Slowing troll speed?

Jello

I was able to break in my new boat this weekend. I wanted to see how slow it would troll. I could only get it down to 2.6 GPS speed at idle. It's a 16' Lund Rebel with a 60hp CT Merc.

I'd like to get in the 1.8-2.2mph range and I'd rather have the engine running above idle speed. I'll be using the bow trolling motor to steer and lock headings.

I was thinking two troll bags/drift socks off each side of the bow. I'm not sure what size or brand to go with though? Any suggestions?

I was able to break in my new boat this weekend. I wanted to see how slow it would troll. I could only get it down to 2.6 GPS speed at idle. It's a 16' Lund Rebel with a 60hp CT Merc.

I'd like to get in the 1.8-2.2mph range and I'd rather have the engine running above idle speed. I'll be using the bow trolling motor to steer and lock headings.

I was thinking two troll bags/drift socks off each side of the bow. I'm not sure what size or brand to go with though? Any suggestions?
I haven’t got my own yet
But was recommended a product called
“Troll control”

was trying to use my trolling motor to keep me straight but for some reason it kept trying to turn me around
not sure what I’m doing wrong
Looks so easy on YouTube videos.

Amish outfitters beefy bags. The strongest bags there is. The guy is very helpful and will tell you exactly which ones to get for your boat and needs. But I believe you would be fine with 22 inch bags as that is all I needed for our 21 foot islander

Last edited:
Your thinking is what we went with and have used for 4 years and have worked perfect - They’re blue - BPS own brand and I think 30 inch - one out each side of bow. In boat and won’t be down for a couple of weeks but don’t think bigger than 30 inch - maybe even 24 inch - easy to pull out as just pull on yellow rope and turns upside down
Good Luck

@Sudachanko That's an option as well. Do those plates hamper anything performance wise when not in use? Are they easily removable?

@lazywave Thanks, I will have a look at those.

@Bones Those are the ones I was thinking. Wasn't sure if you could troll with them or just drift. Good to hear they hold up for trolling.

Run your main at idle. Make your trolling motor work a little. If not. You will go in a circle. I run a 80 lb minnkota with I pilot. I set the course I want and set the cruise to what ever Speed I want. Example. 2.4 knots. Then increase throttle on main or kicker until Minn Kota is working at 40% power. This gives it enough power to pull the bow in desired direction without killing the batteries. 4-5 hrs trolling time easily. 24 volt system. 196 Princecraft

there is also a product called troll master to remotely run your kicker throttle. It’s about $400

I made one myself for $60.

few goodies from Amazon and an old rc servo from a buddies old plane. Ran it yesterday. Controlled my speed in 1/10 th knot increments.

Last edited:
Run your main at idle. Make your trolling motor work a little. If not. You will go in a circle. I run a 80 lb minnkota with I pilot. I set the course I want and set the cruise to what ever Speed I want. Example. 2.4 knots. Then increase throttle on main or kicker until Minn Kota is working at 40% power. This gives it enough power to pull the bow in desired direction without killing the batteries. 4-5 hrs trolling time easily. 24 volt system. 196 Princecraft

there is also a product called troll master to remotely run your kicker throttle. It’s about $400

I made one myself for $60.

few goodies from Amazon and an old rc servo from a buddies old plane. Ran it yesterday. Controlled my speed in 1/10 th knot increments.
Makes sense
That’s probably what my problem was thank you

I was getting my troll going with main motor then trying to set the trolling motor

Makes sense
That’s probably what my problem was thank you

I was getting my troll going with main motor then trying to set the trolling motor
What brand of trolling motor you have ?
So just a little insight for the feature on the trolling motor have , at least on mine its a Minnkota, on the remote there is a button "N" when you press it once it will activate the steering on the unit but it will not compensate for wind / current , it will face in the same direction as last adjusted by you , Now if you press the "N" button and hold for 2 second you will see a different symbol on the remote screen , this will always keep that gps heading and automatically correct / turn the unit as needed without you needing to adjust , if you want to change course use the arrow buttons
Just want to inform you on this incase you were not aware of it

@Ticker
I was pressed the N button but I did not hold it
Maybe that’s also something I did wrong. I’ll get the hang of it
It’s minnkota Terrova

seemed to work great the first time I set it. But when we turned around to come back it kept trying to turn me around so I gave up on the autopilot the rest of the day lol

So just a little insight for the feature on the trolling motor have , at least on mine its a Minnkota, on the remote there is a button "N" when you press it once it will activate the steering on the unit but it will not compensate for wind / current , it will face in the same direction as last adjusted by you , Now if you press the "N" button and hold for 2 second you will see a different symbol on the remote screen , this will always keep that gps heading and automatically correct / turn the unit as needed without you needing to adjust , if you want to change course use the arrow buttons
Good to know. I have not played around with the iPilot auto pilot yet.

@Ticker
I was pressed the N button but I did not hold it
Maybe that’s also something I did wrong. I’ll get the hang of it
It’s minnkota Terrova

seemed to work great the first time I set it. But when we turned around to come back it kept trying to turn me around so I gave up on the autopilot the rest of the day lol
100 % that's the problem, even when I'm jigging and moving around with the trolling motor, I use that feature
Try next time it will work great 👍

Is that the legacy auto pilot feature or what ever they named it

i didn’t know it was that easy to select. I’ve always done it the hard way through the settings. Go figure

either way. I’ve only had it spin around when I ran the kicker too fast for the minn Kota to keep up

Is that the legacy auto pilot feature or what ever they named it

i didn’t know it was that easy to select. I’ve always done it the hard way through the settings. Go figure

either way. I’ve only had it spin around when I ran the kicker too fast for the minn Kota to keep up
I'm not sure what they call it , I tried looking it up but now so many new / different remotes they make , I don't have it linked to sonar unit or to my phone , only using the remote that came with it
Looking at some of the newer systems the remote configuration changed and by the looks of it there is a dedicated button for that function
It's like everything else electronic by the time you get home with it it's already absolute and there is a new and improved version 🙄

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks