Smelt run

Catch 22

Does anyone fish for smelts and where

So much for food being essential.

As for the smelt, can't really get them if everything is closed down...

I don't know if you now it but the Commercial Fishermen are also shut down because of that horrid virus.
This is news to me. I’m not doubting you but do you have the link to the news article stating this. I’d be interested in reading it and reading if they were forced shut or cause the processor was or just no sales. I tried googling it and can’t find it

This is news to me. I’m not doubting you but do you have the link to the news article stating this. I’d be interested in reading it and reading if they were forced shut or cause the processor was or just no sales. I tried googling it and can’t find it
I live 5mins from Port Stanley and the tugs are susposedly not operating and my nephew has a friend who was working on a tug but now not going out

Last edited:
smelting is a lost art, numbers are way down. haven't see anyone try it in over 20 years. best of lucky, bring some perch fillets for the cookout while you wait for smelt. please post results.

Good luck getting info outta people for smelt. They will be long gone before anyone says anything about it. That’s all sites not just this one.

I have a place at Long Point and over the last 20 yrs, you have a hard time even finding a dead one on the beach.

Not sure about the traditional spots in norfolk any more I remember doing it with my dad when I was real smell with some luck off tp. However myself and a buddy have good luck each year in the east end of Erie both ice fishing and with dip nets. I believe the harbour area we get them ice fishing is sugar loaf but don’t quote me as he lives that way not me. With the dip nets we have had various luck doing it in Welled I believe behind an apartment building in Dennis town or something like that. However for every good night we have doing that we strike out twice. Now we both have small kids and prob been two years since we have done it hope this helps

There is no shortage of smelt... With the changes in our lake they have changed also... Migration and spawning locations have changed... Just like the perch... Shallow gravelly shoals are the preferred area's now...

Not sure when that video was done but I know for a fact the Wheatley fish processors had no smelt run last fall
Last 12 lbs box I bought was old stock and getting freezer burnt ( dogs on a raw diet )
Hope it was just a odd year and this fall brings them back to our tables

WOW smelt... back in the day I was living in Sault Ste. Marie, we used to go up to Haviland Bay and Harmony area.
The good ole boys with big trucks, lots of beer, hot fire and lots of smelt.
That was a lot of fun until we had to clean them all.... even then it was worth it.

2016 according to the date posted.

Not sure when that video was done but I know for a fact the Wheatley fish processors had no smelt run last fall
Last 12 lbs box I bought was old stock and getting freezer burnt ( dogs on a raw diet )
Hope it was just a odd year and this fall brings them back to our tables

We use to go to the peir front right at the water front at the ambassador bridge where the trains use to load the ferry when we were kids with dip nets with dad and use to bring home pail fulls … those were the days.....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks