sewer outflow fishing+big coyote

Johny2

Went for a mornin drive with a mc cafe new years day,watched a diehard fishing for buffoon sized 30 lb carp in a sewage outflow area,not quite a pleasant area like nanticoke outflow.Then on the way back home i spotted a huge city dwelling yote near a truckin company followed him across the street darting through a cemetery...if you could hunt in the city this nice specimen would a made a nice mount for the rec room.These yotes are shifty quick,you also would need a good eye,steady arm.A big boy yote like this must be feasting on squirrels and cats. Wondering if its a mixed hybrid with a german shepard or husky mixing with wild city coyotes?

My buddy linked the pictures on facebook so I could post them, here they are!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151420816107495.537133.505412494&type=1&l=ab21373381

There is a new strain called eastern coyote, if I'm not mistaken they are a wolf/yote hybrid.....check it out on google. These new much larger critters have been well documented! Awesome that you got such a good look at such an elusive critter! What town was it in?

East hamilton near red hill creek expressway an QEW..i watched it run very swift,shifty and alert soon as i clicked my blackberry phone cam it looked over at me,it looks well fed.

I agree with Jammer -- that's not a pure eastern coyote as the fur is too light, the face too broad, and the bone structure to massive.

I hope that they don't get too bold. I wouldn't want to run into some of those when I'm on some of the more isolated tribs.

Speaking of running into, I ran into one of those at night with my van about 5 weeks ago just west of St Thomas - it caused $1200 of damage to the front bumper cover. Merry Christmas to me - minus $500. The darn thing got up after I ran it over and took off. Tough animal.

WR

having shot quite a few around here i'd say that's just a normal yote for this area with a light coat, assuming that's a 4 ft chain link fence. the reason it looks larger and fat is the thick fur they get in the winter which is the reason people who sell hides wait until this time when the hides are prime and most valuable.

the face and legs are "yote" too ;)

After a more detailed look at the pic... I would say Coydog forsure probably bred with a German Shepard... Ch312... Do you have any pics of the ones you have shot??

Over my 30 years of bow hunting I have seen on occasion normal looking domestic dogs running and hunting together with coyotes. So I have no doubt they interbreed with each other. I'm not sure you could possibly tell a coy-dog buy merely colour as I've seen many variations of colour on coyotes.

No,never hunted one,know hunters who have,jus took the pics of the yote cus it looked different,it was runin around in city limits,no hunting,only HWY 53 south hamilton hunting is allowed I believe.I was jus sayin it would be a tricky shot for a hunter because they seem so quick,shifty I watched that yote didn't seem to sit still for a second,like it was spooked..that's all.

quote:
Originally posted by jammer

After a more detailed look at the pic... I would say Coydog forsure probably bred with a German Shepard... Ch312... Do you have any pics of the ones you have shot??

I have a pic or two ill post later when I'm on the computer. I don't even take pics of most deer I shoot, so the yote pics definitely don't happen too often.

The fence (size) and body shape suggest its just an average yote. Tons of "huge 50-60 lb yotes" get shot every year, but they almost always mysteriously lose a bunch of weight before hitting the scale or "a scale wasn't available".

What I'm saying is its easy for a 35-40 lb (average for our area) yote to be mistaken for a much larger canine, especially when you have a different color phase mixed in. Add the "big coyote" statement from the OP and you have the perfect recipe for a wide variety of theories.

I'm just waiting on some snow so I can get out there and blast a few ...

quote:
Originally posted by wallywalleye

I'm not sure you could possibly tell a coy-dog buy merely colour as I've seen many variations of colour on coyotes.

I agree :D

i'll have to find the other pics on the SD cards that i hope i removed from the old desktop before we got rid of it. this is the only one i have uploaded on photobucket.

this animal was a weighed 41 lbs and looked to be the same size as my 70 lb lab as it was walking 40 yards away through the bush. much like your furry dog or cat, yotes with winter fur look much larger than they actually are.

unlike the lighter one posted by the OP, this one was actually slightly darker than most yotes i see around here. but, it's body shape and size was 100% the same as every other yotes i've shot.

yote1.jpg

That looks like that yote took a slug right to the boiler maker! I imagine he didn't go to far after that!

I sent the photos to a friend of mine who is the former Fur-bearer Biologist in NB. His response was:

"I wouldn't say it's a pure coyote, but it looks to have some coyote traits, so quite possibly a hybrid."

In my professional opinion (and I'm no expert) I believe it to be a coyote crossed with a Yorkshire terrier.8D

quote:
Originally posted by Jwalsh

That looks like that yote took a slug right to the boiler maker! I imagine he didn't go to far after that!

shot with a 22-250 @ 40 yards. 1.5 yard recovery :D

fresh snow and cold temps tonight will make for a great day for calling tomorrow. go get em boys :D

Nice yote you got! I'm heading out with a new crew sometime soon (hopefully), I'll post results and pics afterwards. I'm itching to try out my new .223:D

went out with high hopes today making 3 stands before dark and all that came to the decoy were a red tail hawk and some crows. but, i did walk up on one yote and spook it without seeing it. it was snowing good and the tracks were sharp and we were heading straight towards each other.

next time he'll try his hand at catching some lead :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks