Solo netting...

jammer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Before 2020 it was 10 years before i took the boat out solo again... In 2009 a buddy of mine and myself found a unmanned boat in the blue zone... They found him that night face down infront of 50 point... If he was wearing a life jacket there's a good chance he'd still be with us today...

Netting solo can be a challenge with silver fish... I use a small scotty clip on my net handle to basket and bring fish above net and lift... it has a 85% success rate... lol...

Just wonder what others do...

putting the scotty clip on is something I've been meaning to do - thanks for the reminder. On today's chore list - I'd be interested to see a photo of how you attached yours.
It is a challenge for sure when you get 20 plus lbs of muscle fighting to dodge the basket, warp the lines around the downrigger cables, use the motor thrust as an oxygenator - they sure have a full set of net avoidance antics.. I try really hard to net them at the side of the boat where the free draught is the highest, and wait till they are ready. If they are still peeling I play em a bit more hoping the hook is set deep. If its a calm day I will slow right down or even stop as they get closer to the boat. In wind its a different ball game obviously
I always wear the inflatable
I always have the kill switch lanyard on
and if the Xi5 is in use, I have the wireless controller round my neck -
the thought of falling out and watching the boat troll away from me makes these decisions pretty easy - especially in the blue zone.

You can buy the Scotty net clip it has a rubber band type thing that slides up your net handle... the rubber breaks after a couple seasons so I just half hitch a hair elastic...

You can buy a Scotty mini release clip and just add a hair elastic and save a couple bucks... ;)

Before 2020 it was 10 years before i took the boat out solo again... In 2009 a buddy of mine and myself found a unmanned boat in the blue zone... They found him that night face down infront of 50 point... If he was wearing a life jacket there's a good chance he'd still be with us today...

Netting solo can be a challenge with silver fish... I use a small scotty clip on my net handle to basket and bring fish above net and lift... it has a 85% success rate... lol...

Just wonder what others do...

Thanks for this, I had no idea. Will definitely give it a try!

You can buy the Scotty net clip it has a rubber band type thing that slides up your net handle... the rubber breaks after a couple seasons so I just half hitch a hair elastic...

You can buy a Scotty mini release clip and just add a hair elastic and save a couple bucks... ;)
Thanks. I have a serious collection of releases from my early days getting into this trolling thing - before I discovered the Blacks and Chamberlain releases - still sitting in the bargain bins. McGyver time

If I’m fishing solo it’s for bass in 6fow. I couldn’t imagine trolling solo.

Fell Marine MOB+ wireless kill switch for the win. A bit pricey at $200 or so, but it’s a great feeling knowing my boat won’t go far if I fall in while fishing solo. Super easy to install and worth every penny.

As for netting solo, a small release clip attached to the handle holds the slack net back towards the handle and releases when you lift the net/fish. I fish solo 90% of the time and have zero issue with bass, pike, walleye, salmon, trout etc when trolling. Rest the net on the transom, bring the fish to within a couple feet of the boat and scoop it up. A long handled net with a big basket definitely helps.

I have always run a length of rope from the net basket to the handle. Like your idea better.
I do put the Scotty release on my dipsey rods though. That way you know when she fires.

Fell Marine MOB+ wireless kill switch for the win. A bit pricey at $200 or so, but it’s a great feeling knowing my boat won’t go far if I fall in while fishing solo. Super easy to install and worth every penny.
@ch312
Sending PM re installation of MOB+ HUB portion

Jammer, I have the same issue with netting fish solo, I use a release ty wrapped to the handle as well, but an oversized light weight net works the best for me.

Funny thing @jammer , as I was bringing in the two fish, which I usually just use my hand under the belly, I thought wow, if you ever go over Plewes your boat is trolling away from you. It gives you pause for thought on how we can be safer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks