turn it into an hourly wage based on the number of hours I was working per week before I got hurt, that wage would be $4/hr or less, well below the poverty line anywhere in this country. Could you survive on that? ANYTHING extra that may be offered to us, even if we're going to be taxed on it, is going to help.

Did this satisfy your curiosity and answer your question?

Not really . I understand your want for more money and can sympathize with your situation . That being said Cerb is for people that are out something over covid , retirees and people on disability aren’t out anything as you said nothing has changed . Also not every retiree lives on the government some saved money as you should Cpp isn’t meant to be lived on .

So let me get this right. Because you are disabled and can't fish we shouldn't complain because we can't launch our boats. But I can stand in line or go to any store outside of a restaurant/bar or some retail stores. And there is no safety concern going out in my boat, and the ontario government didn't order boat launches closed, municipalities did, and even so in my opinion its the wrong decision, I shouldn't voice my opinion because you can't physically fish. I can empathize with your physical ailments and inability to enjoy something like fishing, but have zero tolerance in telling me how I should think or feel. To that sir I say keep your opinions to yourself. And why you need to air your life story and problems on a fishing forum is curious and strange. I would encourage you to seek a councilor to work through these problems. Maybe a bunch of fishermen won't give you to response your looking for.
Tight lines boys!

I KNEW someone would respond like this. Someone always does. I didn't tell you how to feel. I told you how I feel and I gave you something to think about. You missed the point AND you misunderstood and because you misunderstood what I said, you took offense to it and in your own polite way, you tried to tell me off. That's ok, I've been told off by people who know me VERY well over far more important things than anything I've ever said at any time since I joined this forum.

So let me clear this up for you if I can.......I can fish, just not everywhere I once could, ie I can no longer stand on a river bank and fish. Don't miss the bushwacking anyways, so it doesn't bother me. If the pier in Pt Bruce was open, I probably would have already been fishing at least once this year. But, it's not and I have not once bitched about it, nor have I bitched about what I can no longer do. I've pointed out the differences between those who are bitching because they are being inconvenienced and restricted from doing what they want to do and those who even when those restrictions and limitations are lifted, there are some who there will always be limitations and restrictions for in one way or another. That there are people who are far worse off than you dealing with far bigger issues than not being able to put a boat in and go fishing. Sorry you misunderstood or don't like that, but that's not an opinion, its a fact. BUT I have not once bitched about NOT being able to do things I want to do, or used to be able to do. I was using them to try to make the point, and ok, maybe I didn't convey that properly, because believe me, and there are others here who could tell you, if there is one thing I do bitch here on a fairly regular basis, it's the honey do lists I get handed from my wife, but I do so in a fun way.

BUT, now that things are starting to reopen, which is what everyone wants, including me, people are still bitching and complaining when even though we don't yet know for sure when those things we want open are going to be, there is much more hope that it's going to be sooner, rather than later now. We can see a slight glimmer of hope off in the distance, but people are still bitching and complaining about it.

Like I said at the end of the original post, when all these restrictions and limitations have been lifted, for you, and maybe I should have worded that to say "for some of you" instead, they will be gone. But for others, specifically those with disabilities who either have never been able to do these things, or people like me who once could do many of them, but now no longer can, the limitations and restrictions will still remain. That's not an opinion, that is a fact.

You are not being wronged. You have been inconvenienced, and just like the rest of us, disabled or not, you don't like it. We have all been inconvenienced by this in one way or another. That is also not an opinion. It is a fact. Nobody likes being inconvenienced or being told they can't do something they once did, and again, believe me, when these physical health issues I have first happened, you bet I bitched about it. But I've adapted now and I wouldn't and don't wish them on anyone, because as I said, they're not fun. But I've also had 6 years of getting used to what most people had shoved on them 6-8 weeks ago, so that does give me a slightly different perspective on things.

I'm just tired of all the bitching and complaining about not being able to do what we want, when we want. You're going to get to put your boats in the water. You're going to get to go fishin, and so will I, eventually. I'll go out on a limb and say those of you with boats will most likely be allowed on the water before I might be allowed to go sit on the pier and to use the argument some of you have used, if that ends up being the reality, then it'll be because they'll say it's not as risky for you out in your boat as it will be for a pier packed full of people trying to catch some fish.

I wrote my fishin season off a month ago before it even started, and usually mid to late April is when I start my fishing season. If I get to go, great. If I don't, just means I'll have to find something else to do, and my wife will more than make sure I have that something else to do, whether I wanna do it or not.

Oh and btw, please don't call me sir. That's my dad, and he'd say it's his. Sir doesn't really fit me, it's like naming your bull, cupcake. It just don't fit. :LOL:

And this is FAR from my life's story. What I've shared, that's just certain things from the past 6 years and I'll be 50 later this year.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really . I understand your want for more money and can sympathize with your situation . That being said Cerb is for people that are out something over covid , retirees and people on disability aren’t out anything as you said nothing has changed . Also not every retiree lives on the government some saved money as you should Cpp isn’t meant to be lived on .

Well, I tried. Sorry I wasn't able to give you what you were looking for. I get it, its one of those things that I was always told about before I got hurt. Never thought it would happen to me, but it did in part because of my own arrogant pride and too much testosterone. I could lift that 250lb whatever by myself. It's wasn't a big package, and I didn't need help. Yeah, if only I could go back and relive some of those moments and make a better decision. Too late now tho. If you haven't been in this position, if you've not had to do what others have to do, it's hard to understand and even harder to visualize yourself in that position, until you are in it.

I did have money saved, unfortunately my EI had expired long before the CPP approval was granted, (took almost a year, and to this day I still don't know what the delay was) and during that year, with no EI and no income, what I had put away slowly but surely disappeared. I still had to pitch in as best I could right. It is what it is, and I wasn't ready or prepared for what happened, nor did I anticipate it. Like I said in another response, it's not like I did nothing when I got hurt. I went back to school to give myself a chance. Just hasn't worked out as expected. But I'm not going to stop looking just because nobody is getting back to me when I do apply on something I think I'll be able to do. Believe me, having gone from making the kind of money I was, with money in the bank, to getting what I do now, and having no money, I'd rather be working. Its why I went back to school and why I still hold onto that little bit of hope that yeah, there is someone out there who will see the potential, before they see the limp. :)

Mine was the same, limited Standing, Limited Seating, Lifting no more than 10lbs, Had all kinds of job offers for Safety & Compliance Had Certifications out the ying yang plus Accident Responder & Investigator but could not drive more tham 20 min or climb up and ride in a truck or l was done. Had to close my own Safety Training & Consulting Company as well could not go and do the training at Trucking Companies. After 10 yrs of building it up. :mad:

I hear ya. Long list of restrictions, no lifting, no climbing, no crawling, no twisting, no bending, no pushing, no pulling, no prolonged standing or sitting and there are more......couldn't climb into a truck now to save my life, and to this day, and only God knows why, I still miss it and can't stand in front of the sink long enough to do the dishes, so they take a while sometimes :LOL:

There's no reason for anyone to feel short on money, disabled or not. If someone wants to be get by on minimal cash flow and have no social life or recreational time, go ahead....But its not like anyone's stuck in that life with no choice. Everyone has skills, everyone can develop skills. Just need to find a way to use those skills and time ;)

Being off work for 2 months I had no issue adapting to keeping myself busy at home and tapped a couple rediculously easy income sources. I still easily bring in enough money to pay the mortgage, bills, put gas in the car, go fishing and continue adding to my obsecene collection of fishing gear :ROFLMAO:

For some perspective, Coronavirus death count in Canada is barely past 1/2 way to the 2018 death toll from flu/pneumonia.....So now that we've levelled off the spread and know who's vulnerable its time to get back to normal. Figure out how to protect those who are vulnerable or personally worried about their health and get the rest of us back to work. I don't wish the sickness upon anyone but were far beyond the point of lockdown being required for outdoor activities, if there ever was one to begin with :rolleyes: My personal opinion is that we've been doing more harm than good for atleast a few weeks now....

Josh

Last edited:
I KNEW someone would respond like this. Someone always does. I didn't tell you how to feel. I told you how I feel and I gave you something to think about. You missed the point AND you misunderstood and because you misunderstood what I said, you took offense to it and in your own polite way, you tried to tell me off. That's ok, I've been told off by people who know me VERY well over far more important things than anything I've ever said at any time since I joined this forum.

So let me clear this up for you if I can.......I can fish, just not everywhere I once could, ie I can no longer stand on a river bank and fish. Don't miss the bushwacking anyways, so it doesn't bother me. If the pier in Pt Bruce was open, I probably would have already been fishing at least once this year. But, it's not and I have not once bitched about it, nor have I bitched about what I can no longer do. I've pointed out the differences between those who are bitching because they are being inconvenienced and restricted from doing what they want to do and those who even when those restrictions and limitations are lifted, there are some who there will always be limitations and restrictions for in one way or another. That there are people who are far worse off than you dealing with far bigger issues than not being able to put a boat in and go fishing. Sorry you misunderstood or don't like that, but that's not an opinion, its a fact. BUT I have not once bitched about NOT being able to do things I want to do, or used to be able to do. I was using them to try to make the point, and ok, maybe I didn't convey that properly, because believe me, and there are others here who could tell you, if there is one thing I do bitch here on a fairly regular basis, it's the honey do lists I get handed from my wife, but I do so in a fun way.

BUT, now that things are starting to reopen, which is what everyone wants, including me, people are still bitching and complaining when even though we don't yet know for sure when those things we want open are going to be, there is much more hope that it's going to be sooner, rather than later now. We can see a slight glimmer of hope off in the distance, but people are still bitching and complaining about it.

Like I said at the end of the original post, when all these restrictions and limitations have been lifted, for you, and maybe I should have worded that to say "for some of you" instead, they will be gone. But for others, specifically those with disabilities who either have never been able to do these things, or people like me who once could do many of them, but now no longer can, the limitations and restrictions will still remain. That's not an opinion, that is a fact.

You are not being wronged. You have been inconvenienced, and just like the rest of us, disabled or not, you don't like it. We have all been inconvenienced by this in one way or another. That is also not an opinion. It is a fact. Nobody likes being inconvenienced or being told they can't do something they once did, and again, believe me, when these physical health issues I have first happened, you bet I bitched about it. But I've adapted now and I wouldn't and don't wish them on anyone, because as I said, they're not fun. But I've also had 6 years of getting used to what most people had shoved on them 6-8 weeks ago, so that does give me a slightly different perspective on things.

I'm just tired of all the bitching and complaining about not being able to do what we want, when we want. You're going to get to put your boats in the water. You're going to get to go fishin, and so will I, eventually. I'll go out on a limb and say those of you with boats will most likely be allowed on the water before I might be allowed to go sit on the pier and to use the argument some of you have used, if that ends up being the reality, then it'll be because they'll say it's not as risky for you out in your boat as it will be for a pier packed full of people trying to catch some fish.

I wrote my fishin season off a month ago before it even started, and usually mid to late April is when I start my fishing season. If I get to go, great. If I don't, just means I'll have to find something else to do, and my wife will more than make sure I have that something else to do, whether I wanna do it or not.

Oh and btw, please don't call me sir. That's my dad, and he'd say it's his. Sir doesn't really fit me, it's like naming your bull, cupcake. It just don't fit. :LOL:

And this is FAR from my life's story. What I've shared, that's just certain things from the past 6 years and I'll be 50 later this year.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum :)

Hindsight is always perfect (20/20). Should’ve would’ve could’ve are easy.
Best we relax until 2020 is in the rear view mirror. Then it’s will be easier for all you politicians to claim victory.
Do what ever makes you feel good if you want but don’t have to try to justify it.

An "obscene collection of fishing gear?" I've always thought of it as being just a never ending work in progress that I had to explain the reasoning behind.???

My soft spot is centerpin reels, particularly locally made pieces. I've added 2 dozen or more to the collection so far this year and have several other high end pieces on order :giggle: Just got a message I have a couple to pick up in Windsor next chance I get to head that way. A 'Rainmaker' and 'Canada Drifter'
Screenshot_20200507-121226_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200507-122950_Gallery.jpg
If at some point my finances do happen to go sideways I should be able to make it comfortably for a year or more on my centerpin investments :p

Josh

My soft spot is centerpin reels, particularly locally made pieces. I've added 2 dozen or more to the collection so far this year and have several other high end pieces on order :giggle: Just got a message I have a couple to pick up in Windsor next chance I get to head that way. A 'Rainmaker' and 'Canada Drifter'
View attachment 22947
View attachment 22948
If at some point my finances do happen to go sideways I should be able to make it comfortably for a year or more on my centerpin investments :p

Josh
Those are nice. Never had the opportunity to use one. Not sure I know how. (I've seen them used on tv, but seeing and doing are two totally different things) I haven't added anything to mine for a long time. I just replace what I used the year before now, and this year, I haven't even done that yet.

I think for me the most frustrating thing is that I've been offered several jobs since this happened. I've been applying on jobs like dispatch, purchasing, things with no physical demands beyond my capabilities, that would primarily see me sitting at a desk with the ability to sit or stand as and when necessary while working. But, I have no in role experience, only related, and it hasn't been good enough. What I do have experience in is driving truck just under 12 years, and restaurant 16 years, most of them cooking. What were they offering me and why did they bring me in for an interview? Even though it is clearly indicated on my resume that I was looking to transition into an office setting and can't drive professionally anymore, they wanted me to jump in a truck and drive for them.:rolleyes: :banghead:

IF I could have done that, I wouldn't have left my career in the first place and I wouldn't have had any reason to say any of the things I did in the initial post of this thread because none of what has transpired over the past 6 years in my life would have taken place. I wouldn't have had these experiences.

Well, I tried. Sorry I wasn't able to give you what you were looking for. I get it, its one of those things that I was always told about before I got hurt. Never thought it would happen to me, but it did in part because of my own arrogant pride and too much testosterone. I could lift that 250lb whatever by myself. It's wasn't a big package, and I didn't need help. Yeah, if only I could go back and relive some of those moments and make a better decision. Too late now tho. If you haven't been in this position, if you've not had to do what others have to do, it's hard to understand and even harder to visualize yourself in that position, until you are in it.

I did have money saved, unfortunately my EI had expired long before the CPP approval was granted, (took almost a year, and to this day I still don't know what the delay was) and during that year, with no EI and no income, what I had put away slowly but surely disappeared. I still had to pitch in as best I could right. It is what it is, and I wasn't ready or prepared for what happened, nor did I anticipate it. Like I said in another response, it's not like I did nothing when I got hurt. I went back to school to give myself a chance. Just hasn't worked out as expected. But I'm not going to stop looking just because nobody is getting back to me when I do apply on something I think I'll be able to do. Believe me, having gone from making the kind of money I was, with money in the bank, to getting what I do now, and having no money, I'd rather be working. Its why I went back to school and why I still hold onto that little bit of hope that yeah, there is someone out there who will see the potential, before they see the limp. :)
Trevor I once complained I have no socks until I met a man with no shoes .You are better off than I am for sure. I agree with jjpiz and ramrod ramps should be open even though I don't need them mental health is needed soon blame will be pushed hard on china and sad to say Chinese Canadians and American. And the old retirees and disabled leaching off the country some politicians have already said we should sacrifice ourselves let alone what's in many others minds that won't share that thought Money is number one and people will always want something just out of reach and won't give up what they have just human nature I enjoy reading your posts and I can tell you are a good person and I know this is not how you wanted these posts to be taken but I can see how a fire got lit . Why are you not on the trillium program and if you are paying bills and food why is your wife not buying your drugs . I know my wife would not eat before seeing me in pain. If she was alive today.

Trevor I once complained I have no socks until I met a man with no shoes .You are better off than I am for sure. I agree with jjpiz and ramrod ramps should be open even though I don't need them mental health is needed soon blame will be pushed hard on china and sad to say Chinese Canadians and American. And the old retirees and disabled leaching off the country some politicians have already said we should sacrifice ourselves let alone what's in many others minds that won't share that thought Money is number one and people will always want something just out of reach and won't give up what they have just human nature I enjoy reading your posts and I can tell you are a good person and I know this is not how you wanted these posts to be taken but I can see how a fire got lit . Why are you not on the trillium program and if you are paying bills and food why is your wife not buying your drugs . I know my wife would not eat before seeing me in pain. If she was alive today.

I knew when I wrote the original post of this thread that some people would possibly misunderstand what I was trying to say and growl about it. Some would totally get what I was trying to convey, and others would be somewhat on the fence, getting it, but at the same time kind of wanting to growl, and kind of not wanting too at the same time. And when I look back through the responses, that's mostly what I've seen, all three of those kind of responses. But you know what I haven't really seen in those responses.......people bitching and complaining. IF they're growling about something, it's not what they have been, which is what they can't do that they have been growling about, it's what I've said that was potentially misunderstood, or they simply don't like what I said.

I titled the thread "something to think about" for a reason, and I put myself out there a little bit, as I've done in past posts in other threads. I used some of my experiences, over the past 6 years. In other threads I've used some of my experiences from 10 years ago. Some people have understood what I was trying to say, others haven't. I expected that. But not by any stretch of the imagination have I divulged my entire life story to anyone, not even close. Just certain aspects of it. Before I got hurt, while I too understood the challenges those with disabilities faced, I could sympathize, but I never really knew just how challenging some of those challenges truly were, until I got hurt and certain of those challenges I thought I understood, suddenly and very unexpectedly became my own reality, and I very quickly realized, I didn't understand them as well as I thought I had. Trying to see it through someone else's eyes, and having to live it, are very much two very different things. I didn't understand that like I do now.

I paid into CPP just like anyone else does for all the years I was gainfully employed. I am not "leeching" off the country, I have utilized a resource available to me that I didn't want to have to utilize, and had I been able to secure a job after upgrading my education, I wouldn't have had any need to utilize. That didn't happen, so I utilized the resource that was available to me, just as those getting the CERB are utilizing a resource that has been made available to them now. For me it's not the CERB that's out of reach, I knew I probably wasn't going to be eligible for it, but that doesn't mean I didn't have questions about it. What's just out of reach for me is that job I keep looking for. What has and continues to keep tripping me up is these two questions..."why aren't you driving truck anymore?" Simple answer, I wanted to be home more. Ok..reasonable and honest answer...that question has always been followed by, "every once in a while there may be a need for you to be able to lift 50-100lbs. Are you comfortable doing that?" I won't lie and say I can when I know I can't so I cannot answer that question with a yes, because I know I can't do that. I used to be able to, but not anymore. Obligatory, "why not" and there ends the interview and any chance I had of getting that job even if in reality, no such requirement may ever have existed. But I still haven't given up, I keep looking, I keep applying on jobs I think I can do. One of these days, maybe I'll hit the jackpot and someone, as I said in another response, will see the potential, before they see the limp. But I also know, it's been 6 years now, and with each passing year, my chances of finding that job diminish that much more.

@Trevor M I sincerely sympathize with your situation. I really do, I have a cousin in the USA in a similar situation on disability (actually I would think his situation is worse), but among your long write-ups (that get sometimes a little close to demagoguery) it is sometimes impossible to follow as to what exactly you are trying to say?

I am not sure how many ways there are to understand an essay-volume of a response, but I read your write-up 3 times during lunch and 3 times I understood it pretty much the same way.

You do like to tell people your life stories (I don't know why but this is something I would not do on a public forum but it's your choice). You are a bit bitching about money (everyone does, and for what this worth, I am totally ok for more of my tax $$$ to go to you instead of, for example, subsidizing "reproductive rights" in some shithole countries like South Africa). And yes, you are telling people how they should or should not feel/behave/respond/you_name_it through the lens of your personal experiences.

I would just summarize it with an old Russian saying, which I am sure exists in many languages but it goes like "Everyone looks at the world from their own ivory tower".

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks