Off Topic Skeg Repair

Mickey Finn

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
While up at the French River fishing with Stomp & a few friends we clipped a rock pile coming back in the evening.
I took about 3 inches off the skeg.
The prop & the bullet (that houses the gears in the lower unit were spared).
Does anybody know a good place in the London area that does skeg repairs?
I did look at a job done by Xtreme Metal Worx in London & you could see the weld lines.
I want a job done that's going to return it to it's former glory.
Thanks...

Took the skeg almost clean off of a 90 hp Evinrude years ago fishing out of Hartley bay on the lower French. Instead of repair I installed a Skegguard, worked great.

While up at the French River fishing with Stomp & a few friends we clipped a rock pile coming back in the evening.
I did look at a job done by Xtreme Metal Worx in London & you could see the weld lines.
Thanks...
@Mickey Finn sorry to read about you losing your skeg on a rock pile! 👎 My nephew who had his skeg replaced twice now off his 90 4 stroke Mercury outboard motor,highly recommends @Xtreme Marine in Nilestown,for he said that they do an excellent job!! Hoping that this helps you,and all the best! A couple of photo’s before and after of my nephews broken,and then fixed skeg. 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1795.jpeg
    IMG_1795.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 95
I would recommend Kawartha Prop. Friend had skeg and one blade of a prop broken off on a rock. This was a few years ago, but they have a pickup/drop off guy that travels to spots around Ontario. After the repair you could not tell which blade had been repaired and the skeg looked perfect.

Thanks...
Hey @Mickey Finn I'm Ryan the manager at Xtreme Metal Worx. We can definitely do this job for you and blend it out nicely so you can't see the weld. Sometimes on bad breaks it's better to leave a little weld showing as it's stronger. (The more you sand off the weaker it is.) Give me a call if we can help- 519-453-0696 thanks!

I unfortunately deleted the skeg off my fathers boat off a shoal in tobermory, 25mph took the skeg and all 3 blades of the prop. If you know someone who can weld cast aluminum you can find a template online. My dad had a machinist at his work do it for him. Could grind the weld to blend but keeping it visible keeps it the strongest as I understand.

Attachments

• 6F08D04A-0474-4B5C-8FB4-4D7AB88ECF70.jpeg
    6F08D04A-0474-4B5C-8FB4-4D7AB88ECF70.jpeg
    421.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 84EFBBA7-099E-49EF-BBB5-B0EB13F0E7CF.jpeg
    84EFBBA7-099E-49EF-BBB5-B0EB13F0E7CF.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 29
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks