Sensitive Downrigger rod?

Centerspin

I like to fish off downriger more then anything. But to see a walleye bite is tricky. For me an older twisted guide Fenwick HMX and even better a really old 9' Shimano Triton Medium action work the best. I also have an old 9' uglystick its sensitive allright but zero backbone - lost some big fish on it twice and stopped using it.

Whats everyone else using as an Erie downrigger rod?

Was thinking of adding a mooching rod like luhr jensen legacy mooching rod to an arsenal to go with my shimano moochong reel. Will this be sensitive enough for walleye?

9 foot Berkeley roughnecks. Best rigger rod ever made, from kings to picks it will beat them all, with a hella big bend in the rod! I have 3 stashed away in case of breakage

I’m going to try this medium lightening rod I bought from Grimsby tackle $60.00 8.5 long . Looks like it should work good for walleye and spring fishing on Lake Ontario and maybe for steelhead on the lower

Shimano TDR 8.6ML - absolutely amazing rod for Lake E walleye off riggers. Also Okuma Blue or White Diamond 8.6 ML, they are little bit less "light" than TDR while being more $$$. All 3 are great light-weight rods for downriggers. I personally have 2x TDR 8.6 ML and 2x White Diamond 8.6 ML, and TDR is the BETTER one for walleyes, so I use the WD as an SWR / 3-color leadcore rod. Also, I use a Scotty planer board release (small one) for downrigger.

Last edited:
I "BURY" JLM Erie Twist rods in the riggers... I use them from everything... Walleye and Kings... flat line, rigger, leadcore, weighted steel... I carry 15 of them on my boat... 13 8.5' and 2 10'... They are a remake of the old Walker Chinook Twist rod... Best bang for your buck and they take a beating... When your rods all match its easy to spot when one is wonky... Pay attention to where your line enters the water on your rigger as well...

Alot of guys think they were dragging a walleye on there rigger when its there when they release it... Alot of times they will follow that spoon and when it rises they smack it...

LITTLE DETAILS CATCH FISH!!!

9 foot Berkeley roughnecks. Best rigger rod ever made, from kings to picks it will beat them all, with a hella big bend in the rod! I have 3 stashed away in case of breakage
Right on Porkpie, I have 3 and would like to get my hands on a few more.
They get something good and quite making them.

You should try the Chamberlin release. You can set the sensitivity. I have set it up and it has released on a perch.
Agreed, set up properly the Chamberlain will release a perch. That said though sometimes a walleye will swallow and swim along with you.

I have 8'6" medium Ugly Stik's for those sensitive moments. When the little fish grab on and the release doesn't go, you can see it in the rod. I also redo my releases so they are on 12 inches of cable instead of the 4-6 (or less) they come with. It gives the lighter bite a little more movement.

I have tried chaberlain release, not a fan. I want to be able to see a strike. Lots of great ideas, unfortunaly most are like my old rods, ecxept ML TDR nothing is currently sold, at least I could not find anything else.

I have tried chaberlain release, not a fan. I want to be able to see a strike. Lots of great ideas, unfortunaly most are like my old rods, ecxept ML TDR nothing is currently sold, at least I could not find anything else.

You alone decide what a Chamberlain shows you when a fish strikes, and at what tension it will release.

I have found a happy medium with them and seldom miss a strike including running sliders.

Not for everyone but they are what I use.

I second @Centerspin . I was shown this release at Outfitters last year and I dislike it since the moment I saw it. I understand that some things are liked by some and vice versa. I use Scotty big releases for O and small for E. The small ones pull out every time a walleye bites, you need to put the mono at the very end (the strongest grip).

I had a situation when I was trying to pop the rod from Chamberlain and ended up breakng the line at the release.

This is my mono DR rod, good, bad or horrible, such as it is.

ecst.jpg

It's easy to identify in the rod locker (there's only one like it) and it catches fish too.

I used the Fenwick 10.5 medium mooching rod. Great Back bone for Salmon on Ontario and light enough for the walleyes on Erie.

I want to add 2 more cents - the best thing you can do is to visit your local tackle store, pick up all the rods we all have mentioned and check which one will be best for you.

I remember late 2019, I was so upset (my first outings without my senior fishing buddy) because I could not see at least 1/2 of all the walleye bites on Erie on okuma rods I had back then. I actually tried to re-purpose the 2x Fenwick EADR90MH-MC-2, they wobble very nice but not as nice as the TDR, plus I did not like the lack of place to grab the rod before the reel, i.e. there is an inch of cork before the reel and that's it so I had sold these into good hands.

Then I got to SAIL when the new TDRs just came out winter 2020 and I was totally blown away how that TDR wobbles. I think there even may have been a post on that in early 2020. You should absolutely go and see all the rods and make the best choice for yourself. Cheers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks