Solo netting...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Before 2020 it was 10 years before i took the boat out solo again... In 2009 a buddy of mine and myself found a unmanned boat in the blue zone... They found him that night face down infront of 50 point... If he was wearing a life jacket there's a good chance he'd still be with us today...

Netting solo can be a challenge with silver fish... I use a small scotty clip on my net handle to basket and bring fish above net and lift... it has a 85% success rate... lol...

Just wonder what others do...

putting the scotty clip on is something I've been meaning to do - thanks for the reminder. On today's chore list - I'd be interested to see a photo of how you attached yours.
It is a challenge for sure when you get 20 plus lbs of muscle fighting to dodge the basket, warp the lines around the downrigger cables, use the motor thrust as an oxygenator - they sure have a full set of net avoidance antics.. I try really hard to net them at the side of the boat where the free draught is the highest, and wait till they are ready. If they are still peeling I play em a bit more hoping the hook is set deep. If its a calm day I will slow right down or even stop as they get closer to the boat. In wind its a different ball game obviously
I always wear the inflatable
I always have the kill switch lanyard on
and if the Xi5 is in use, I have the wireless controller round my neck -
the thought of falling out and watching the boat troll away from me makes these decisions pretty easy - especially in the blue zone.

You can buy the Scotty net clip it has a rubber band type thing that slides up your net handle... the rubber breaks after a couple seasons so I just half hitch a hair elastic...

You can buy a Scotty mini release clip and just add a hair elastic and save a couple bucks... ;)

Before 2020 it was 10 years before i took the boat out solo again... In 2009 a buddy of mine and myself found a unmanned boat in the blue zone... They found him that night face down infront of 50 point... If he was wearing a life jacket there's a good chance he'd still be with us today...

Netting solo can be a challenge with silver fish... I use a small scotty clip on my net handle to basket and bring fish above net and lift... it has a 85% success rate... lol...

Just wonder what others do...

Thanks for this, I had no idea. Will definitely give it a try!

You can buy the Scotty net clip it has a rubber band type thing that slides up your net handle... the rubber breaks after a couple seasons so I just half hitch a hair elastic...

You can buy a Scotty mini release clip and just add a hair elastic and save a couple bucks... ;)
Thanks. I have a serious collection of releases from my early days getting into this trolling thing - before I discovered the Blacks and Chamberlain releases - still sitting in the bargain bins. McGyver time

If I’m fishing solo it’s for bass in 6fow. I couldn’t imagine trolling solo.

Fell Marine MOB+ wireless kill switch for the win. A bit pricey at $200 or so, but it’s a great feeling knowing my boat won’t go far if I fall in while fishing solo. Super easy to install and worth every penny.

As for netting solo, a small release clip attached to the handle holds the slack net back towards the handle and releases when you lift the net/fish. I fish solo 90% of the time and have zero issue with bass, pike, walleye, salmon, trout etc when trolling. Rest the net on the transom, bring the fish to within a couple feet of the boat and scoop it up. A long handled net with a big basket definitely helps.

I have always run a length of rope from the net basket to the handle. Like your idea better.
I do put the Scotty release on my dipsey rods though. That way you know when she fires.

Fell Marine MOB+ wireless kill switch for the win. A bit pricey at $200 or so, but it’s a great feeling knowing my boat won’t go far if I fall in while fishing solo. Super easy to install and worth every penny.
@ch312
Sending PM re installation of MOB+ HUB portion

Jammer, I have the same issue with netting fish solo, I use a release ty wrapped to the handle as well, but an oversized light weight net works the best for me.

Funny thing @jammer , as I was bringing in the two fish, which I usually just use my hand under the belly, I thought wow, if you ever go over Plewes your boat is trolling away from you. It gives you pause for thought on how we can be safer.

Back