Sept 16 Burwell Fish and a Seagull..

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Out today at Burwell. 34.5 fow. Greasy chicken all around on dipsy 3 setting 120 and 125 back. 24 boated 6 for the trip home. Caught myself a seagull. Was reeling in a small fish, the gull flew into my line and caught itself on the tip of its wing. It knew it was going any where. Just sat and let me reel it in. I unwound the line from around the tip of its wing and off it went. They sure do have soft feathers.
20230916_084242.jpg20230916_072452.jpg20230916_073254.jpg

Another fine day in the neighborhood. 😁

Congrats @Cap'nkirk .

It would have been nice to have a picture of your feathered friend.🤗

Maybe a next time. 😉🌻

Last edited:
I saw a guy do that 40 years ago at the Goderich harbour. The gull went nuts when he reeled it in. As soon as he reached down to get the hook from his lure out of the gulls feathers the gull pecked the top of his hand like a machine gun! The bird ended up freeing itself from the hook with all the commotion. The guys hand looked like it went through a meat grinder. Another fisherman wrapped the guys hand up and took him to the hospital. He returned hours later with his hand wrapped up much better and a story..."22 pecks = 44 stiches". I guess gulls beaks are as sharp as a razor. Good job on your release Cap'nkirk! Nice to see the bird behaved...and your hand is stich free!

@anonymoose see I do return things I find out there as well as your floating fishing tackle...LOL
And here I just looked at the video and thought you were trying a new muskie lure!!

In my younger days I was touring a sewage treatment plant. Our tour guide was an assistant professor and we were chatting about fishing. Apparently he entangled a duck while out fishing, which somehow became fatal for the duck. Not wanting it to go to waste, he took it home and ate it. The following day was his first tour of the sewage treatment plant, right next to where he was fishing on the river. When he came into the plant, he saw all the ducks sitting on the sewage settling tanks, and flying back and forth to the river. I guess that, combined with the smell of the place, didn't sit to well with him and he wound up chumming the settling tank.

And here I just looked at the video and thought you were trying a new muskie lure!!

In my younger days I was touring a sewage treatment plant. Our tour guide was an assistant professor and we were chatting about fishing. Apparently he entangled a duck while out fishing, which somehow became fatal for the duck. Not wanting it to go to waste, he took it home and ate it. The following day was his first tour of the sewage treatment plant, right next to where he was fishing on the river. When he came into the plant, he saw all the ducks sitting on the sewage settling tanks, and flying back and forth to the river. I guess that, combined with the smell of the place, didn't sit to well with him and he wound up chumming the settling tank.
@anonymoose I see duck’s 🦆🦆 constantly around the Greenway sewage treatment plant outflow,that dumps into the Thames River there in London,while I am riding my bike on the bike trail,along the Thames River. I wonder at times,how these duck’s would taste,where they are legally shot outside of the city,during the duck hunting season? 🦆😋🤔 Who knows where the duck’s have been feeding,and where they have been coming from? It’s domestic duck’s that I occasionally buy & eat from a local grocery store,but those domestic duck’s aren’t cheap to buy!! 😉👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1237.jpeg
    IMG_1237.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 11
I worked at the main treatment plant in Toronto for 35 years and dealt with a lot of ducks in our final settling tanks. Some got swept into the scum trough and in the winter some would freeze to the concrete walkways after swimming in the warmer effluent. Not a pretty sight to see a bird rip the breast feathers off or break it's wings trying to get unstuck. Fellow workers joked with me about the easy duck hunting there but I told them they taste like shit. Considering the thousands of sewage lagoons out there chances are maybe the duck I just shot sat in one but the reality is they are not much worse than any other swamp/marsh as opposed to an industrial or large city wastewater treatment plant that uses chemicals to process the influent. Bon appetit ?

Years ago we were duck hunting at Nanticoke on the large rock berm jutting into the lake. Just after dawn I noticed a commotion on the rocks. Upon investigating we found a merganser with it's breast frozen to the rocks. He was flapping like hell but couldn't get free. Back in those days there was no limit on mergansers because they tasted like shit. I didn't want to shoot the stupid thing and I certainly wasn't wasting any of my hot coffee on the bird. Nope, we both whipped them out and pissed all over the bird. The ice melted and away he went. Had a good laugh over that one!!

Years ago we were duck hunting at Nanticoke on the large rock berm jutting into the lake. Just after dawn I noticed a commotion on the rocks. Upon investigating we found a merganser with it's breast frozen to the rocks. He was flapping like hell but couldn't get free. Back in those days there was no limit on mergansers because they tasted like shit. I didn't want to shoot the stupid thing and I certainly wasn't wasting any of my hot coffee on the bird. Nope, we both whipped them out and pissed all over the bird. The ice melted and away he went. Had a good laugh over that one!!
I died reading that. That is hilarious

TOTALLY HILLARIOUS!!!!OMG!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks